Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 129 of 350
« First < 2979119127128129 130131139179229 > Last »
Health and Fitness>Pumping Iron with Zemekone and Icehog3
BigFrank 02:17 PM 09-10-2009
Off to the gym in a few going to do a little Deadlifting then some other stuff. Don't think it will be much.
The Professor 04:07 PM 09-10-2009
Originally Posted by BigFrank:
Off to the gym in a few going to do a little Deadlifting then some other stuff. Don't think it will be much.
Hope your calves and biceps exercises went well. :-)

off to the gym for some cardio and to train the DrMS....
BigFrank 04:50 PM 09-10-2009
Pulled tonight, then some rows and shrugs. That was bout it.
Chris. 09:17 PM 09-10-2009
Just had a good workout. My legs are beat. Started with pull ups to squats, to bent over rows, to leg press, to seated rows. I can barely stand.
The Professor 06:27 AM 09-11-2009
just had my sh*ttiest workout in memory. it's shoulder day; but my arms are totally effin shot from squats. yup ... low bar position is a biotch. of course, I didn't realize this until I was doing overhead presses. my triceps were hurting so bad and so deeply that I almost couldn't take it. been close to tears a couple of times in the last hour. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuk. :-)

followed the overhead presses with lateral raises. Worked up in 10-20lb increments from 130 to 200lbs (5-8 reps each). followed those up with rear delt raises. 175 (a warmup for me) hurt so bad, on my triceps and my lower bis, that I called it quits then and there.

i'm taking the weekend off and need to rethink the order of lifts for next week. I'd rather not change things too radically because I only have 2 weeks left on this cycle; but at the same time, this order isn't going to work. hmmmmmm.... :-)
PeteSB75 07:47 AM 09-11-2009
Originally Posted by The Professor:
just had my sh*ttiest workout in memory. it's shoulder day; but my arms are totally effin shot from squats. yup ... low bar position is a biotch. of course, I didn't realize this until I was doing overhead presses. my triceps were hurting so bad and so deeply that I almost couldn't take it. been close to tears a couple of times in the last hour. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuk. :-)

followed the overhead presses with lateral raises. Worked up in 10-20lb increments from 130 to 200lbs (5-8 reps each). followed those up with rear delt raises. 175 (a warmup for me) hurt so bad, on my triceps and my lower bis, that I called it quits then and there.

i'm taking the weekend off and need to rethink the order of lifts for next week. I'd rather not change things too radically because I only have 2 weeks left on this cycle; but at the same time, this order isn't going to work. hmmmmmm.... :-)
Weird that the squat bothered you that much. I go with a relatively low back position, bar about the middle of my shoulder blades, and while occasionally, I will feel it in my wrists, my arms never do more than steady the bar. The full weight is always on my back. The only thing I can think of is that maybe you are not leaning forward enough? It does wind up being a more forward position the lower the bar is. At the bottom of my squat, the base of my ribcage is almost on my knees. When I am standing, I am leaning slightly forward, how much depends on the weight on the bar, more weight = more lean. I also go with a wide grip on the bar, my hands are at the outer edge of the knurl, almost to the plates, arms about 3/4 extended. Basically, your center of gravity is going to be over the middle of your feet. When you are lifting, that means the bar is over your feet for the whole lift - with a low back bar position, that puts you leaning quite a bit further forward than with a high back bar position. Gotta stick that butt out and keep your chest up.
Chris. 09:19 AM 09-11-2009
Middle of your shoulder blades? Good lord!
The Professor 11:02 AM 09-11-2009
Originally Posted by PeteSB75:
Weird that the squat bothered you that much. I go with a relatively low back position, bar about the middle of my shoulder blades, and while occasionally, I will feel it in my wrists, my arms never do more than steady the bar. The full weight is always on my back. The only thing I can think of is that maybe you are not leaning forward enough? It does wind up being a more forward position the lower the bar is. At the bottom of my squat, the base of my ribcage is almost on my knees. When I am standing, I am leaning slightly forward, how much depends on the weight on the bar, more weight = more lean. I also go with a wide grip on the bar, my hands are at the outer edge of the knurl, almost to the plates, arms about 3/4 extended. Basically, your center of gravity is going to be over the middle of your feet. When you are lifting, that means the bar is over your feet for the whole lift - with a low back bar position, that puts you leaning quite a bit further forward than with a high back bar position. Gotta stick that butt out and keep your chest up.
I understand the mechanics of it. That's not the problem. The problem is a non-regulation bar (too fat) and poor joint mobility. I wrap my wrists (I have to given their effed up condition); but the movement requires more tris and bis than you'd think. Couple that with PRs on bench on Monday and one helluva back day (some tris there, too), and it's just a perfect storm. So I guess I can't blame it entirely on the squats. I just hit it a bit too hard this week and possibly didn't warm up enough this morning. oh well. I'm not Injured ... just hurt (if that makes sense).
PeteSB75 01:25 PM 09-11-2009
I understand the mechanics of it. That's not the problem. The problem is a non-regulation bar (too fat) and poor joint mobility. I wrap my wrists (I have to given their effed up condition); but the movement requires more tris and bis than you'd think. Couple that with PRs on bench on Monday and one helluva back day (some tris there, too), and it's just a perfect storm. So I guess I can't blame it entirely on the squats. I just hit it a bit too hard this week and possibly didn't warm up enough this morning. oh well. I'm not Injured ... just hurt (if that makes sense).
Gotcha. I say go give your gym sh*t about the crappy bars again :-)
The Professor 06:19 AM 09-14-2009
I think I need a break. My tris were killing me today in the gym. Also noticed a bruise on the same spot on each arm's biceps ... and can't for the life of me figure out how they got there. :-) Anyway, perhaps the tris are my body's way of telling me it's time to take a week off and come back with a switch-up (hypertrophy, in my case).

I think I'm going to listen....
PeteSB75 06:23 AM 09-14-2009
Ok lifting yesterday. Cleans, Incline Bench and lat pulldowns. I'm working up to being able to do actual pullups, need to get stronger, but also lose some weight, I think...
The Professor 06:31 AM 09-15-2009
I lied. I didn't listen. I lifted today. :-) Her siren song is just too tempting. :-)

Deadlifts with no straps (need to work on grip)

135 x 10
225 x 5
315 x 5
405 x 1
465 x 1F (grip failed at the top)
465 x 1F (grip failed again)
500 x 0/FAIL (strapped in -- I figured if I was gonna cheat, I should try some real weight)

315 x 5
315 x 5
315 x 5

Did a couple sets of under-hand rows and called it quits. I was beat. I'm really curious what I can pull with a regular 1" bar. Given that grip is weaker on a fatter bar, I'm very confident I could do 465. I might could even do close to 500. :-)

I'd love a hot bath right about now. Unfortunately, that's gonna have to wait....

Grip work tomorrow, methinks.
PeteSB75 06:56 AM 09-15-2009
Deloading day for me. Squats, rows, dips and some leg raises.
DavenportESQ 10:18 AM 09-15-2009
I lied. I didn't listen. I lifted today. :-) Her siren song is just too tempting. :-)

Deadlifts with no straps (need to work on grip)

135 x 10
225 x 5
315 x 5
405 x 1
465 x 1F (grip failed at the top)
465 x 1F (grip failed again)
500 x 0/FAIL (strapped in -- I figured if I was gonna cheat, I should try some real weight)

315 x 5
315 x 5
315 x 5

Did a couple sets of under-hand rows and called it quits. I was beat. I'm really curious what I can pull with a regular 1" bar. Given that grip is weaker on a fatter bar, I'm very confident I could do 465. I might could even do close to 500. :-)

I'd love a hot bath right about now. Unfortunately, that's gonna have to wait....

Grip work tomorrow, methinks.

Nice workout D...I think you should have added a set inbetween 315-405. Thtas a huge jump as you are nearing your PRs. I think one at 365 would have been a good one, plus given you an extra work rep, and more confidence. :-)

I had a nice day today. A little tri plex pull from the hang. Did pretty well actually I was suprised at how the weight "jumped" Grip was definatly the biggest detriment. My Snatch grip stuff has went to complete ****.

After that I did some light front squats to keep it respectable followed by some Standing DB Military Press 4x8

Then finished up with a circuit of shoulder stuff

Frontraisedx15
Sidex15
bent over side raisesx15
uprightrowx15
arnoldsx15. Repeat x3

got a nice burn
Genetic Defect 11:33 AM 09-15-2009
I think I need a break. My tris were killing me today in the gym. Also noticed a bruise on the same spot on each arm's biceps ... and can't for the life of me figure out how they got there. :-) Anyway, perhaps the tris are my body's way of telling me it's time to take a week off and come back with a switch-up (hypertrophy, in my case).

I think I'm going to listen....
yoga?

----------------
Now playing: Dayglo Abortions - **** My **** Stinks
via FoxyTunes
The Professor 01:23 PM 09-15-2009
Originally Posted by DavenportESQ:
Nice workout D...I think you should have added a set inbetween 315-405. Thtas a huge jump as you are nearing your PRs. I think one at 365 would have been a good one, plus given you an extra work rep, and more confidence. :-)
Ya ... I usually do. Decided not to today to conserve energy. Honestly, I could have repped 405 for at least 3 ... possibly 5. I'm very comfortable with 405 at this point (even *with* the fat bar). Grip is my biggest enemy on this bar; so it's about striking the balance between a proper warmup and not fatiguing my grip.

:-)

Nice workout today, yourself, btw. :-)
BigFrank 02:07 PM 09-15-2009
You would be surprised at how much easier it is to pull weight with a REAL deadlifting bar, not the run of the mill piece of **** bars at most gyms. I was always around the 500 mark for awhile, then the first time I used a real bar I cracked 565. Which makes me think because I havent pulled on a real deadlift bar in 6 months or so.

Edit-Might go workout tonight dont know yet, I did a little BS work on sunday. Been really not in the mood to train. 10 hr days at work been making me crappy.
The Professor 02:57 PM 09-15-2009
I hear ya, Frank -- I've been prepping about 10 hours for each class (teach 2 classes), which makes for some 15 hour+ days. = fail. :-) I haven't been getting nearly enough sleep or approaching anything close to a proper diet. :-)

I'm thinking I might go to a different gym next week, buy a day pass, and hit the 3. we'll see what my tris feel like by then. If they're hurting like they've been, I'll hold off until next month or so.... in the right setting, I should be able to hit something like 200 BP, 365 S, 455 DL. Still light compared to you monsters; but I'm getting there.

I'll be happy when I double those numbers (2000+ total). :-)
Mugen910 08:19 PM 09-15-2009
quick little jog outside after work...prob gonna hit the gym tomorrow. :-)

Anyone got suggestions on where I should incorporate deadlifts into my routine of chest/biceps...back triceps...shoulders/squats..
PeteSB75 08:27 PM 09-15-2009
Originally Posted by Mugen910:
quick little jog outside after work...prob gonna hit the gym tomorrow. :-)

Anyone got suggestions on where I should incorporate deadlifts into my routine of chest/biceps...back triceps...shoulders/squats..
You should be doing full body every day :-)

Seriously, though, I do deads on leg days when I do body part splits, but back days would work too. If the order is as you list above, I would go with leg/shoulder days.
Page 129 of 350
« First < 2979119127128129 130131139179229 > Last »
Up