Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 128 of 350
« First < 2878118126127128 129130138178228 > Last »
Health and Fitness>Pumping Iron with Zemekone and Icehog3
zonedar 09:45 AM 09-08-2009
Originally Posted by PeteSB75:
Not sure why, but I don't seem to be able to move my Press up at all. For months now, it's been sitting at max 135 and most days I do it, I don't get that up. Did 125x5x3 today and I was hard as hell. Dunno if it's just psychological, or something about my form when doing it. I can up the weight on every other lift I do, but not that one. It's very frustrating. Think I might try switching it up next week for a seated press or some dumbell or arnolds and see how that feels.

Got the same problem. I was able to get it up to 160 at the end of my last program (ended last week). That was up about 5 lbs. I think I need a partner to spot to really get better.

Starting a new 4 week program today.
BigFrank 07:30 PM 09-08-2009
Originally Posted by PeteSB75:
Not sure why, but I don't seem to be able to move my Press up at all. For months now, it's been sitting at max 135 and most days I do it, I don't get that up. Did 125x5x3 today and I was hard as hell. Dunno if it's just psychological, or something about my form when doing it. I can up the weight on every other lift I do, but not that one. It's very frustrating. Think I might try switching it up next week for a seated press or some dumbell or arnolds and see how that feels.
A lot of things could be holding you back on this one. Pretty hard to tell what the cause may be without more info. Seems a little wierd that you can rep out 125 but 135 is an issue.

Shoulder + Tris tonight.
Boring and fast.
The Professor 08:46 PM 09-08-2009
Originally Posted by BigFrank:
Boring and fast.
sounds like my prom date. :-)

did back this morning -- high volume and high weight (for me). my friend came and lifted again this morning, which was fun b/c we challenge each other (even though we're in very different spots). also did bis; but honestly, I was so outta juice, I couldn't give a whole lot.

went again tonight to supervise the DrMS's second week of lifting + cardio. I did the cardio with her but not the lifting. she's coming along nicely in terms of form and ability. she's probably selling herself a little short; but I call bullsh*t on that crap. :-) anyway ... it's been a very long day considering that my first trip was at 6am and I just got back from my second one 15 minutes ago. :-)

off day tomorrow -- just cardio to make up for the chocolate milkshake I got from Carl's Jr. on the way home from the gym tonight. :-)
Chris. 10:32 PM 09-08-2009
Haven't been to the gym in about a week. Gotta hit it up tomorrow for some leg action
PeteSB75 07:09 AM 09-09-2009
Spin this morning. Always kills me the day after a heavy lifting session.
Starchild 08:06 AM 09-09-2009
Did some snatches this morning. Got up to #95 for the last few sets. It's a tough movement to get the hang of, but it started feeling good.
Mugen910 08:22 AM 09-09-2009
Last night was chest and biceps..having the gf spot me on dumb bell bench presses is not fun.
DavenportESQ 08:22 AM 09-09-2009
Went back to the gym for the first time in about 4 monthes. It sucked to say the least

Bench4x12 255
Bent over rows 4x8 225
DB Bench press 4x15 65
1ABOR 4x8 90

A fun little medley superset of Tricep extensions, curls, dips and reverse curls for the girls

Finished up with a little till exhuastion t bar rows (ala Tom Murphy) got 6 sets, started at 12 by the last set I got 6

Time for Bacon and Eggs
GhostRyder 08:27 AM 09-09-2009
So I read Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength. Great book. I learned that my form in nearly every major lift has been wrong. Only subtle discrepancies, but wrong nonetheless.

Question for those of you who do Low Bar Back Squats... any explanation for shoulder pain in the front of my shoulder (near my collarbone above my pec, on both sides)? My only guess is that I'm subconsciously trying to hold some of the weight with my arms instead of with my delts.
The Professor 09:12 AM 09-09-2009
Originally Posted by DavenportESQ:
Went back to the gym for the first time in about 4 monthes. It sucked to say the least

Bench4x12 255
Bent over rows 4x8 225
DB Bench press 4x15 65
1ABOR 4x8 90

A fun little medley superset of Tricep extensions, curls, dips and reverse curls for the girls

Finished up with a little till exhuastion t bar rows (ala Tom Murphy) got 6 sets, started at 12 by the last set I got 6

Time for Bacon and Eggs
So it begins....

:-)

Very nice first day back! :-)
DavenportESQ 09:35 AM 09-09-2009
Originally Posted by The Professor:
So it begins....

Very nice first day back! :-)
It was awful. I am not used to being up this early, was half asleep and had that weird low sugar sickness that makes you feel like your going to vomit. 6 egg whites and 4 peices of bacon cured that though
PeteSB75 09:59 AM 09-09-2009
Originally Posted by GhostRyder:
So I read Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength. Great book. I learned that my form in nearly every major lift has been wrong. Only subtle discrepancies, but wrong nonetheless.

Question for those of you who do Low Bar Back Squats... any explanation for shoulder pain in the front of my shoulder (near my collarbone above my pec, on both sides)? My only guess is that I'm subconsciously trying to hold some of the weight with my arms instead of with my delts.
I always do low bar back squats. Never had a shoulder problem caused by them.

I would check form on your bench. Your upper arm should be angled down from the line of your shoulders the whole time, coming closer to your body as you lower the weight to your chest. this will happen naturally if you have the proper grip on the bar. Most people grip it too wide. The bars at my gym have five knurled sections, one in the center and two around a thin line on either side. I put my pinky at that line when I bench.
BigFrank 03:48 PM 09-09-2009
Originally Posted by DavenportESQ:
It was awful. I am not used to being up this early, was half asleep and had that weird low sugar sickness that makes you feel like your going to vomit. 6 egg whites and 4 peices of bacon cured that though
Sucks man I know. I used to work 12 hours night shift then get up in the afternoon after sleeping all day to workout. My only advice is, try to get used to eating before working out. When I finally got used to it, I would drink a protein shake with milk while making eggs bacon and potatoes w/ ketchup before hitting the gym. I must say now in hindsight, that I had some of my best workouts in that fashion.
Debating on hitting the gym or night, overtime at work has been making me very tired.
BigFrank 03:53 PM 09-09-2009
Originally Posted by GhostRyder:

Good pick up there.
Your going to have to experiment with how you hold the bar. Next time you squat play around with the width of your hands and how high or low you hold it on you back. This will take time. I personally know guys who squat close to 1,000 and are always complaining about bar position etc.

My advice would be to load the bar up with some weight ( something you can handle for 10 reps or so ) and hold the bar very narrow, then very wide. have it rest on your back very high up ( traps ) to very low lower traps / rear delts. And then go from there. Like I said before it's going to take some time getting used to and learning what is comfortable for you to squat. Just remember, the heavier you go with squats the more apparent any bar position issues you have will come to light.
The Professor 04:08 AM 09-10-2009
Originally Posted by BigFrank:
Sucks man I know. I used to work 12 hours night shift then get up in the afternoon after sleeping all day to workout. My only advice is, try to get used to eating before working out. When I finally got used to it, I would drink a protein shake with milk while making eggs bacon and potatoes w/ ketchup before hitting the gym. I must say now in hindsight, that I had some of my best workouts in that fashion.
Debating on hitting the gym or night, overtime at work has been making me very tired.

Some of my most sickening workouts have been after eating within 1 hour of the gym. I just get some ridiculous heartburn/acid reflux and experience some mini-throw-ups ... stopping short of the full-on puke fest.

Legs soon. Stretching and waking up now.
PeteSB75 06:15 AM 09-10-2009
Deloading day today. Bench, DB Rows and Front Squats.
The Professor 06:23 AM 09-10-2009
Had to stop back in to post right quick. Hit some PRs on squat today -- 315 x 3 (PR for reps ... and could have gone higher but stopped to conserve energy); went for 365 (first time trying) and hit it at 3/4 the first time then 1/2 the second time. I'll hit it at full depth next week and probably jump up closer to 300 for box squats. :-) for the record, I think it's the box squats that have been really helping my squat and deadlift. :-)
PeteSB75 07:20 AM 09-10-2009
Originally Posted by The Professor:
Had to stop back in to post right quick. Hit some PRs on squat today -- 315 x 3 (PR for reps ... and could have gone higher but stopped to conserve energy); went for 365 (first time trying) and hit it at 3/4 the first time then 1/2 the second time. I'll hit it at full depth next week and probably jump up closer to 300 for box squats. :-) for the record, I think it's the box squats that have been really helping my squat and deadlift. :-)
Congratz!
Starchild 07:39 AM 09-10-2009
I've been working in one good chest and tri workout a week to supplement my Crossfit.

Today was:
dumbbell press 40x10, 45x10, 2-50x10
Chest press machine 125x8, 3-137.5x5
Close grip bench 4-60x10
dumbbell pullovers 4-40x10

Threw in a set of sit ups between each exercise.
Mugen910 07:40 AM 09-10-2009
Since I don't think I'll be hitting the gym again this week I did this last night.

2 exercises - Shoulders
2 exercises - Triceps
2 exercises - Legs
2 exercises - Back

Felt good.
Page 128 of 350
« First < 2878118126127128 129130138178228 > Last »
Up