Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 126 of 350
« First < 2676116124125126 127128136176226 > Last »
Health and Fitness>Pumping Iron with Zemekone and Icehog3
The Professor 04:34 PM 08-31-2009
I'm a glutton for punishment. for the next week or two, I'll be going to the gym twice a day -- once in the morning for my regular training and once in the evening to teach my wife a 4-day split. Our splits are the same, though our exercises are different. Soooo ... I hit a machine-based chest/tri day along side her this evening. Everything was going well until the overhead triceps extensions at the end. Damn. That's what I get, though.

Teaching her the machines, form, etc., I am reminded why I hate machines so much: they constrain your body's natural mechanics. Incline bench on a machine is so ... so ... unnatural. Oh well.

Anyway ... tomorrow is back day. Yay. :-)
BigFrank 06:03 PM 08-31-2009
You'd be better off show her how to use dumbbells Dokk then jumping right into machines. A lot of people in my experience, especially women are afraid of using free weights. But the issue that I see is they just hop on a machine that says chest exercise and push away when im reality they are barely using any of the intended muscle to do any work and merely just going through the motions. My finacee was guilty of this, until I put her through the ringer which by the way was awful because all week I got to hear crying and boohoooing about being sore lol. But now her progress has improved greatly.
The Professor 06:15 PM 08-31-2009
Originally Posted by BigFrank:
You'd be better off show her how to use dumbbells Dokk then jumping right into machines. A lot of people in my experience, especially women are afraid of using free weights. But the issue that I see is they just hop on a machine that says chest exercise and push away when im reality they are barely using any of the intended muscle to do any work and merely just going through the motions. My finacee was guilty of this, until I put her through the ringer which by the way was awful because all week I got to hear crying and boohoooing about being sore lol. But now her progress has improved greatly.
Yeah. This is part of my plan. She refuses to use free weights right now because they're "scary" and in the "scary room." We spent a lot of time on form, though, and I used the machines too to make sure they were hitting the right muscles. The flat bench was, the flyes were, but I don't think the incline was at all. I think I convinced her that the squat machine would be worthless; but that's not until Thursday. Tomorrow is back; so we'll be doing a lot of cable stuff (pull downs, low rows, one arm rows), which should be okay.

Anyway ... you and I are on the same page; but she's headstrong (read: stubborn as a mule). :-)
BigFrank 07:04 PM 08-31-2009
Originally Posted by The Professor:
Anyway ... you and I are on the same page; but she's headstrong (read: stubborn as a mule). :-)
This doesnt surprise me. lol. It's even worse when you ask for lovin' and they say no, there's usually no changing that one...
zonedar 07:17 PM 08-31-2009
I'm pretty sure I'm your brother-in-law... :-)
Mugen910 08:19 PM 08-31-2009
just got back from the gym and did shoulders and chest...prob not a good idea as a combo but I forgot what Frank and Gerry told me to combine at the gym :-)

This doesnt surprise me. lol. It's even worse when you ask for lovin' and they say no, there's usually no changing that one...
Just learn how not to wake them in their sleep like a ninja:-)

Kidding kidding...
Chris. 09:47 PM 08-31-2009
I tweaked my left shoulder the other day doing flat bench a little then really tweaked it with overhead DB press. Going to the gym in the morning. I hope I don't hurt it again. Maybe I'll just do legs and abs...
The Professor 04:24 AM 09-01-2009
Wait until you're married ... you won't be saying "usually!" :-):-):-)
The Professor 05:30 AM 09-01-2009
New PR: 455 deadlift. Tried 500 and failled. I'm happy with 455. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
PeteSB75 06:38 AM 09-01-2009
Posted via Mobile Device
Nice!

Good workout for me this morning. Not sure what I was thinking with my bench. Haven't done it heavy in like 2.5 weeks... Anyway, cranked out 185x5, 195x4 and 200x1. 195 tied my previous PR. DB Rows, 75x5,80x5x2. Finished off with some Front Squats, which I've not done in probably 6mo to a year. Didn't go too heavy on them - 155x5x3.
Chris. 07:43 AM 09-01-2009
I don't like front squats very much. I can't get the bar comfortably on my shoulders.
The Professor 07:58 AM 09-01-2009
Originally Posted by Chris.:
I don't like front squats very much. I can't get the bar comfortably on my shoulders.
:-)

If I'm going to do something *like* that, I'm more likely to hit some Zerchers.
zemekone 08:02 AM 09-01-2009
Posted via Mobile Device
:-) why are you so weak? :-)
The Professor 10:20 AM 09-01-2009
Originally Posted by zemekone:
:-) why are you so weak? :-)
b/c u haven't trained me well enough. :-): :-)
PeteSB75 01:55 PM 09-01-2009
:-)

If I'm going to do something *like* that, I'm more likely to hit some Zerchers.
Never heard of those before. Just looked them up and all I can say is "OW!" Those seem like they would kill your elbows. There a specific trick to holding the bar like that?
The Professor 02:04 PM 09-01-2009
Originally Posted by PeteSB75:
Never heard of those before. Just looked them up and all I can say is "OW!" Those seem like they would kill your elbows. There a specific trick to holding the bar like that?
yeah ... gritting your teeth. :-)
PeteSB75 08:01 AM 09-02-2009
Spin class kicked my ass this morning. Not used to exerting that much energy for that long that early in the morning...
Mugen910 08:24 AM 09-02-2009
biceps and back last night...kinda wierd last night..felt a bit stronger than usual and while doing the cable row standing I maxed it out at 140lbs 10reps. :-)

I guess it offset my biceps because I could barley do 30 sets (10 sets per exercise) with 25lbs :-) my only excuse is I didn't rest enough between sets.
Starchild 08:56 AM 09-02-2009
Got back in the gym this morning. I'm finally getting over this funk the whole family came down with this weekend and getting my energy back.

Today was cleans and deads. I went light, and didn't go deep on the cleans at all.

My knee felt fine the whole time. Taking it easy while being sick this weekend probably helped a lot. I've got an appointment with the orthopedist next week so, we'll see what he says.
PeteSB75 06:22 AM 09-03-2009
Light day for me today. Hang Cleans, Incline Bench and close-grip lat pulldowns. Had planned to do chin-ups, but changed my mind last minute. Probably do spin tomorrow.
Page 126 of 350
« First < 2676116124125126 127128136176226 > Last »
Up