Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 123 of 138
« First < 2373113121122123 124125133 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
JohnnyFlake 04:34 PM 08-02-2014
Originally Posted by Fredo456:
Some bands do lose their gold paint on contact.
What???
[Reply]
Fredo456 02:23 PM 08-06-2014
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake:
What???
I remembered this from a cigar I tried in my noobie days, but I can't remember what it was.

So I went to my stash, and I thought the Casa Magna Colorado seemed like a good one to try: the gold paint does comme off, in the form of little sparkling dots, as in the OP's question.

Not all gold paints do that, but it seems that the "powdery" type does come off the band a little.
[Reply]
JohnnyFlake 03:12 PM 08-06-2014
Originally Posted by Fredo456:
I remembered this from a cigar I tried in my noobie days, but I can't remember what it was.

So I went to my stash, and I thought the Casa Magna Colorado seemed like a good one to try: the gold paint does comme off, in the form of little sparkling dots, as in the OP's question.

Not all gold paints do that, but it seems that the "powdery" type does come off the band a little.
Okay, now I understand!
[Reply]
Byaah 06:23 PM 08-22-2014
When I go into a B&M, what things should I arm myself with before I go in and make a purchase? I am not trying to get at I think they may try to pull a fast one on me, I just want to have as much realistic info I can have going in!

Anything from the most simple tips and tricks to well I don't even know (or I would not be asking lol!)

As for cigars I really don't know to much so what you can teach me would be great!

Or should this even be a worry?
[Reply]
Dude Here 06:50 PM 08-22-2014
I would suggest going online and reading some reviews of the shop you're thinking of visiting. See what other customers have to say about the place, employees and condition of the cigars.

If it's a reputable shop then you shouldn't have to worry too much about the employees trying to upsell you on cigars. Don't be afraid to ask questions and let them know that you're new to all this. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to help you out, after all, we all had to start somewhere in this hobby.

While you're browsing the selection of cigars keep an eye out for a hygrometer and take a look at the humidity reading. Granted, room sized humidors will have variances in humidity from one section to another, but if it's reading in the 40-50% range that's usually not a good sign. Also, check out the condition of the cigars. Are the shelves neatly arranged? Are the cigars damaged or just strewn about in their boxes? Is the place clean? I've walked out of B&M's before just based on how messy and disorganized their humidor was. If the shop doesn't care about simple things like neat presentation then they probably don't care too much about their cigars either.

Hope this helps!
[Reply]
Byaah 07:26 PM 08-22-2014
Originally Posted by Dude Here:
Hope this helps!

Solid info, simple approach, thank you!
[Reply]
cigarmarine 07:56 PM 08-24-2014
Hello CIA family new to the sight. I've been enjoying cigars for a while now, but I'm looking to expand my knowledge,expertise, and taste on the subject. So if there anyone who has the patience to deal with a newbie I'm ready to soak up all of the knowledge out there
[Reply]
WhiteMamba 08:38 PM 08-24-2014
Originally Posted by cigarmarine:
Hello CIA family new to the sight. I've been enjoying cigars for a while now, but I'm looking to expand my knowledge,expertise, and taste on the subject. So if there anyone who has the patience to deal with a newbie I'm ready to soak up all of the knowledge out there
Welcome to the asylum. Go try the newbie sampler trade. It will broaden your cigar horizons.
[Reply]
stevef2005 09:01 PM 08-24-2014
Originally Posted by cigarmarine:
Feel free to ask just about any question on here as well. Most folks are more than willing to share knowledge. Welcome to the mad house. You might also swing over to the New Inmate Processing area and give an introduction. Good smoking!! :-):-)
[Reply]
tfiechtner 07:32 AM 09-02-2014
What's required to start purchasing?
[Reply]
icehog3 08:18 AM 09-02-2014
Originally Posted by tfiechtner:
What's required to start purchasing?
The Buy/Sell Forums become visible after a small amount of time and participation.

The Retailer Forums should be visible to you immediately, you can buy from any of them.
[Reply]
TXSmokey 04:23 PM 09-04-2014
Originally Posted by Byaah:
When I go into a B&M, what things should I arm myself with before I go in and make a purchase?

an AK-47, and a big suitcase to put all the cigars in. :-)
[Reply]
TXSmokey 04:25 PM 09-04-2014
I've seen pics of cigar asylum poker chips and stickers, is there a website I can buy some from?
[Reply]
pnoon 04:30 PM 09-04-2014
Originally Posted by TXSmokey:
I've seen pics of cigar asylum poker chips and stickers, is there a website I can buy some from?
Unfortunately, no.

Mike (Remo) did both runs of the chips. Shoot him a PM to see if he has more.

I will look into getting some more stickers made.
[Reply]
TXSmokey 09:21 AM 09-05-2014
ok Thanks
[Reply]
LaugaBoy 09:19 PM 09-09-2014
So, I've decided I wanted to try cigar smoking as a hobby. My question is : Can I get a good, relatively inexpensive (~$10) cigar at any given tobacco shack, or should I buy from online stores? I don't exactly trust buying anything online, but if it is a must, and can be done safely without having to worry about someone getting my credit card information, than I'll make an exception. Somebody help.
[Reply]
ApexAZ 09:56 PM 09-09-2014
Originally Posted by LaugaBoy:
So, I've decided I wanted to try cigar smoking as a hobby. My question is : Can I get a good, relatively inexpensive (~$10) cigar at any given tobacco shack, or should I buy from online stores? I don't exactly trust buying anything online, but if it is a must, and can be done safely without having to worry about someone getting my credit card information, than I'll make an exception. Somebody help.
Welcome to the Asylum! Local taxes can really affect the prices of cigars, but you should be able to accomplish this. Go to a tobacconist who specializes in premium cigars and they can show you an assortment of affordable cigars, I am sure. There was a thread started recently regarding the same question with many good suggestions already. Just read some of the more recent threads in the All Cigar Discussion forum.

Also, there are several reputable online retailers where you can safely order cigars. Many, many members order online regularly and have very few issues. Happy smoking!
[Reply]
LaugaBoy 10:21 PM 09-09-2014
Originally Posted by ApexAZ:
Welcome to the Asylum! Local taxes can really affect the prices of cigars, but you should be able to accomplish this. Go to a tobacconist who specializes in premium cigars and they can show you an assortment of affordable cigars, I am sure. There was a thread started recently regarding the same question with many good suggestions already. Just read some of the more recent threads in the All Cigar Discussion forum.

Also, there are several reputable online retailers where you can safely order cigars. Many, many members order online regularly and have very few issues. Happy smoking!
Thanks!
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 06:48 AM 09-10-2014
Originally Posted by LaugaBoy:
So, I've decided I wanted to try cigar smoking as a hobby. My question is : Can I get a good, relatively inexpensive (~$10) cigar at any given tobacco shack, or should I buy from online stores?
Start off at the local tobacco shop and there's plenty of great cigars under $10. Try the big names first and keep the size similar if you want to compare brands.
[Reply]
WhiteMamba 12:46 PM 09-10-2014
In my experience online is cheaper. Try some samplers from places like cigarsinternational.com or famous-smoke.com If you have any problems with your shipment their customer service is usually pretty good.
[Reply]
Page 123 of 138
« First < 2373113121122123 124125133 > Last »
Up