Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 12 of 31
« First < 2101112 131422 > Last »
Sports>*2010 MLB Thread*
ChicagoWhiteSox 07:58 PM 02-22-2010
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Not disagreeing!! :-) Just wondering why they aren't using Peavey as the ace.
This will be Buehrle's 8th opening day start in Chicago, we love him here, and it would be hard to see him not start on opening day. Don't get me wrong, Peavy is an ace pitcher and would get the nod in most other starting 5 rotations.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 08:01 PM 02-22-2010
Mac, Santana is pitching opening day right?
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 02:37 PM 02-23-2010
The Braves have made a splash in the international market with the signing of highly-regarded Dominican shortstop Edward Salcedo.
[Reply]
kelmac07 03:44 PM 02-23-2010
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
Mac, Santana is pitching opening day right?
He better be...who else are we gonna throw? :-) :-) 2-5 looks pretty shaky this year. Hopefully Maine is healthy and Perez gets his head out of his a$$. :-)
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 09:31 AM 02-24-2010
Major League Baseball plans to implement blood testing for human growth hormone in the Minor Leagues later this year, an official in baseball with direct knowledge of the matter told The New York Times for a story published on its Web site late Tuesday night. It's about damn time.
[Reply]
MedicCook 10:33 AM 02-24-2010
I am surprised the Union is allowing that during a current contract.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 10:40 AM 02-24-2010
Originally Posted by MedicCook:
I am surprised the Union is allowing that during a current contract.

How much control does the Union have over that issue?
[Reply]
MedicCook 10:42 AM 02-24-2010
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
How much control does the Union have over that issue?
They have had lot's of control in the past. That is one of the reason it took so long to even get any steroid testing. The Union always refused to put it in the contracts. It was not until the Mitchell Report came out that the Union agreed to an addendum to the current contract.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 10:48 AM 02-24-2010
Anyone know the current status of testing in the majors?
[Reply]
Whynot 11:02 AM 02-24-2010
They have had lot's of control in the past. That is one of the reason it took so long to even get any steroid testing. The Union always refused to put it in the contracts. It was not until the Mitchell Report came out that the Union agreed to an addendum to the current contract.
Until a minor league player is put on the 40 man roster the union does not have any say in the testing. The minors had testing years before MLB did and the guidelines were more stringent.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 11:05 AM 02-24-2010
Originally Posted by Whynot:
Until a minor league player is put on the 40 man roster the union does not have any say in the testing. The minors had testing years before MLB did and the guidelines were more stringent.
Thats what I was wanting to know. Is there a separate union entity for the minors then?
[Reply]
Whynot 01:31 PM 02-24-2010
Negative, if they are not on the 40, they are directly controlled by the parent organization.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 01:33 PM 02-24-2010
Negative, if they are not on the 40, they are directly controlled by the parent organization.
Thanks, I never knew that.
[Reply]
Whynot 01:45 PM 02-24-2010
I have been trying to learn more about the business and minor league side of baseball the last couple of years. There are some convoluted rules.
[Reply]
MedicCook 02:46 PM 02-24-2010
I was watching ESPN this afternoon and they said not to expect this on the MLB level until after the next contract. They are going to want to make sure that the 2 years of minor league testing has been proven to be effective. This is also going to cost MLB a ton of money to do.
[Reply]
Whynot 03:56 PM 02-24-2010
I was watching ESPN this afternoon and they said not to expect this on the MLB level until after the next contract. They are going to want to make sure that the 2 years of minor league testing has been proven to be effective. This is also going to cost MLB a ton of money to do.
I am curious to see what all goes down in the next agreement. I think the Union will cave to most testing standards, but I am wondering if a salary cap is going to be back on the table. I hope so, I know owners are still making money hand over fist, but I would like to be able to still afford to got to games.
[Reply]
MedicCook 06:51 PM 02-24-2010
I am curious to see what all goes down in the next agreement. I think the Union will cave to most testing standards, but I am wondering if a salary cap is going to be back on the table. I hope so, I know owners are still making money hand over fist, but I would like to be able to still afford to got to games.
I don't think you will see a salary cap without a salary minimum which the owners don't want.
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 07:01 PM 02-24-2010
I hope so, I know owners are still making money hand over fist, but I would like to be able to still afford to got to games.
:-) Tell that to the Dodgers and Indians owners.
[Reply]
Whynot 03:32 AM 02-25-2010
I don't think you will see a salary cap without a salary minimum which the owners don't want.
There is somewhat since the player minimum is 400K, but you probably hit the nail on the head with the team minimum. I just hope Albert doesn't bust the Cardinals bank. By which I mean I hope Dewitt is willing to forgo some personel profit for the team/city.
[Reply]
Whynot 12:03 AM 02-27-2010
I like what Felipe Lopez has done with the bat the last couple of years, but I don't know that I see the value in adding him with the Cards current roster.
[Reply]
Page 12 of 31
« First < 2101112 131422 > Last »
Up