Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 12 of 20
« First < 2101112 1314 > Last »
Sports>College Hoops Thread '10-'11
jcruse64 05:33 PM 02-07-2011
Originally Posted by The Poet:
Mississippi 69 - Arkansas 60 = If some team in another league wants to win a conference championship this season, see if you can move into the SEC now. Seems as if nobody else wants it.

:-):-):-):-)

I think you might be right about the SEC. Sheeeesh!

Pitt has its hands full, with less than 6 minutes to the half.

Go Racers!!!!!
[Reply]
The Poet 03:57 PM 02-08-2011
Originally Posted by jcruse64:
:-):-):-):-)

I think you might be right about the SEC. Sheeeesh!

Pitt has its hands full, with less than 6 minutes to the half.

Go Racers!!!!!

A. Well, to be fair to the Gators and the Tide, I guess we should recognize they have a leg up in the East and West divisions. Florida may be a tiny bit of a surprise there, given their division competition, but 'Bama is a total puzzler to me. Then again, the West seems to be much weaker than its eastern sister, so I guess somebody has to be on top.

B. We have seen the Mountaineers play some good ball so far, and though I see Pitt taking the Big East regular season I never thought they'd face no challenges along the way.

C. Go Racers? They seem to be doing just that. Case in point:

Murray State 66 - Eastern Illinois 53 = The victory in itself was no shock, but it does give your Racers their 6th in a row. Furthermore, had they not lost by 2 to Austin Peay in their first meeting, and this EI squad by a single point a few weeks ago, this would have made 16 in a row. Not too shabby.

Pitt 71 - West Virginia 66 = A couple of buckets, a couple of boards, a bounce or two the other way, and we'd have had what the experts call an upset here. Don't kid yourself . . . in big-time conference play, there are few true upsets. It would have been a good win for the Mountaineers, but it's also a good one for the Panthers.

Kansas 103 - Missouri 86 = I pretty much assumed the Jayhawks would take this one, yet I find the margin a bit lopsided. But this leads me into what is rapidly becoming a pet peeve with me. OK, so Missou has an 18-6 overall record, but how can one justify a team getting a top 25 ranking when they are just above, at, or under .500 in their own conference? I'm not picking on the Big 12 here, since the same is or has been true in the Big East, Big Ten, and SEC. Me, I do not get it, one damn bit.

Wright State 74 - Youngstown State 70 = Although the Raiders really should have handled the crappy Penguins with much more ease than this, the win does keep them in touch with Valpo and Cleveland State for the zenith of the Horizon.

There are a few interesting games tonight, leading up to Wednesday's big night of action. But that's to follow, so this evening we have:

Purdue vs. Indiana = Although the Hoosiers have played some decent ball from time to time, and actually have managed to steal a win or three they were not supposed to, I can't really see them going on the road to take the Boilermakers . . . unless, as they have done too often, the 'Makers make no shots. Other than that, I see this lasting a half, then unraveling for IU like one of Bobby's old red sweaters.

Cincinnati vs. DePaul = And though the Bearcats have been eminently beatable at times, the Blue Demons have yet to manage to win a league game so far. I don't expect this to be their first.

Xavier vs. Georgia = Big non-conference games are few and far between this time of year. A victory here would look good on both resumes come Selection Sunday, so plan on this one being a war down in Athens. I see this as a pick 'em.

Princeton vs. Penn = Although the Ivy season is still much too young to call, this one may prove key down the stretch. The Tigers want to hold onto their meagre early lead, and the Quakers would like to tie them up . . . even if that puts Harvard up by a 1/2 game. This is in Jadwin, so I'll go with the boys east of the Delaware here.

Tennessee vs. Kentucky = Bruce Pearl has served his 8-game conference suspension, and will be back on the bench tonight. I do not expect he will score any points or grab any rebounds, though he may make a couple of "turnovers" if he tries to get three weeks of yelling at the refs out of his system all tonight. If the Vols can steal one up in Rupp, they can put Cal's 'Cats under .500 in SEC play (see my gripe above), and considering how things are shaking out so far in this league, I see no reason why they can't . . . except for the fact that they themselves have been as inconsistent as has UK. Were I to wager, I'd give the home team a two-possession edge, but this one should be a blast from start to finish. Don't be surprised if the team that makes the plays in the final 2 minutes walks away with the W.

San Diego State vs. Utah = The Aztecs were not very impressive in wins against Colorado State and TCU, and probably need to turn up the juice a bit tonight by spanking the hapless Utes. If they do so, it may mean little save that they have refocused. But if they again slip by with a one or two possession victory . . . or a huge home upset . . . they had best steel themselves for a marvelous regular season, and a extremely short post-season run.

Boston College vs. Clemson = At the moment 4 teams are tied for 4th in the ACC with 5-4 records, and here are two of them. Though it is possible that the Selection Committee might go 7-deep in the conference, it is more likely they will only let at most 6 into the Dance. You don't think these guys don't know that already? This one down in Littlejohn is huge for these two teams, both of which have been in and out of the national spotlight during the course of the season so far. I figure this may just get nasty in Death Valley, so keep you eye on it.

That's all for today. I'm late for practice for THE BIG ONE tomorrow already, so I leave you with . . . enjoy. Screw Drew.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:57 PM 02-09-2011
Not a lot of games last night, and no surprises either. Well, maybe one:

Cincinnati 71 - DePaul 68 = OK, so it was in the Rosemont, but for the Blue Demons to come so close to their first conference win does not speak well of the Bearcats.

Xavier 65 - Georgia 57 = Early in the year I almost gave up on the X-Men. Shows just how dumb I am. You can view this as another big win for them, or another funky loss for the SEC.

Clemson 77 - Boston College 69 = A good showing from two of the "also-rans" in the ACC. The game may neither clinch a bid or lose one for either team, but it does help the Tigers' chances.

Kentucky 73 - Tennessee 61 = No shock here at all. Despite their struggles, UK is a better team . . . especially in Rupp.

Purdue 67 - Indiana 53 = And that's pretty much the same tale here. The 'Makers still can't score worth a doodly, but they didn't have to against the Hoosiers.

Princeton 62 - Pennsylvania 59 (OT) = A nice, hard-fought win for the Tigers to keep them in the early Ivy lead.

San Diego State 85 - Utah 53 = Now that's more like it, Aztecs. I guess Steve Fisher saw the same thing I did, and lit a fire under your butts.

There is entirely too much good action tonight for me to do it all justice, especially as I have to devote so many keystrokes to THE GAME. So I have cherry-picked these:

Temple vs. Fordham = I don't expect the Owls to have a problem with the Rams, but it is of some importance for Fran's team to spank them and continue to regain some respect earlier losses took away.

Northwestern vs. Michigan = And this one may have minimal national importance, but the teams are well-matched so should put on a good show.

Georgetown vs. Syracuse = But this one, here's a true big game. Not THE BIG GAME, yet still an important one that may later decide the difference between, say, a # 2 or a # 4 seed in the NCAAs. If this one is not tight, I will be shocked.

Notre Dame vs. Louisville = And the stakes are just as high in this Big East clash. The Irish have been better than expected, and the Cards have been the 2011 version of The Card-iac Kids. I figure it will be close, so maybe Pitino will get a shot at pulling another one out of his butt.

James Madison vs. Drexel = Though it seems as if these two are out of the running for the CAC, they are still good teams and I figure on a nice game here.

Dayton vs. Rhode Island = And in the A-10, it's the same situation. This one should be fun.

UAB vs. Marshall = Pretty much the same story here, although the Blazers still have a good shot at the CUSA title. But don't expect the Herd to let them run amok.

Ball State vs. Bowling Green = Here's a key game in the MAC race, and both squads want the W. Another good chance for a thriller here.

Wake Forest vs. Miami = Though this could be competitive, I'm more interested to see if the Deacs can earn a second victory in the ACC. They don't have all that many chances left, and this one in Greensboro might be their best shot.

Florida vs. South Carolina = If this SEC season holds to form, the Gators will get screwed by the 'Cocks tonight, and further confuse the conference . . . and the experts . . . and me. I'm not calling for the upset, as I'm not certain it would be one anyway, but it is worth keeping an eye on.

Nebraska vs. Baylor = The Bears are not going to catch both the Longhorns and the Jayhawks in the Big 12. The 'Huskers aren't even gonna sniff them. Yet this one should be a decent game regardless of these facts.

Arkansas vs. Mississippi State = Back in the SEC again, which means the only thing you can bet on is that one will win, and the other will lose. This applies particularly to these two teams, since they seem to be of .500 quality in conference play anyway.

Maryland vs. Longwood = What? Longwood?? What is this November game doing in February? Uhhhh, ummmmm, I think I'll go with the Terps here.

Villanova vs Rutgers = It is in Piscataway, which is the only advantage the Scarlet Knight will have tonight. Still, the Wildcats have not been dominating, so it may be close for a while. It should not end that way.

Wisconsin vs. Iowa = I can't see this one being much of a game, unless the Hawkeyes can somehow grab an early lead at home, and thus force the Badgers to try and speed up. As good as they are, that's one thing they cannot do.

Texas A&M vs. Colorado = However, although the Aggies have gotten more press, and more respect, than have the Buffaloes, this one could actually go either way. Not only can those bison play a bit, they host the lowlanders up in Boulder. Break out the O2 tanks, fellas.

Texas vs. Oklahoma = And this one is in Norman. Big freakin' deal. If the Longhorns do not gore the Sooners sooner, they will almost certainly stick it to them later.

BYU vs. Air Force = Yeah, OK. The Cougars are playing tonight. Another big freakin' deal. Take a look at their schedule, both conference and non-conference, and tell me how in the high holy hell they've "earned" an RPI rating of # 2, and a Strength of Schedule rating of # 10 in the nation. Are these guys on crack? Sheesh. If the Falcons only lose by 10 or so, I will be pleasantly surprised. But again . . . big deal.

Utah State vs. Idaho = And lest you think that comment above is some anti-Mormon rant, consider this: The Aggies have not lost a game since Georgetown dropped them by nearly 20 back on December 4th. This is mainly due to the fact that the Aggies have not PLAYED anybody worth a crap since they lost to the Hoyas. But still, those idiots who are allowed to decide such stuff think they are a Top 25 team. Well, let's see them put their own money on 'em down in Vegas, come Tourney time. Please.

Now, for the main event: THE GAME!!!

North Carolina vs. Duke = Two weeks ago, I would not have given my Heels more than a snowball's chance to win this game in Durham . . . or anywhere else, for that matter. But UNC has romped in their last 3 games, and perhaps have actually turned that corner Roy said they would. Meanwhile, Duke showed against St. John's that, if their outside shots are not dropping, they can be out-quicked and out-hustled, and out-classed even. Carolina does have the athletes to beat the Blue Devils down the court, and beat them to rebounds and loose balls, and if they don't take a step backwards they can do that. But the Tar Heel D will give Duke open looks from outside, so if they are canning their 3s it may turn real ugly, real fast. The X-factor may be the Cameron Crazies, and the news is not all good for the home team either. Those Crazies are renowned for their clever (and often tactless) taunts launched at the opposition, and I fully expect them to fire some pointed "Drew" darts at the Heels this evening. The tactic may backfire, however, since the team has had time to fully process the betrayal, and those taunts will merely anger them. If they can focus that anger in a positive way, it can only help their chances. You still have to give Duke the edge tonight, but I don't believe Kyrie Irving's pre-season prediction of another 30-point thrubbing will occur. This one may very well hinge on who steps up and makes plays in the last 5 minutes.

That's all for now. See you tomorrow, rain or shine. Until then, enjoy. Screw Drew.
[Reply]
SD Beerman 05:03 PM 02-09-2011
"San Diego State 85 - Utah 53 = Now that's more like it, Aztecs. I guess Steve Fisher saw the same thing I did, and lit a fire under your butts."

What he said!!!!
[Reply]
jcruse64 06:15 PM 02-09-2011
THE GAME...coming up!

While there have been some blowouts, this is almost always a great game. I'll usually always watch, even though I despise the ACC, as ALL good Wildcat fans should...... :-):-):-):-)

Even when one team is really having a down season, they show up big for this game. I WILL be watching, not listening, Baybeee...
[Reply]
The Poet 02:25 PM 02-10-2011
Originally Posted by SD Beerman:
"San Diego State 85 - Utah 53 = Now that's more like it, Aztecs. I guess Steve Fisher saw the same thing I did, and lit a fire under your butts."

What he said!!!!
And what I said likely had far fewer censored comments than what Fisher said. :-)

THE GAME...coming up!

While there have been some blowouts, this is almost always a great game. I'll usually always watch, even though I despise the ACC, as ALL good Wildcat fans should...... :-):-):-):-)

Even when one team is really having a down season, they show up big for this game. I WILL be watching, not listening, Baybeee...
Another great game, and although I may have hoped for a slightly different outcome, no one can complain about the show they gave us. And if you can't stand Dicky V's banter, you can always try to find a feed online from Woody Durham out of Chapel Hill. There may be radio announcers as good, and as fair, as him, but there are none better.

Update to follow.
[Reply]
The Poet 04:26 PM 02-10-2011
So let's start this update by finishing up on THE GAME:

Duke 79 - UNC 73 = The Heels had this one most of the way, but the greater experience of the Blue Devils allowed them to edge it out late. The final is deceptive, as the game was much closer than that 2-possession margin. A very good win for Duke, and not a bad loss for the Heels, since they were expected to lose, and since I feared they may take a step backwards. Though they did not take one forward, they did show they could play with anyone, and if they keep this up and continue to improve, UNC is one team you won't want to see in your bracket come March.

Though this game was no surprise, and was exactly what I thought it might be, there were some shocks last night, the biggest being:

Rutgers 77 - Villanova 76 = I would say this is a huge win for the Scarlet Knights, and give them much credit, but from what I understand they did not win as much as 'Nova lost. The Wildcats blew a comfortable lead in the last few minutes, then fouled the shooter on a game-tying trey with 8/10th left, putting him on the line for the W. Jeez.

Wisconsin 64 - Iowa 59 (OT) = And this was nearly a big a shock, with the Badgers needing the extra 5 to take care of business.

Idaho 64 - Utah State 56 = And this was no surprise to me at all, at least in one regard. Hey, I flat-out told you yesterday the Aggies were over-rated. But dropping one to the Spuds . . . uh, I mean Vandals, who pretty much reek? Don't tell me it was in Moscow, as I don't care if it was played in Red Square! Their winning streak of 17 would have ended long ago, had they the guts to schedule some better competition.

VCU 84 - Delaware 74 (2OT) = This one's also a surprise to me, since I figured the Rams would have less trouble plucking the Blue Hens. Give Delaware some props for hanging tough, and VCU for hanging just a bit tougher to remain tied atop the CAC.

Marquette 59 - South Florida 58 = Much like the 'Nova loss, the Bulls gave this away. Much UNLIKE it however, is the fact that Marquette should not have had this much trouble in the first damn place.

Memphis 63 - UCF 62 = And the Knights came that close to breaking their long losing streak, against a CUSA-contending team that should have chased them out of the gym. You just can't figure college hoops.

Georgetown 64 - Syracuse 56 = And not to beat a dead horse here, but I still can't figure how the supposed # 12 Orange can be 7th in the Big Mouth at the same time. One or the other has to give. This is a good win for the Hoyas in the Dome. As for the 'Cuse . . . I've said their problem is their zone, but I'm beginning to believe a bigger one is their inability to shoot the ball.

Notre Dame 89 - Louisville 79 (OT) = Another nice win for the Irish, and another heart-attack night for Rick Pitino. Maybe he should consider going back to the NBA, where the money is better, and the stress is less.

Baylor 74 - Nebraska 70 = I figured on a good game here, and that's just what they gave us.

Bowling Green 65 - Ball State 64 = And did I not tell you this one would be tight?

Texas A&M 73 - Colorado 70 (OT) = Here again, did I not call for a high-altitude dogfight? Sometimes I scare myself, I'm so damn good. :-)

Miami 74 - Wake Forest 73 = Well, give the Deacs some credit for giving it the old college try, and just barely missing their 2nd conference win last night. It took 2 'Cane FTs with 4 ticks left to get the lead, and a rimmed-out 3 at the buzzer to save it. Well, Wake still gets to host NCSU and Ga. Tech, so it ain't their final chance.

There are some pretty decent games tonight, though mostly small potatoes compared to last evening's:

U. Conn vs. St. John's = Both teams have shown that they can beat the best, and both have shown they can spit the bit. I really don't think the Red Storm can steal another stunner in the Garden, so expect the Huskies to take it fairly easily.

Vanderbilt vs. Alabama = Vandy is ranked nationally, and are 4-4 in the SEC East. The Tide is unranked, and 7-1 in the SEC West. 'Bama looks for its first win in Nashville in 20 years. Can they get one? Judging by the conference history so far this year . . . I have no clue. :-)

Illinois vs. Minnesota = Both of these teams have been ranked at some point this season. Both are at best .500 in the Big Ten so far. Both need the win. Both can't get it. Flip a coin.

Florida State vs. Georgia Tech = The Semiholes got chased out of Chapel Hill Sunday, yet with a win tonight can get within a 1/2-game of the Heels for 2nd place in the ACC, with plenty of games left . . . including a home rematch with UNC. The Jackets have played some good games in Atlanta, but may have trouble scoring against FSU's D. I figure the 'Noles by 3 possessions, unless they pull another stinker like they did on the road at Clemson.

Penn State vs. Michigan State = Tom Izzo seems to believe his Spartans can still earn a bid to the NCAAs, despite their present 13-10 record. Well, I've looked at their schedule. With 7 games left, and with Ohio State, Illinois, Minnesota, and Purdue amongst them, they had better start their push tonight. The Nittany Lions have shocked better teams already this year, so don't expect them to just roll over. This one could be a lot of fun, and much too "questionable" to call.

Oregon vs. UCLA = Believe it or not, the Bruins are 2nd in the Pac-10, behind the 'Zona Wildcats. They feel at least as dissed as those desert 'Cats, and with even more historical justification. They think they deserve to Dance. Me, I do too. But they had best press the Ducks tonight, or face my wrath tomorrow.

Washington vs. California = And believe it or not, the Huskies have gotten almost all the Pac-10 props so far, yet their 7-4 conference records is a scarce improvement over Cal's 6-5 mark. It is in The Emerald City, where they very rarely lose . . . as opposed to the yellow-brick road, where they've now lost 3 in a row. Must be all the caffeine. I figure they won't make that 4 tonight, but who knows?

Wright State vs. Butler = And now to the mid-majors, with a vital game for both teams in the Horizon race . . . which is also the case for . . .

Detroit vs. Valparaiso = So here four of the top six Horizon clubs face off against each other. You don't think there will be some scoreboard watching this evening? Speaking of important mid-major matchups . . .

Murray State vs. Tennessee Tech = Joe's Racers hold the slimmest of leads for first in the OVC with their 10-3 record. How slim? Well, the TT Golden Eagles at 9-5 are tied for 3rd with Austin Peay, with Morehead State just ahead at 9-4 (and who play bottom-feeder Eastern Illinois tonight, so figure they'll hit 10-4). You don't think this is one big game in one small conference?

That will do it for me tonight. As always, enjoy. And as recently, Screw Drew.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:50 PM 02-11-2011
There were a number of important scores from last night, but only one was a shocker:

St. John's 89 - U. Conn 72 = Yeah, I know the Johnnies have played some good games on occasion, and that they laid the wood to Dook not long ago. But I never thought they'd grab another huge win against a "Top Ten" team. I put that distinction in quotes not for the Blue Devils, who likely deserve it, but rather for the Huskies. Once again, I must protest. U. Conn is # 10 in the nation, yet in a 5-way tie for 7th in the Big East? Man, I'd like to take those voters and just :-) !!!

Florida State 72 - Georgia Tech 63 = This one I place in this prime position not for the expected victory for FSU but rather for its potential significance down the road. This keeps the Seminoles alone at 3rd in the ACC race, just 1/2-game below the Heels. Looking at their remaining schedule, I see only 2 more games which should not be automatic wins for them . . . at Maryland, and hosting UNC. This race could go down to the wire.

UCLA 64 - Oregon 54 = Much the same can be said here for the Pac-10. The Bruins remain in 2nd place behind the Arizona Wildcats, and have a fairly managable row to hoe . . . at least until they end the season with those 'Cats and the two Washington teams. It is still a horserace on the Left Coast.

Illinois 71 - Minnesota 62 = And although it seems that the Buckeyes have the Big Ten all to their lonesome, these "also-ran" games are vital, if only for possible seedings come March. The Gophers are go-for-ing the basement fast, with this their 4th loss in a row, and their 5-7 conference mark is now, believe it or not, worse than . . .

Michigan State 75 - Penn. State 57 = The Spartans, who move to .500 in league play at 6-6, and "improve" to . . . gulp, 14-10 overall. Izzo still has a lot of work to do to keep his NCAA streak alive, but this is a small positive sign. Now, let's see him beat the Buckeyes next Tuesday.

Vanderbilt 81 - Alabama 77 = This one was a tight fight from start to finish, with 11 ties and 10 lead changes, but in the end it was the same old story for the Crimson Tide in Nashville . . . wait 'til next decade to win one at the Comms. Vandy hangs on by the whiskers on the Robber Baron's chin, and keep the SEC East in a 4-way tie for 2nd behind the Gators. Yet 'Bama does stay 2 games up in the SEC West . . . for what that seems to be worth.

Valparaiso 82 - Detroit 74 = And this one keeps Valpo at the zenith of the Horizon, although their Crusade is not yet over, thanks to . . .

Butler 71 - Wright State 63 = It won't be easy for either of these, at 9-5 and 10-5 respectively, to catch both Valpo (10-3) and Cleveland State (10-4). One or the other, maybe, but both? Still, there are games left, and so there's time to do it . . . if they can do it.

Murray State 55 - Tennessee Tech 44 = And this keeps Joe's Racers atop the OVC, a full game better than Morehead State (who beat Eastern Illinois themselves last night). Yet winning this game, nor winning the regular season in that conference, won't get them to the Dance. Regardless, they did what they needed to do, ugly though it was (99 total points scored combined? Crap.), and a win is a win is a win. Right, Gertrude?

As we have come to expect, Friday night's mostly a heaping pile of who gives a fark. I spot only two games tonight which, barring something like "upsets" in the Ivy League, seem to have any real significance:

Yale vs. Harvard = Since I don't think the league-leading Princeton Tigers will get much of a fight from the Columbia Lions this evening, this is the key Ivy game to watch, as the Crimson and the Elis (don't feed me none of that "Bulldog" bull . . . there's too many dogs in the NCAA as it is) battle to remain 2nd and/or 3rd in the race for that one lone lonely bid the Ivy shall receive.

That will be it for now. If I have time, I'll come back with some quickies on the early tips on Saturday. Either way, enjoy. Screw Drew.
[Reply]
The Poet 04:34 PM 02-11-2011
OK, I'm back with the Saturday games scheduled to tip by 1:00 PM EST:

Notre Dame vs. South Florida = If the Irish don't just hammer the Bulls, I'll be surprised . . . though to be fair, 7 of the Bulls 8 wins came on their home court. But so did 6 of their 17 losses, so there's that too.

Syracuse vs. Louisville = And speaking of losses, both of these are coming off of one. Also, both of these teams are in that 8-way Big Mouth cluster with records between 7-4 and 6-5 in conference play. Put those facts together, and you can figure on a war out in the Crum Bucket.

Kentucky vs. Vanderbilt = By comparison, the SEC East is a cakewalk, as their are only 4 2nd place teams with 5-4 marks. Kentucky has more talent, and less depth. Vandy has home-court, and a short turnaround time. And that's ignoring the fact that the SEC has had the consistency of a bride's first gravy this year . . . lots of lumps and bumps. Pick 'em.

North Carolina vs. Clemson = The Tar Heels are 3/4ths the way through their single toughest stretch of the ACC season (@ BC, FSU, @ Dook), and so far 2-1 is about as good as one could expect. They need to visit the Tigers and take care of business to remain above the Semiholes in 2nd place. It won't be easy, but I'd give them a slight edge.

Maryland vs. Boston College = And this one might even be more important in the ACC, and I'll tell you why. At 5-4 and 5-5 resp't, neither one will make it to the top of the regular season standings. Yet, barring a possible run in the ACC Tourney, this one may determine whether or not one or the other (and likely not both) will receive a bid to the NCAAs. Can the Terps travel up to Chestnut Hill and take one from a struggling Eagle squad? It should be a lot of fun to watch.

Temple vs. Dayton = The Owls may be ranked, and may even deserve to be, but they are in 3rd place in the A-10. Just barely, mind you, at 8-2 as opposed to the Dukes and X-Men at 8-1, but still. Also, and still still, they are tied for third with . . .

Richmond vs. St. Louis = Though the Owls above may have problems with the Flyers, I can't see the Spiders having all that much with the Billikens. So pencil in Richmond with the W, which means the Owls HAVE to beat Dayton, or fall to 4th in the A-10 race. Hey, I figure all four may get bids anyway, but it's best not to gamble on such stuff.

Tomorrow I'll give you more weekend action, plus some early scores.
[Reply]
jcruse64 04:47 PM 02-11-2011
If I were a betting man, I'd say UK will flame out down at Vandy.

The St John's win was great! They ain't too shabby.

Go Racers!!!!!:-) Will be there tomorrow to see if the streak continues.
[Reply]
The Poet 10:20 AM 02-12-2011
If I were a betting man, I'd say UK will flame out down at Vandy.

The St John's win was great! They ain't too shabby.

Go Racers!!!!!:-) Will be there tomorrow to see if the streak continues.

A. Well, it certainly would not be the first time the 'Cats got their tails stuck under a rocker.

B. The Johnnies made a bit of a move last year, and Steve Lavin seems to have them on a positive track. Let's see if they can continue to climb back to where they were once, without landing on the NCAA's $#!+list. Hey, it wouldn't be Lavin's first time there.

C. As by this time you're already in the stands, I won't tell you to enjoy. Still, I hope you do . . . and if they win, you likely shall.

Back soon with an update.
[Reply]
The Poet 12:37 PM 02-12-2011
Originally Posted by The Poet:
C. As by this time you're already in the stands, I won't tell you to enjoy. Still, I hope you do . . . and if they win, you likely shall.
My bad. That game's tonight, so only the janitors are in the stands now. :-)

Last night Harvard edged Yale 78-75 to stay in touch with Princeton in the Ivy, while East Tennessee State just spanked Jacksonville 80-64 to grab 2nd in the Atlantic Sun behind Belmont. Today there is far too much going on for me to do proper justice to it all, so by throwing out the mismatches and the bottom-feeders I'm left with:

Texas A&M vs. Texas Tech = Well, actually one of these is a bottom-feeder, but as the Aggies are ranked I have to mention their game, even if I don't think it will be much of one.

LSU vs. Arkansas = And the only way I see the Tigers giving the 'Hogs much of one resides in the fact that the SEC has been all over the map, so there's that.

Missouri vs. Oklahoma = And with Missou being ranked at 18-6, with the Sooners just above .500 at 12-11, this seems a mismatch too. But they are both 4-5 in the Big 12, so you can never tell. It could actually be close, at least for a while.

Ohio State vs. Wisconsin = Can the Buckeyes travel up to Madison and stay undefeated? Sure they can. Can the Badgers plod them into frustration, and steal one at home? Sure they can. If somebody scores more than 70, go with OSU. Under that, it could be anybody's game.

ODU vs. VCU = This one should be tons of fun. VCU is tied for 1st in the CAC, with ODU 'waaaay down in 3rd place. Break out the sharp knives.

Virginia vs. Florida State = On the one hand, the Cavs seem to be safely a few steps out of the ACC basement. On the other, the 'Noles want to stay in touch with UNC for 2nd in league play, as well as hope that Duke stumbles somewhere. I can't see UVA winning, yet I do expect they'll show up and give 'em game.

Mississippi vs. Alabama = The Tide want to bounce back from that squeaker at Vandy, and further strengthen their hold atop the SEC West. The Rebels don't want to drop any lower than 3rd, and would love to get back to .500 there. As this is the SEC, and the West to boot, flip a coin.

Indiana vs. Michigan = Two young teams with more pride and tradition than ability, though both have shown flashes. The Logans hold home court, so give them a 3-possession edge over the Hoosiers. Then, wait 'til next year, when both may open some eyes.

UCLA vs. Oregon State = The Bruins may be the surprise of the Pac-10, and may be the only one who can steal the conference from Arizona. As this one's at Pauley, and as the Beavers are as flat as their tails, go UCLA here.

Texas vs. Baylor = The Longhorns don't have a lot of competition left on their schedule, with the Bears being one of the few with half-a-shot. Unless the 'Horns assume they're winning and slack off, they should take it by 10 or better. But Baylor can play a bit, so UT best not fall asleep.

West Virginia vs. DePaul = Although the Blue Demons have come close a time or two of actually winning a conference game, they have as yet not managed to do so. I do not expect they shall today either, despite the fact that the Mountaineers have also fallen off the ridge a time or three themselves.

Kansas vs. Iowa State = And if the Jayhawks drop this one in Lawrence, Bill Self should shoot the mascot.

Georgia vs. South Carolina = Neither team seems likely at this point to make much noise nationally, but both have demonstrated they can play on occasion. Even were this NOT in the SEC, it would be a pick 'em.

George Mason vs. James Madison = Gentlemen, choose your weapons. This duel in the CAC impacts that ODU/VCU game above, as GM is the one tied with VCU. I'm not sure the Dukes can give the Rams any help on the Patriot's court, but JM can play a little themselves, so who knows? If you have any mid-major interest at all, keep an eye on this one, as well as the one above.

Florida vs. Tennessee = Can the Gators grab a stranglehold on the SEC East down in Gainesville today. No doubt. Can the Vols actually show up for a change and throw a wrench in the works? Well, maybe. They have enough skill available, but problems on and off the court have kept them off-balance all season. Yet if they want to make a late push, today would be a good time to start. If it's close at the half, it could be close at the end also.

Southern Mississippi vs. Memphis = And if you think the picture in YOUR conference is muddy, take a look at the CUSA! Amongst the top 6 teams there, one has a 6-2 record, two are at 7-3, and three at 6-3! Hell, you could throw a rock and hit all six! These two are amongst that clusterfark, so you know damn well they will be focused.

BYU vs. Utah = The first time these 2 met, the Utes only lost by 25 points. I don't expect much better a showing today.

California vs. Washington State = They may not be the class of the Pac-10, but at 6-6 each they both want this victory. This might be a nail-biter.

San Diego State vs. UNLV = The Aztecs only have a few more shots at p!$$ing away their tie with BYU atop the Mountain West, and a good piece of their national rep to boot. Tonight in Sin City is one of those. I vowed I'd not pick against them until they fell on their obsidian knives, so I shan't. Still, stay tuned with this one.

Detroit vs. Butler = Neither one of these will win the Horizon without a lot of help from others, yet they are decent teams and will most likely give us one heck of a contest.

Wright State vs. Valparaiso = But here, here we have a truly vital Horizon game. With Valpo leading at 10-3, Cleveland State on their necks at 10-4, and the WS Raiders all the way back at 10-5 . . . well, you get the picture.

Murray State vs. Jacksonville State = If Joe's Racers do not beat the 'Cocks into bloody stumps, he has no reason to complain. On paper, it's no contest.

Stanford vs. Washington = The Huskies stopped their 3-game losing streak by beating one NoCal team, and hope to keep the wins coming against the other tonight. They likely will, as the Cardinal is pretty much a .500 team at best. Still, the fact remains that the Huskies are not nearly as good as they were supposed to be, so who knows? Stranger things have happened.

Pitt vs. Villanova = Only one of these has been consistently good all year, but again the fact remains that 'Nova can beat almost anybody on a given night. This may not be that given night, however, and I won't pick a Big East team to knock off the Panthers until they give me some evidence to the contrary. It should be close for a while, yet the Wildcats have had problems sealing the deal. Pitt by 3 possessions.

Kansas State vs. Colorado = Along with the MSU Spartans, K-State's Wildcats have had the most disappointing collapse this season. But the Buffaloes have been no better of late, dropping 6 of their last 7. Hey, maybe they both suck! Pick 'em, if you dare.

Utah State vs. Fresno State = The Aggies dropped their first game in two months on Wednesday. I don't think they'll drop one to the aptly-named 'Dogs today.

SMU vs. UTEP = Remember above, when I talked about the moshpit CUSA race? Well, here's two more in the thick of it. I'd give the Miners a slim edge over the Mustangs, but it could go either way.

Wichita State vs. Northern Iowa = And here, in the Missouri Valley, is another key game. The Shockers are tied on top with Missouri State at 11-3, with the Panthers in 3rd place at 9-5. Both want it bad. I think the Shockers are a little better, but the game's in Cedar Falls, which might be worth a few points. Regardless, it should be a good one.

St. Mary's vs. San Francisco = It should not shock people who follow college hoops that the Gaels have a good team, and are on top of the WCC race. But unless your beard and memory are both loooong, you'd not expect the Dons to be in 2nd place, ahead of Gonzaga, Santa Clara, Pepperdine, Portland, Loyola Marymount - all names from more recent times. Hey, I know at least one other person who'll have an eye on this one, besides me, and that's Bill Russell. :-)

It's getting to crunch time in my game, so I'll be back later with early scores and Sunday games. Later.
[Reply]
jcruse64 12:53 PM 02-12-2011
The Cards hung in for the win over 'Cuse.

UK...tight game in Nashville with 5 left to play.
[Reply]
The Poet 02:12 PM 02-12-2011
The Cards hung in for the win over 'Cuse.

UK...tight game in Nashville with 5 left to play.
Indeed, two times, so first some early finals:

Louisville 73 - Syracuse 69 = A close one in the Crum Bucket, with Pitino giving Boeheim another tough loss. Though the Orange are not dropping like a stone, they are approaching lead balloon territory.

Vanderbilt 81 - Kentucky 77 = Not to gloat, but I love it. Me, I have a lot of respect for what Vandy manages to do, year after year, and still maintain a high academic standard. As for UK . . . well, they have half of that going for them anyway. :-)

Notre Dame 78 - South Florida 55 = Just about what I expected here. The Irish are hot, and the Bulls are gelded.

Boston College 76 - Maryland 72 = A very good home win for the Eagles over the Terps. The middle of the ACC's quickly becoming a muddle.

Richmond 64 - Saint Louis 52 = And the only shock here is that the Spiders had such a relatively hard time with the Billikens.

UNC 64 - Clemson 62 = Well, I said it wouldn't be easy, with the Heels having a slight edge. Harrison Barnes broke a tie at 51 with a dunk with 3:01 to play to give Carolina the lead for good . . . though it would have been for gooder had they hit a few more stinkin'g FTs late, or even earlier. :-)

Temple 75 - Dayton 63 = I'd hoped for a closer one, but I'm not surprised the Owls took it. This one just about ends the Flyers' hopes . . . and maybe their whole season.

Arkansas 80 - LSU 61 = Well, what do you know? One SEC game that actually turns out to be what you'd think.

Missouri 84 - Oklahoma 61 = I figured the Tigers would get to the Sooners sooner or later. Seems like it was sooner.

Texas A&M 70 - Texas Tech 67 = Hunh? You mean the Aggies let the Red Raiders stay so close? WTF?

And now, for the biggie:

Wisconsin 71 - Ohio State 67 = And the last one bites the dust. Not just a great win for the Badgers, but one which defines modern college hoops: Nobody goes home without a scratch.

Back soon with some Sunday picks.
[Reply]
The Poet 02:31 PM 02-12-2011
Games of note come Sunday include:

St. John's vs. Cincinnati = Can the Red Storm keep on stormin', and shave the Bearcats on the road? At this point, I'd hate to pick against them . . . but I will. Cincy in a close one.

N.C. State vs. Wake Forest = The Wolfpack is not the worst team in the ACC. Let's see if they can prove that against the Deacs in Greensboro.

Georgia Tech vs. Virginia Tech = And the Yellow Jackets are also not the ACC's worst. But they are not as good as the Hokies. Sure, they can win. But I don't think they will.

Georgetown vs. Marquette = Although the Hoyas will probably have problems putting the Golden Eagles away, they ought to manage that down in DC.

Purdue vs. Illinois = Both of these have shown they can win, and they can just as easily lose too. Flip a coin.

Xavier vs. Duquesne = A huge game in the A-10, with the two teams tied atop going head-to-head. I'm looking for blood in the lane before this one's done.

Duke vs. Miami = The last time the Blue Devils went down to the Sunshine State, they came back with a loss. But that was against the Seminoles, and not the Hurricanes, so as much as I would like it, as it would help my Heels, I can't see a repeat of that happening. Duke, big.

U. Conn vs. Providence = And as much as I like seeing Jim Calhoun lose, I can't see the Friars winning in Storrs. It could happen, but that would be at least a minor shock to me.

Arizona vs. Arizona State = There is little doubt that the desert 'Cats have a better squad than does the Sun Devils. That being said, when it comes to in-state conference rivals, on ASU's court, you have to give Sendek's boys at least an outside shot at it. I'll believe it when I see it, but you never know.

I'm bushed, so that's it until Monday. 'Til then then, enjoy. Screw Drew.
[Reply]
jcruse64 10:11 PM 02-12-2011
Awright, first, ya gotta quit calling it the Crum Bucket, for the love of Rick!!!! The new digs goes by the official name "Pitino's Palace", or "The House That Rick Built". Show some respect! :-):-):-) Good win for them, by the way, but they sure tried to let it slip at the end.

It IS easy to feel good about Vandy and Stallings program. A top notch school, with great academic programs and a med school and facilities that are among the nations best, and still manage to put a good team on the floor nearly every year. I had a feeling this was going to happen. UK had the game, and took their foot off the gas right after bagging the lead. No bench and no consistent focus = no Final Four for this squad this year. Kills me to say that.

Racers win!!!!! By the skin of their teeth, at 1 point at the buzzer. Ugly game for the Racers, who couldn't hold a lead until 7 minutes left in the game, and shooting a typical (for them) 50% from the line. Pitiful, and no excuse for it.

Missed the game while in Murray; looks like Pitt had a close game.
[Reply]
The Poet 02:26 PM 02-14-2011
Awright, first, ya gotta quit calling it the Crum Bucket, for the love of Rick!!!! The new digs goes by the official name "Pitino's Palace", or "The House That Rick Built". Show some respect! :-):-):-) Good win for them, by the way, but they sure tried to let it slip at the end.
Hey, I thought I was showing some respect! :-) Let's get real: It wasn't Pitino who built the Louisville program, but Denny Crum. What with so many other former coaches honored with their names on courts. . . Phog Allen, Adolph Rupp, John Wooden, Dean Smith, Lou Carnesecca, etc. . . I thought that this appellation was apt. Besides, I'M not the one who called it the KFC Yumi in the first place, so don't blame ME for the "Bucket" part! :-)

Update to follow.
[Reply]
The Poet 04:26 PM 02-14-2011
It IS easy to feel good about Vandy and Stallings program. A top notch school, with great academic programs and a med school and facilities that are among the nations best, and still manage to put a good team on the floor nearly every year. I had a feeling this was going to happen. UK had the game, and took their foot off the gas right after bagging the lead. No bench and no consistent focus = no Final Four for this squad this year. Kills me to say that.

Racers win!!!!! By the skin of their teeth, at 1 point at the buzzer. Ugly game for the Racers, who couldn't hold a lead until 7 minutes left in the game, and shooting a typical (for them) 50% from the line. Pitiful, and no excuse for it.

Missed the game while in Murray; looks like Pitt had a close game.

Joe, I'm totally with you on Vandy. No offense intended, but that is the only SEC school I hold in unreserved respect. As for UK blowing the lead, with "no bench and no consistent focus", I put that all on Cal. He recruits the best "one-and-dones" in the country, then pretends his "dribble-drive" streetball approach is actual coaching, as opposed to just throwing out the orange and letting his guys hoop, in the hope they can outplay all others. Again, no offense, but it does NOT kill me to say THAT.

As for your other 2 points:

Pitt 57 - Villanova 54 = I'm not surprised the Panthers won, and not surprised they had a tough one in Philly. Aside from the relatively poor shooting, this one's about right, all the way around.

Murray State 60 - Jacksonville State 59 = How true, a win is a win. But how true that your Racers should never have had this much trouble with a 5-22 team. Yeah, everybody has a cold shooting night now and then, but that's when the better teams dig deep and hustle to make something work, somehow. You were there, and maybe they did that, but still :-). I'm pulling for your Racers, but games like this don't make that easy. And the squeaker was even more important for them, due to . . .

Morehead State 64 - SE Missouri State 52 = One way or the other, "MSU" was going to be atop the OVC. That one-point win keeps Murray State there by a full game, instead of being tied with the Eagles for the conference.

Alabama 74 - Mississippi 64 = But it does seem as if the Tide has taken complete control over the SEC West, so barring their total collapse it is theirs.

Colorado 58 - Kansas State 56 = These two haven't any chance at all to take the Big 12, yet I'm a bit surprised on two fronts. One, I did not expect the Buffaloes to get some of the "quality" wins they've managed to so far. Two, although I never thought K-State was as good as their pre-season hype, I never thought they would just crumble like they have either.

Columbia 75 - Penn 62 = OK, so Penn's not as good as they have been in some past seasons. But to let the West Harlem Lions beat them like this? Please.

Florida 61 - Tennessee 60 = I felt this could be close, so maybe I'm not totally stupid after all. The Gators did just enough to do what they needed to grab the SEC East by the throat. Meanwhile, the Vols have not responded to the return of Bruce Pearl, and if they can't beat the 'Cocks on Wednesday they will join them in the basement.

Florida State 63 - Virginia 56 = For a little while I thought the Cavs would help my Heels by knocking off the 'Noles down south. But FSU hung on for a win that keeps them right on my Heels for 2nd place in the ACC.

Memphis 67 - Southern Mississippi 61 = A good win at home for the Tigers, but it still does little to resolve the CUSA race. With 1/2 the teams still in contention, this could go down to the final week, or even the final game.

Texas 69 - Baylor 60 = I predicted that the Longhorns should take it by 10 or better. They let me down, and only won by 9. So, I'm an idiot, OK? Feel better now?

San Diego State 63 - UNLV 57 = I can't say this is much of a shock, since the Aztecs have been fairly consistent all season. However, even giving the Casino Runs a few possessions for home-court advantage, I'd have to say it's not very impressive for a "Top Ten" team against one that hasn't sniffed a ranking so far this year. Yet again, a win's a win, so there is that.

Valparaiso 58 - Wright State 56 = Here's a huge win in the Horizon for the Crusaders to give them the slimmest lead there, but much like the CUSA this one's far from over. Hey, four more teams could spit and hit them, easy.

ODU 70 - VCU 59 = By comparison, the CAC's a cakewalk to call, what with only 4 teams bunched at the top. I'm a little surprised the Monarchs won by double-digits, but I knew it could go either way. So here's another mid-major race to keep in mind>

Now on Sunday here's the big ones:

St. John's 59 - Cincinnati 57 = I wondered if the Johnnies could shave the Bearcats, and they managed by a whisker. With six games left on their schedule, three tough and three not-so-much, it's beginning to look like they might actually earn themselves an at-large this year.

Xavier 71 - Duquesne 63 = Aside from the relatively "huge" margin of victory, no surprise here. The X-Men grab the slimmest of leads in the A-10 . . . in another race that won't be over 'til it's over.

Duke 81 - Miami 71 = Some Blue Devil fans may have thought that, what with Ohio State losing, and Pitt and Texas not showing dominance in their games either, they might actually move up a bit in the polls. Well, not when you beat a "meh" team like the 'Canes so weakly. OK, so Miami has lost a handful of conference heartbreakers. Granted, but on the other hand their conference wins have been heartbreakers also, just sneakers on the other foot. This was NOT a very powerful statement, Dook.

Purdue 81 - Illinois 70 = The Illini had their chances at home, but they could not make the plays in the final minutes. Regardless, a good win for the Boilermakers, which gives them an outside shot at taking the Big Ten . . . if they take care of their own business, and get a little more help against the Buckeyes.

Tonight I only spot two games that interest me at all:

Syracuse vs. West Virginia = The Mountaineers have shown they are, on any given night, capable of beating almost anyone. The Orange have lately shown they are equally capable of losing to almost anybody, as they've done 6 of their last 8 games. This one's in the Dome, but even that hasn't been much help to the 'Cuse so far. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, and make this a pick 'em.

Kansas vs. Kansas State = Speaking of doubt, you have no doubt read my posts about how hard it is to predict in-state conference rival games. Well, I predict that if K-State finally finds it feet again and manages to knock off the newest # 1 team in the polls then I shall report it tomorrow. I may report it anyway, unless it is the complete Jayhawk spanking I expect. KU over KSU, double-digits.

See you tomorrow, I presume. Until then, enjoy. Screw Drew.
[Reply]
SD Beerman 04:42 PM 02-14-2011
Originally Posted by :
San Diego State 63 - UNLV 57 = I can't say this is much of a shock, since the Aztecs have been fairly consistent all season. However, even giving the Casino Runs a few possessions for home-court advantage, I'd have to say it's not very impressive for a "Top Ten" team against one that hasn't sniffed a ranking so far this year. Yet again, a win's a win, so there is that.
They could have easily blown them out they pretty much led most of the game. They have been missing their starting #2 guard and their sixth man for the last 3 games. Bright spot was that their supposed weakness is the foul line and they hit 8 in a row at the end of the game. Everyone is getting ready for the 26th against BYU. thanks for keeping up.:-)
[Reply]
jcruse64 06:46 PM 02-14-2011
St. John's play has me rooting for them to get an at-large. I like Lavin, and was disappointed he did not get more time at UCLA. That was also where Pitino lost me as a fan (like he needs me). I thought he was pretty classless in the way he expressed interest in Glavin's job while Glavin was still working it.

'Cuse is trying to put WV away with 6 minutes left.

Got no argument with you on Vandy either, Poet! And Vandy is a TOUGH road game.
[Reply]
Page 12 of 20
« First < 2101112 1314 > Last »
Up