Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 114 of 138
« First < 1464104112113114 115116124 > Last »
Sports>NHL '10 - '11 Thread
Sawyer 06:53 AM 05-28-2011
Originally Posted by Bruins Fan:
The ref's don't blow whistles in game sevens,yeah they let a few go,it was a clean hard fought game.
What is in the past is in the past there is no guarantees that Tampa would have scored on the PP, for the most part they were shut down the whole series.
Tampa was lucky the score was just one they were dominated the whole game.
We watched different games.
kugie 11:35 AM 05-31-2011
I was looking at the Stanley Cup Finals Schedule and the NBA Finals Schedule, and there is a very good chance that the NBA could finish before the NHL this year.
If there is a sweep in both leagues or both leagues go to a game 7 or even if they go an equal amount of games to close the series the NBA will finish first. I don't think this has ever happened before.
I think this sucks! I don't think it's good for the Sport of Hockey in anyway
It goes way to late in the year, and with baseball in full swing and going up directly against the NBA finals, people can loose interest.
The five games the Bruins played in April to close out the season took almost 2 weeks.
They could find a way to move those games into the regular season and close the season out by the end of March or the first couple of days in April not the middle of April.:-)

I mean the NBA Starts a month after the NHL, they Play the same amount of games and hockey takes longer.:-)

What do you think??
mithrilG60 11:48 AM 05-31-2011
Atlanta has officially sent it's NHL franchise North for a second time. I wonder if Winterpeg will choose to revive the Jet's name or go with a new one.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2041077/
Gophernut 12:06 PM 05-31-2011
Originally Posted by mithrilG60:
Atlanta has officially sent it's NHL franchise North for a second time. I wonder if Winterpeg will choose to revive the Jet's name or go with a new one.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2041077/
I for one would love to see the Jet's return! At least the teams have both gone to Canadian cities.
mithrilG60 12:19 PM 05-31-2011
If it had been Phoenix moving back to Winnipeg then I'm sure it would have been the Jet's without question, but given that the Coyotes are staying put are the Thrashers really the Jets? That'd be like moving the Hurricanes or Blue Jackets to Quebec City and renaming them the Nordiques despite the fact that the Avalanche are still around. Seems a bit uncomfortable to me.

True North also owns Vancouver's farm team the Manitoba Moose which already has a strong following in Winnipeg so they may choose to transfer that name to the NHL and sell of the Moose without a name and let that new owner (looking to be St. John's NL where ironically Moose would be a prefect name to connect local culture) re-brand that team for the local market.

Ultimately True North may not have any say, they need the fans support to make this acquisition work and the citizen's of Winnipeg have a deep attachment to the old Jet's name and franchise.
Eleven 01:33 PM 05-31-2011
I vote for the Jets!
Ahbroody 02:10 PM 05-31-2011
Joe I agree this is crazy. Taking a whole week break just raises eyebrows when its not needed. Well the Canucks I am sure wanted it as apparently eirhoff and Rome will get back and heard rumors of Manny. Dont think the Bs needed it.

Winnipeg is now the new smallest market in thr NHL this just seems to have the potential to backfire. An interesting thing is they are already placing residents in an interesting situation which apparently Minnesota did also. All seats require atleast a 3 year contract some a 5 year. The lower seats 129 in are demanding a 5 year commitment. Which is about 30 grand. Now given nobody gets one seat you are looking at a 60k guarantee for the next 5 years. This just seems like a bad sign already. I am sure that doesnt include a price freeze so you will end up over 60 for two in the end. Another interesting thing which I think is a sign of potential issues is while the lower seats are cheap compared to other rinks the cheapest upper seat is more then most arenas. Now they are asking for a 5 year commitment on those suprising cheap lower seats. I just see people being locked in and the team raising prices to be consistent with other teams and people getting pissed.

http://driveto13.com/price.php

Edit: holy crap 64.00 for third deck center area which is pretty wide. That pricing structure is pretty bad on a lot of seats outside of a few teams. I never thought san jose had great prices untill now. My seats would be almost $20 more per game.
357 02:19 PM 05-31-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Robert, I have no dog in this fight as I am neither a Bruins nor a Bolts fan. In facty, I like the Thrashers better than both of them.

But the Bruins players gooned it up? Right...they are players, and it is hockey. Fans don't get the right to throw stuff at the players for the price of admission. :-)
Can't we all just throw octopi and get along?

BTW, I agree with reviving the Jets name in Winnipeg. My fingers are still crossed for a move Wing's move to the East.
icehog3 02:19 PM 05-31-2011
The Jets are in Phoenix, they need a new name. :-)
icehog3 02:20 PM 05-31-2011
Originally Posted by 357:
. My fingers are still crossed for a move Wing's move to the East.
:-)
Ahbroody 02:22 PM 05-31-2011
X2

Our new doormat is not allowed to leave. We have a few more years worth of revenge in us. I think I would actually miss the Sharks Nemesis. Life would be boring if we couldnt hate the wings.
LasciviousXXX 02:24 PM 05-31-2011
The Jets are in Phoenix, they need a new name. :-)
Yes! Bring back the Whalers!~

icehog3 02:28 PM 05-31-2011
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX:
Yes! Bring back the Whalers!~

:-) :-)
Bruins Fan 03:05 PM 05-31-2011
I don't understand why anyone would want to move a team to Winnipeg?
This franchise is doomed from the start?
icehog3 04:57 PM 05-31-2011
I believe a city have to meet season ticket criteria before the NHL will even consider them, so Winnipeg must have shown them something.
E.J. 05:41 PM 05-31-2011
Originally Posted by Ahbroody:
An interesting thing is they are already placing residents in an interesting situation which apparently Minnesota did also. All seats require atleast a 3 year contract some a 5 year. The lower seats 129 in are demanding a 5 year commitment. Which is about 30 grand. Now given nobody gets one seat you are looking at a 60k guarantee for the next 5 years.
OUCH...that is an S5.

Agree with what most said here, I don't understand/am frustrated with the long layoff...
mithrilG60 09:52 PM 05-31-2011
Originally Posted by Ahbroody:
http://driveto13.com/price.php

Edit: holy crap 64.00 for third deck center area which is pretty wide. That pricing structure is pretty bad on a lot of seats outside of a few teams. I never thought san jose had great prices untill now. My seats would be almost $20 more per game.
That's it? Wow, that pricing is a bargain for a Canadian market team. The equivalent upper bowl seat in Rogers Arena would be $85 for a game that no one cares about, $110 - $120 for a premium game like Original 6 or divisional rival. Lower bowl tickets run $110 - $200+.

That franchise has a better chance than most of the struggling Southern US markets. Most market studies have shown that you need a min pop. of 800,000 in a Canadian market to support an NHL team. Winnipeg meets that and, despite not having had an NHL franchise for 15 years still has some of the most loyal fan base in the league. It'll never be a big market like a Montreal, Boston, Chicago, Detroit, NY, Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, etc but it'll more than support itself.

A large part of what drove the Jet's out in the mid-90's was the cost of replacing an ancient stadium that no longer met NHL standards combined with a weak CDN dollar vs player's salaries paid in USD and a run away salary market plus a weak economy. None of those issues are factors anymore.

The long layover has been very frustrating, I think it's mostly trying to work around scheduling conflicts with other events in the 2 rinks. I'm betting there was also a component of wanting to make sure that the Eastern winner had enough rest to make it an entertaining series. Yet again the West Coast gets screwed by the NHL's slavish devotion to the TV market in the Eastern time zone, 5PM PDT starts for all games is BS... God forbid someone in the east might loose some beauty sleep from having to watch a hockey game that starts later than 8PM. All that said, can't wait to get this series rolling tomorrow night!
icehog3 11:17 PM 05-31-2011
I just want to see that giant portrait of the Queen! :-)
mithrilG60 08:27 AM 06-01-2011
I just want to see that giant portrait of the Queen! :-)

5x7m. Apparently has been in storage in Whitby, Ontario and for sale since 2007 :-)
agctribefan 08:35 AM 06-01-2011
Game 1 tonight! Gonna get me some good beer and watch this with my dad. Lets go bruins!
Page 114 of 138
« First < 1464104112113114 115116124 > Last »
Up