Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 11 of 40
« First < 91011 121321 > Last »
Sports>College Hoops Thread '09-'10
The Poet 12:56 PM 01-16-2010
Kansas up a football final at the half, of 42-18. Ole Miss over Vols 33-28 at the break, and Sooners by 5 with 4 minutes left. For what seems the umpteenth time, Tar Heels trying to dig themselves out of the massive hole they earlier dug, and only down 14 at the break. :-)

Hell, I've gotta laugh - I'm too big a boy to cry. :-)
[Reply]
Resipsa 12:56 PM 01-16-2010
And the Orangemen of Syracuse go.....

Woot

Woot

Woot.

BTW, I pay attention to Siena, it's right down the road from me.:-)
[Reply]
The Poet 01:28 PM 01-16-2010
Originally Posted by Resipsa:
And the Orangemen of Syracuse go.....

Woot

Woot

Woot.

BTW, I pay attention to Siena, it's right down the road from me.:-)
Good for your Orange, and good for you re Siena. Most people never hear of them until Selection Sunday, when they say "Who the fark's Siena? I thought that was a crayon!"

Oklahoma 66 - Missouri 61. Kansas owning TT, Ole Miss up 6 over Vols, and the Heels have cut into Wreck's lead - by a whole point.
[Reply]
The Poet 01:52 PM 01-16-2010
Kansas 89 - Texas Tech 63. No contest. Ole Miss and Tenn going into OT, and Heels get within 5 with plenty of time left.
[Reply]
The Poet 02:02 PM 01-16-2010
Ole Miss up by one with 50 ticks in OT. Heels down by one with 3 1/2 left.
[Reply]
The Poet 02:04 PM 01-16-2010
Heels up 2 with 1:46 left.
[Reply]
The Poet 02:05 PM 01-16-2010
Vols up 2 with 15 ticks. What a bunch of games!
[Reply]
The Poet 02:11 PM 01-16-2010
Tennessee 71 - Mississippi 69 (OT). Heels up one with 35 ticks.
[Reply]
The Poet 02:18 PM 01-16-2010
Georgia Tech 73 - UNC 71. Tar Heels had their chances. I'm beginning to think they will never learn to show up for the entire game.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:20 PM 01-18-2010
Were I to post all the close scores over the past few days I'd be at it all afternoon, so I'll just hit the highlights here. In the balance of the games Saturday:

Texas 72 - Texas A&M 67 (OT) = The Longhorns, ranked No. 1 for the very first time, did most definitely dodge a bullet from the Aggies, and on their own court even. The 'Horns took their first lead in the game in OT, and were down by as much as 13 in the first half . . . which may not sound like much, but it was their largest deficit of the season.

Kentucky 72 - Auburn 67 = However, the Wildcats once again showed their total dominance as they completely outclassed the powerful Auburn Tigers (9-9) to remain undefeated . . . of course. Their helpless opponent was down by an insurmountable 3 whole points when they finally got the ball back with a mere 37 seconds left, and if they had hit a desperation shot to tie the match they would only have prolonged their embarrassing slaughter. Watch out, UCLA . . . your 88-game winning streak is just outside of UK's grasp.

Northwestern 72 - Purdue 64 = This is likely third on my list here due to the fact that I believed the Boilermakers should have owned the court. Back when they were ranked 4th I said I felt that was too high . . . guess 6th was also.

Kansas State 87 - Colorado 81 = And this is fourth not only because I thought it might just be this close but also because there were an outrageous 94 FTs in this one. I'd have hated to be the pea in those whistles.

Ohio State 60 - Wisconsin 51 = The resurgence of the Buckeyes continues.

Michigan State 73 - Illinois 63 = Though closer than I expected, the Spartans keep pace.

Cincinnati 60 - Notre Dame 58 = After losing that heartbreaker to St. John's, Bearcats hand the Irish one.

Florida State 63 - Virginia Tech 58 = Just your typical Semi-Hokie matchup.

Virginia 75 - Miami 57 = Wait a second here . . . the Cavaliers are on top of the ACC, ahead of the Devils, the Heels, the Terps, the Deacs, the whoevers? Who'd a thunk? Not me. And to spank Miami by nearly 20? Whoa.

I found only a few games Sunday to note, given than others were totally expected:

Indiana 81 - Minnesota 78 (OT) = The Hoosiers are far from back, but this is a nice win.

Michigan 68 - U. Conn 63 = And this is a better one for the Logans.

Villanova 82 - Georgetown 77 = And this was just about what one would want in a 'Nova/Hoya match, but not exactly what I'd expect. That's a lot of points in a Georgetown game, given their history of stingy D.

Tonight there are only a handful of decent games scheduled. Fairfield has already beaten Canisius 76-74, and the Rider/Iona game may be about as good. But the two you guys will care about are:

Syracuse vs. Notre Dame = The Orange should own the Irish, but you never know in conference matchups.

Texas vs. Kansas State = The Longhorns have been winning, but things have gotten tougher for them lately, so this could be some fun here too.

Enjoy.
[Reply]
Resipsa 07:17 PM 01-18-2010
Originally Posted by The Poet:

Syracuse vs. Notre Dame = The Orange should own the Irish, but you never know in conference matchups.
and so they did.

More wootage from the 'Cuse.

Did I mention I really like this squad? Very balanced, they don't have a heavy hitter and don't need to rely on one to win, unlike some other teams. Should make them very dangerous when the dance comes round.
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 01:52 AM 01-19-2010
UK is the only remaining undefeated team left...even though they suck and should have lost like 8 games by now. They are just super lucky and manage to barely make shots at the end of games to beat the measly opponents they play...no worries, I am sure their luck will run out.

C-A-T-S Cats Cats Cats!
[Reply]
Resipsa 03:37 AM 01-19-2010
Originally Posted by WildBlueSooner:
UK is the only remaining undefeated team left...even though they suck and should have lost like 8 games by now. They are just super lucky and manage to barely make shots at the end of games to beat the measly opponents they play...no worries, I am sure their luck will run out.
Yup, that's the word on them
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 05:58 AM 01-19-2010
Originally Posted by Resipsa:
Yup, that's the word on them
18-0 I will take it. Better to be lucky than good. :-)
[Reply]
The Poet 03:09 PM 01-19-2010
Well. I'm glad some others are getting into this too. And James, nobody ever said that UK did not have a great team this year, one that (failing a stumble this week) will likely take over the # 1 spot in the next poll. My only point was, good as they have played, they have not played unbeatable ball . . . despite their record. Further, I am of the mind that, in this day and age, no team can survive the NCAA with a perfect record, and I will hold this opinion until some team proves me wrong.

That being said, let us note that some basketball was played last night which did NOT involve UK. This is not indisputable proof that the game exists without Wildcat involvement, yet it does present some evidence to that effect. For instance:

Kansas State 71 - Texas 62 = So now we are down to that previously mentioned last of the unbeaten squads. The Longhorns waited a looooong time to finally be ranked the best team in the nation, and very quickly found out that life's rough at the top. Well, they won't have to sweat that again, at least for a while . . . unless the also previously mentioned "stumble" occurs, that is. Kudos to K-State for a great win, and for especially good play on D. As for the 'Horns, they should look on the bright side: Not only is the pressure off now, but they improved on their 35% shooting against Texas A&M in their prior game by stepping it up . . . to 36%.

Syracuse 84 - Notre Dame 71 = The Juice keeps running. Hey, the Irish ain't much this year, but any double-digit W in conference play is peachy-fine by me.

Virginia 69 - N. C. Wilmington 67 = Just as soon as I was starting to wonder if the Cavs are finally back, they pull a stunt like this. Yes, it is a win. But for a team with 12 Ws, and 3-0 so far in the ACC, playing against one with 12 Ls, AND ON THEIR HOME COURT!!, to win it by a deuce on a jumper with 2 ticks left? Another of my "bad" wins here.

Tonight there are a few games with the potential to be really good, and even of significance, despite the continued absence of UK from the schedule:

Tennessee vs. Alabama = The Vols have a few of their "felons" back on the court (as opposed to "in court"), and have played quite well even without them. Just ask the Jayhawks. But 'Bama ain't no cupcake either. Give the Rockytoppers the edge, yet don't plan on any blowouts.

Clemson vs. Georgia Tech = Though I'll be the first to admit that beating the Tar Heels hasn't the cache this year as it has had in the past, one cannot help but note that these two have done so . . . one by a spanking in Death Valley and the other by holding off a furious rally in Chapel Hill. This one ought to be a battle.

Ohio State vs. Northwestern = This one too. OSU has found themselves again, and Northwestern is coming off one of the best wins ever. Plus, this is the Big 10, so have the medics ready.

Oklahoma vs. Texas A&M = The Aggies put a scare into the 'Horns, and are reviving some of the rep they earlier squandered. The Sooners are pretty decent too. If both teams show up equally, A&M may win by two possessions or so, yet if either one stays in the locker room you never know.

Boston College vs. Miami = And it just keeps on coming. Both these teams need the conference win, yet they only hand out one.

Purdue vs. Illinois = As for this one, not so much. Purdue should spank the Illini, but then again I thought they'd spank Northwestern too. That alone proves WTF I know.

Northern Iowa vs. Wichita State = And why do I bring this one up? Well NIU is ranked for only the 2nd time in . . . forever . . . and at # 20 their highest one also. As for Wichita State, they do have some history of good teams, so all-in-all this caught my eye. Do you guys care? Maybe not, but then why should I care if you do? :-)

Enjoy.
[Reply]
DrDubzz 03:24 PM 01-19-2010
Texas is my team, but it hurts to watch them from the line

that has to get fixed
[Reply]
The Poet 03:27 PM 01-19-2010
In other news, Jim Calhoun is taking a leave of absence from U. Conn. to deal with an undisclosed medical issue. The 67-year-old coach has had several health problems in recent years, ranging from cancer to dehydration to broken ribs from an accident. Furthermore, he is likely under some mental and emotional strain due to the continuing NCAA investigation of violations regarding the recruitment of Nate Miles.

Place your bets now, friends: If Calhoun has coached his last game, will U. Conn ever be U. Conn again? They came out of nowhere when he arrived, so shall they disappear into that same void when he leaves? Only time will tell.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:38 PM 01-19-2010
Originally Posted by RX2010:
Texas is my team, but it hurts to watch them from the line

that has to get fixed
I hear what you are saying there, brother, but I checked the stats and they don't quite support your pain issues. Yeah, I know it depends a lot on game situation, and on how many misses are the front-end of 1&1s, but of the 'Horns who average over 3 attempts per game only Pittman reeks at 53.7%. All the others hit 2 of 3 or better - which ain't great, but ain't crap either - while Brown is at a steller 93.5%. Your guys may be poor, but they are far from the bricklayers you seem to present them as being.

But then again, they are your boys, and you know them better than me.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:04 PM 01-20-2010
Well, what do you know? I managed to get a few right last night:

Tennessee 63 - Alabama 56 = As I thought, the Vols got the W, but did not spank the Tide.

Georgia Tech - Clemson 64 = And this was the battle I predicted, coming down to a pair of FTs with 2 ticks left.

Boston College 79 - Miami 75 = And another war here too. Man, am I good!

Texas A&M 65 - Oklahoma 62 = The hits just keep on coming. I said Aggies by two possessions or so . . . so, is 3 points one, or one-and-a-half?

Purdue 84 - Illinois 78 = OK, here maybe I slipped a bit. I figured the Boilermakers would stomp Illinois, and they didn't. But hey, a W's a W, right?

Ohio State 76 - Northwestern 56 = OK, here maybe I slipped a lot. Though I did not give the Buckeyes an official nod, I did favor them in my heart . . . but not by 20 points. Yet the Wildcats need take much of the blame here, as nobody can figure out what they are. First they win 9 inna row to get people interested, then they lose 2, win 2, then L - W - L. Sheesh, you guys are supposed to be smart, so will you please make up your minds?

Wichita State 60 - Northern Iowa 51 = Help me out here, fellas, since I've lost count. How many times already this season has a team crept into the polls only to immediately fall on their face? It's getting so it's expected.

Tonight there are a goodly number of decent and meaningful games of note:

Michigan State vs. Iowa = Well, maybe not this one. The Spartans should own the Hawkeyes. But it is a conference game anyway.

Temple vs. Xavier = So is this one, and both are unbeaten in the A-10. That ends tonight, and it should be a hoot. The Owls have been a bit more consistent, but the X-men have the talent to take them.

Pittsburgh vs. Georgetown = Do I really need to say anything here? Panthers/Hoyas. There it is.

UNC vs. Wake Forest = And I have no idea what to say here either, but for different reasons. On paper the Tar Heels have as much talent as anyone else in the nation, and should dominate the Deacs. Their problem, however, is that the game is played on hardwood, not on paper, and they haven't been doing that . . . playing, I mean.

Texas Tech vs. Iowa State = Tech's national ranking disappeared a long time ago, and they are presently 0-3 in conference play. I expect that ends tonight.

BYU vs. Wyoming = The Cougars are ranked #14, with an 18-1 record . . . which tells you two things. Imprimis, they should own Wyoming. Secundus, nobody much cares.

Villanova vs. Rutgers = Imprimis above holds here for these felines over the Knights. However, being the Bid East, a lotta people care.

Auburn vs. LSU = These are both 0-3 in the SEC. I'm willing to bet that one of them get off the snide this evening.

Kansas vs. Baylor = When you're counting up those "rank" losers re my question re Northern Iowa above, don't forget the Bears. The Jayhawks should add to their pain, and then some.

Wisconsin vs. Michigan = The Badgers have not been playing as well as most expected, while the Wolverines have started to do better. This one just might be a blast.

Mississippi vs. South Carolina = And don't be too shocked if the Gamecocks give Ole Miss a cocky game also. I won't call the upset, but don't give too many points away.

Duke vs. N. C. State = Ehhhhh, as much as I'd like to give the Wolfpack a shot in this one, I really cannot do so. They have played better than I thought they would, but so has Dook . . . and I though the Devils were decent to begin with. However, stranger things have happened.

West Virginia vs. Marshall = And I'm not giving you this one simply because the Mountaineers are ranked, or because it is a non-conference in-state rivalry matchup. Maybe you don't know it, but the Thundering Herd is 15-2 (10-0 at home, 4-0 in CUSA play), plus they have a 6' 11" freshman hight Hassan Whiteside who averages 5.6 blocks/game. When you have a force like that in the paint, anything can happen.

Enjoy.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:29 PM 01-20-2010
Hot off the press, and not many details yet, and not many people who truly care anyway, but here's the latest: Georgia Southern has been put on two-year probation by the NCAA for violations regarding academic cheating on behalf of two former players. Further, all wins in which those players participated have been voided.

Man, talk about your Statesboro blues!
[Reply]
Page 11 of 40
« First < 91011 121321 > Last »
Up