Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 108 of 138
« First < 85898106107108 109110118 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
Adriftpanda 12:43 AM 08-08-2013

This guy is never wrong!
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 06:01 AM 08-08-2013
Originally Posted by Lockspur:
Cello saves sticks. In more ways than one.
+1. Back when I was starting, I used to remove the cigars from the cello as they looked so much better in the humi "naked". Then I damaged the foot on a few of them while moving things around. Since then, I keep the cello on.
[Reply]
markem 07:33 AM 08-08-2013
There is nothing wrong with aging in cello. It is porous and will allow air/humidity exchange. Cello also protects wrappers.

Some sealed plastic bags are also used for aging. If the cigars are at the right RH when sealed, they stay about at that RH while sealed. You do have to open the bags and reseal once in a while because air exchange is important, at least according to many experts.

Boxes and cabs inside humidors and coolers allow for air/RH exchange because the boxes and cabs are porous.

Interestingly, cigars stored in a singles drawer (or open containers) seem to often suffer from having one side with more humidity than the other and can often lead to what many call "canoeing" when smoked.

Finally, tossing out a random quote from someone who wrote a book without providing any information about why the quote should be considered worthy will pretty much always generate sardonic responses for both the quote and the person who thought that tossing out a random quote would somehow convince the world and/or give them cred.

The person who wrote this "ultimate" guide has it all wrong on cello as pretty much all experts and collectors with deep experience will tell you. Actually aging in cello (as many, many here have done) simply proves him wrong. Is there another random quote from the book that explains why his opinion is the correct one in the face of so much evidence to the contrary?

Aging in or out of cello is a preference, not a "do" or "do not" as is aging in a box or a bag or a finely controlled walk in humidor costing tens of thousands of dollars. Ask polite questions, try not to start arguments until you get real experience, and then do what you want provided it gives you the results that you are looking for.
[Reply]
Outlaw God 08:11 AM 08-08-2013
Originally Posted by Adriftpanda:

This guy is never wrong!
Your judging a person by what they look like?

People that criticize always think there right because there not doing anything

Laughably
[Reply]
pnoon 08:21 AM 08-08-2013
I think it's time to put the shovel down.
:-)
[Reply]
dijit 08:42 AM 08-08-2013
Originally Posted by markem:
There is nothing wrong with aging in cello. It is porous and will allow air/humidity exchange. Cello also protects wrappers.

Some sealed plastic bags are also used for aging. If the cigars are at the right RH when sealed, they stay about at that RH while sealed. You do have to open the bags and reseal once in a while because air exchange is important, at least according to many experts.

Boxes and cabs inside humidors and coolers allow for air/RH exchange because the boxes and cabs are porous.

Interestingly, cigars stored in a singles drawer (or open containers) seem to often suffer from having one side with more humidity than the other and can often lead to what many call "canoeing" when smoked.

Finally, tossing out a random quote from someone who wrote a book without providing any information about why the quote should be considered worthy will pretty much always generate sardonic responses for both the quote and the person who thought that tossing out a random quote would somehow convince the world and/or give them cred.

The person who wrote this "ultimate" guide has it all wrong on cello as pretty much all experts and collectors with deep experience will tell you. Actually aging in cello (as many, many here have done) simply proves him wrong. Is there another random quote from the book that explains why his opinion is the correct one in the face of so much evidence to the contrary?

Aging in or out of cello is a preference, not a "do" or "do not" as is aging in a box or a bag or a finely controlled walk in humidor costing tens of thousands of dollars. Ask polite questions, try not to start arguments until you get real experience, and then do what you want provided it gives you the results that you are looking for.
I think the one thing most have missed on the quote in question. The author said it is his preference. Actually I think it was more like "as I prefer." I havent had the luxury of travelling to any manufacturers but have spoken with a couple of brand owners who both said they prefer to age unwrapped but aging in celo is fine also its just a matter of preference. They both also mentioned that the celo is more a protectant than anything else and that wrapped or not wrapped we all should rotate our stock at least once a month to make sure they stay balanced instead of one side too moist creating "canoeing" I think it was called.

I think I agree with the majority here that there is a lot of evidence to show aging in celo is just fine.
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:47 AM 08-08-2013
Originally Posted by dijit:
I think the one thing most have missed on the quote in question. The author said it is his preference. Actually I think it was more like "as I prefer." I havent had the luxury of travelling to any manufacturers but have spoken with a couple of brand owners who both said they prefer to age unwrapped but aging in celo is fine also its just a matter of preference. They both also mentioned that the celo is more a protectant than anything else and that wrapped or not wrapped we all should rotate our stock at least once a month to make sure they stay balanced instead of one side too moist creating "canoeing" I think it was called.

I think I agree with the majority here that there is a lot of evidence to show aging in celo is just fine.
I think most people are disagreeing with the author's statement:
Originally Posted by :
As cello will considerably slow down and even halt the otherwise continuous aging process.
This quote may have been taken out of context, but the way the OP posted it, the statement is clearly in conflict with the experience of many people. The statement was posted as fact, when clearly it is not fact. It is the author's opinion and should have been posted as such, not as a fact.
[Reply]
T.G 08:50 AM 08-08-2013
Originally Posted by dijit:
I think the one thing most have missed on the quote in question. The author said it is his preference.

Sorry, but no. His assertion was touted as fact.
"As cello will considerably slow down and even halt the otherwise continuous aging process."

Then he went on to give his preference, to which everyone (except the person who posted it, who seems to think we should all bow to the author) has agreed "do what you want."
[Reply]
dijit 09:02 AM 08-08-2013
Originally Posted by T.G:
Sorry, but no. His assertion was touted as fact.
"As cello will considerably slow down and even halt the otherwise continuous aging process."

Then he went on to give his preference, to which everyone (except the person who posted it, who seems to think we should all bow to the author) has agreed "do what you want."
Sorry guess I missed the punctuation in his statement. Never heard of the ultimate author before and I read almost everything I can find about cigars to help with mine. Before today I had always read and heard it was a matter or preference.
[Reply]
Blueface 09:02 AM 08-08-2013
I bet the author will likely say you can't keep cigars fresh in an end table of your bedroom set. Bet he says you need a humidor.
Someone would then need to tell that to my dad, who for many years in Cuba kept them in a night table, with no seals, no cedar, with nothing more than a remikin with a wet sea sponge, no different than the rest of fellow Cubans did.
Does that make the author right because he has traveled the world?

Point of this analogy is it is an opinion and in the opinion of many, aging in cello is fine and works for them. We shouldn't be Jim Jones followers and drink the Kool Ade 'cause he said so.

[Reply]
dijit 09:05 AM 08-08-2013
Originally Posted by Blueface:
I bet the author will likely say you can't keep cigars fresh in an end table of your bedroom set. Bet he says you need a humidor.
Someone would then need to tell that to my dad, who for many years in Cuba kept them in a night table, with no seals, no cedar, with nothing more than a remikin with a wet sea sponge, no different than the rest of fellow Cubans did.
Does that make the author right because he has traveled the world?

Point of this analogy is it is an opinion and in the opinion of many, aging in cello is fine and works for them. We shouldn't be Jim Jones followers and drink the Kool Ade 'cause he said so.

especially if it isnt sugar sweetened kool ade
[Reply]
icehog3 10:07 AM 08-08-2013
Originally Posted by Outlaw God:
Your judging a person by what they look like?

People that criticize always think there right because there not doing anything

Laughably
I understand you not liking Hacker being attacked for his looks, you're right, it has no bearing on anything. But I notice you haven't addressed the belief by many experienced people here that Hacker's assertion that cello "halts the aging process" is complete nonsense. I would be more interested in your thoughts on that.
[Reply]
Outlaw God 10:09 AM 08-09-2013
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I understand you not liking Hacker being attacked for his looks, you're right, it has no bearing on anything. But I notice you haven't addressed the belief by many experienced people here that Hacker's assertion that cello "halts the aging process" is complete nonsense. I would be more interested in your thoughts on that.
Thanks for your patience's
In the photo below are some of my Cain cigars that are 4 years old note the plume on the unwrapped ones where plume is an indication of richer aging

For me a cellophane wrapped cigar is more protected but in this dramatic 4 year aging photo it dose to me show that unwrapped cigars do age faster (and it's NOT mold)

[Reply]
AdamJoshua 10:31 AM 08-09-2013
Wow In that case, I have some old cheese in the back of my fridge that has plume all over it in my fridge!
[Reply]
pnoon 10:46 AM 08-09-2013
In the photo below are some of my Cain cigars that are 4 years old note the plume on the unwrapped ones where plume is an indication of richer aging

For me a cellophane wrapped cigar is more protected but in this dramatic 4 year aging photo it dose to me show that unwrapped cigars do age faster (and it's NOT mold)

"plume is an indication of richer aging"

On what do you base that assertion?

To the best of my knowledge (I'm no Dick Hacker), plume is just an indication that the cigars were well stored.

And I'm not seeing any picture in your post.
[Reply]
T.G 11:16 AM 08-09-2013

That's mold, not plume. Mold forms in spots (colonies) which can be clearly seen in this photo, plume is a very fine crystalline dusting that will evenly coat the cigar.

Plume is pretty random really. Sometimes it forms, sometimes it doesn't. I've seen it form on cigars within 6-8 months (without removing the cello), and seen 15-20 year old cigars that never develop it. Has more to do with the capa leaf than anything else, if it were actually about "richer aging", every cigar in the humidor with the Cu-Avana maduros that plumed in 6-8 months would have also developed plume.
[Reply]
CamoFlogged 11:30 AM 08-09-2013
Gotta agree with the mold crowd here. Plume is the cigar oils crystalizing which can cause a haze on the cigar. This depends on many factors in the leaf and it won't affect all cigars. It won't be furry and not bunched up in my experience. From your photos, only circular areas of your cigar have enough oil to rise to the surface and crystalize? Now that just doesn't make sense does it?
[Reply]
CigarNut 11:59 AM 08-09-2013

Sorry Daniel, that is most definitely mold...
[Reply]
pektel 12:03 PM 08-09-2013
Oh geez... another plume vs. mold argument. These always end well. :-)

[Reply]
Blueface 12:13 PM 08-09-2013
Yup, clear mold.
Just go ahead and wipe them down.
Not much different than what happens at times in tubos.
[Reply]
Page 108 of 138
« First < 85898106107108 109110118 > Last »
Up