Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 10 of 20
« First < 8910 1112 > Last »
Sports>College Hoops Thread '10-'11
SD Beerman 02:58 PM 01-28-2011
I think SDSU will be fine, not much you can do with Fredette shooting like that.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:43 PM 01-28-2011
Would you farkin' believe it? I just spent the last hour typing my post, and as I got to the last entry some non-English speaking bozoette came in here to play a stinkin' dollar on the stinkin' lottery, and I lost the whole damn thing!

I'll play some catch-up tomorrow. I'm just to p!$$ed off at the moment to do anything but cuss.
[Reply]
The Poet 11:00 AM 01-29-2011
So lemme put on a full-court press and play a little catch-up here. First, some replies:

Originally Posted by jcruse64:
Wow! Good finish to the Mich vs Mich St game.
I'm not sure Tom Izzo would agree with you on that. :-)

Originally Posted by SD Beerman:
I think SDSU will be fine, not much you can do with Fredette shooting like that.
I agree with both assessments. I'm not worried about the Aztecs still winning their share, and earning a bid at the least. Can they then make a "George Mason" or even a "Butler" run? We will see. As for dealing with a hot shooter, you can always adopt the Duke defense for one . . . break his nose with your elbow. :-)

I'll check on early games, and be back with more soon.
[Reply]
The Poet 11:15 AM 01-29-2011
Already today, Temple has stomped St. Joe's 72-54 . . . as might have been expected. The Hawks have been awfully dovey this year, and are no match for the Owls.

Xavier has a modest 7-point lead over Richmond starting the 2nd half. It is far from safe, and I figure this one will go down to the wire.

U. Conn and Louisville just started the 2nd up in Storrs, and the Huskies hold a meaningless 3-point edge. They may hold on for a victory, but I expect another war here.

For some reason, George Mason is having more trouble with William&Mary than I thought, and only lead by 8. They will likely run away in the second, but who knows?

Clemson, playing in Littlejohn, hold a surprising 9-point lead over Florida State at the half. I'm not surprised that the Tigers are giving the Semiholes game, but the fact that FSU scored only 18 in that first 20 minutes is not a good sign for an ACC-leading team, even on the road.

Georgetown has built a 8-point lead at Villanova, but it's still early in the second. Whoh, as I was typing that, it moved to 11 points. 'Nova better wake up, as they are not capable of catching up too much against the Hoya D.

Early in the first, Mississippi State has a slim lead over Florida. The Gators have the talent and the time to do whatever needs to be done down in Starkville, so this one means nothing yet.

I'll be back a bit later.
[Reply]
The Poet 11:41 AM 01-29-2011
OK, while I'm waiting to see what happens in those games, why don't I get some old business out of the way? Thursday night:

Michigan 61 - Michigan State 57 = Yeah, I know the young Wolverines have started to play a little better. Yeah, I know the Spartans have been folding up like a cheap suit. But for them to lose on their home court, and fall to 12-8 overall and 4-4 in the Big Ten? Who'd have thunk? I know one thing for sure . . . if the Spartans are still ranked come Monday, I'm calling for a congressional investigation. Yet give credit to UM for a very good win. Staying with surprises in the B-10 . . .

Indiana 52 - Illinois 49 = I did feel as though the Hoosiers could hang tough on their own floor with the Illini, but I really never thought they could win. Good for them, for sad to say, wins like this is about all IU has had to cheer about of late.

VCU 82 - Hofstra 67 = And although the outcome was no shock, the size of the margin is one. I figured the Rams might win, but for them to spank the Pride like this, and take 1st place in the CAC with so little juice in the game . . . well, I would never believe it.

Rider 61 - Iona 59 = This one was precisely what I thought it would be: A tough tight one that either one could take.

Vanderbilt 81 - Mississippi State 74 = But I called this one, so it was no surprise at all. As I said, Vandy is a better team. However, the win is meaningful for one thing more than the conference race . . . this was the first Commodore win in Starkville in a long time, and broke a 8-loss streak there. Speaking of breaking losing streaks . . .

St. Mary's 73 - Gonzaga 71 = Not only did this give the Gaels an extra leg up over the traditional WCC champ, it was their first win in Spokane since 1995. But if you think that is something . . .

Oregon 67 - Stanford 59 = This was the Ducks first win at the Cardinal since 1986, for cryin' out loud! Not only that, but Stanford has played much better overall than the Ducks, so here's one I would have never guessed.

So now, I've done some of what I didn't get done yesterday, and cut the deficit to single digits. I'll try to get ahead after the break.
[Reply]
The Poet 12:16 PM 01-29-2011
Louisville and U. Conn are tied at 61 in OT. 'Nova is a point behind G'town with 1:59 to go. One final:

Clemson 62 - Florida State 44 = A big win for the Tigers, and an even bigger loss for FSU. This is their 2nd in the ACC, and if my Heels can take the Wolfpack in the Dean Dome (it just tipped off) that would leave them and Dook as the only 1-loss teams in league play. It's still too early to mean much, but it's better than being in the basement.
[Reply]
The Poet 12:20 PM 01-29-2011
Louisville/U. Conn going to 2 OTs . . . at least. Another final:

Georgetown 69 - Villanova 66 = A very good win for the Hoyas, and a loss that should drop 'Nova from the Top Ten.
[Reply]
The Poet 01:13 PM 01-29-2011
Well, the good new is the Tar Heels have a decent lead over N. C. State at the half, 34-21. The bad news is, it should really be a lot bigger, had they not missed so many layups and tip-ins, and had they gone better that 2-11 from the charity stripe. In other action:

Louisville 79 - U. Conn 78 (2OT) = A very nice one for Pitino's guys up in Storrs. So even if the Huskies remain at 5th in the nation, they now are at best 3rd in the Big Mouth.

Mississippi State 71 - Florida 64 = So far, it's not a good day for the Sunshine State. I can't say I am surprised that the Gators lost, seeing as how inconsistent they have played, but there's still not much of an excuse for losing to these 'Dawgs. Hey, they ain't terrible, but they are not all that good either.

Purdue 73 - Minnesota 61 = The Boilermakers are another of those teams you just can't figure out. Then again, it's not as if the Gophers have been knocking people's eyes out either.
[Reply]
JaKaacH 01:29 PM 01-29-2011
[Reply]
The Poet 01:59 PM 01-29-2011
More finals:

Baylor 70 - Colorado 66 = The Bears make a furious comeback to steal one from the Buffales, outscoring them 49-31 in the 2nd half. They really needed a good win like this.

Auburn 79 - South Carolina 64 = What? Are you kidding me? And in Columbia, no less! The Tigers purely suck, and the 'Cocks have been stiff competition all year. This one I just don't get, at all.
[Reply]
The Poet 02:01 PM 01-29-2011
Originally Posted by JaKaacH:
Nice ink. I'm not sure what Phog Allen would think about it, but I know what Dean Smith would say: "Cover up!" :-)
[Reply]
The Poet 02:10 PM 01-29-2011
Unless my Heels find some way to blow a 20+ point lead in the last 2 1/2 minutes, they will take one from the Wolfpack.
[Reply]
The Poet 02:19 PM 01-29-2011
UNC 84 - NCSU 64 = It has been a while, but Roy got a chance to clear the bench late in this game. Barnes finally had a decent game, scoring 25 points, while 3 other Heels scored in double-digits also. If this team ever truly finds its feet, this will be the problem opponents will face, because they have a lot of scoring options . . . when they can score at all.

Oh, and at 5-1 now, they are a half-game ahead of FSU, and a half-game behind idle (in league play, that is) Dook for the ACC lead.
[Reply]
The Poet 02:32 PM 01-29-2011
This one's a bit of a surprise:

Nebraska 57 - Texas A&M 48 = So what if the game was in Lincoln? The 'Huskers have been "meh" at best, while the Aggies have beed pretty good. I did not see this coming.

Oh, and Syracuse is having problems with Marquette, though with 13 minutes left there's still plenty of time for them to erase a 7-point deficit
[Reply]
The Poet 04:13 PM 01-31-2011
There was a ton of good action this weekend, and a good number of surprises also. Aside from those already noted above, this happened in the balance of Saturday games:

UCLA 73 - Arizona State 72 (OT) = This can be considered a surprise on several fronts. First, the Bruins have been playing better than the Sun Devils, so they maybe should not have had as much trouble with them as they did. And second, UCLA was still supposed to be a year or two away from competing in the Pac-10, yet with this victory they improve to 6-3, and are only a game back of leaders Arizona and Washington.

Marquette 76 - Syracuse 70 = It is no longer a shock that the Orange lost, as this is their 4th in a row. It is also no shock that Marquette beat them, as they have played well at times this year. What is surprising, however, is that this loss puts the 'Cuse in a 4-way tie for 7th place in the Big Mouth. Two weeks ago, who'd a thunk?

Kentucky 66 - Georgia 60 = And it is really no surprise that the Wildcats got some revenge for their earlier loss to the Bulldogs down in Athens. Yet when one considers that they are generally considered to be a Top 20 team, it is a bit odd that they managed only a 2-possession win in Rupp. Hey, it's still a good win, and better than a loss for sure, but still.

Marshall 85 - Memphis 70 = And although I have lost all faith that the young Tigers will ever get it together this season, this is one I'd not have guessed. OK, the Herd has played some good ball from time to time, and a close victory would not have been unforeseen. But this approaches a spanking.

New Mexico 86 - BYU 77 = So does this one. Again, I realize the Lobos have had some success, and for them to edge the traditionally overranked Cougars on their home court is no biggie. But a 3-possession win, when BYU has a shooter who can score 77 points himself ( :-) ) . . . well, let's just say I wouldn't have bet on this.

Ohio State 58 - Northwestern 57 = Here we have the second-biggest shock of the weekend. The Buckeyes dodge another bullet by getting a steal with 17 seconds left, then breaking a tie with the traditional dog of the Big Ten by hitting one from the line. They improve to 22-0, and even earned more than half of those victories. :-)

Penn State 56 - Wisconsin 52 = So maybe this is no longer a reason for surprise. Not only is this the Nittany Lions' 3rd win against a nationally-ranked conference opponent, but they lost 2 others, to OSU and Purdue, by a combined 4 points. However, this is the first time they have beaten the Badgers since 2003, which has to mean something anyway. Furthermore, if they can steal a few moe wins and get themselves a bid to the NCAAs, they will be one of those 10-seeds you do NOT want to face that first weekend.

Portland 85 - St. Mary's 70 = Earlier the Gaels gained a ranking, and grabbed control over the WCC race by beating Gonzaga. Well, they spat the bit here. OK, so they are still atop league play, but they have opened the door they just slammed shut a tiny crack here.

Pitt 65 - Rutgers 62 = This one is nearly as bad a win as was the Buckeye one above. There is no way the Scarlet Knights should have been a shot away from taking this game, and the Panthers are lucky they got out of Jersey alive. Hey, they wouldn't be the first!

UAB 74 - UCF 69 = Speaking of Knights, the Orlando Mickeys continue to plunge into the depths. I have no problem believing UAB beat them. Yet when a team wins 14 in a row, then goes on a 6-game losing streak, something is not right.

Arkansas 89 - Vanderbilt 78 = Once again, I've seen enough of Vandy's up-and-down play to understand how they could lose to the Hogs . . . who have themselves played a few good games. But to lose by 11, in Nashville no less? I thought these guys were smarter than that.

Wake Forest 76 - Virginia 71 = What's that? The Demon Deacons actually won an ACC game? Really? Wow. They are on a roll now, and look to improve on their 8-13 record. :-)

There were even a few puzzlers on Sunday, most notably:

St. John's 93 - Duke 78 = And if you saw this game, you know it wasn't even that close. The Blue Devils needed a flurry of late 3s to even get the final score up to "embarrassing". Last year's National Championship team was often described by experts as being "spectacularly unathletic", and from what I saw they are just as stunningly so this year. The Red Storm out-quicked and out-hustled them all game long, and totally deserved a great victory for them by dominating the game from tip to buzzer.

Washington State 87 - Washington 80 = Though not nearly the shocker as the one above, this one surprises me a bit too. Hey, I don't believe the Huskies are all that good, but I also don't think the Cougars are any damn good either. It is as good a win for them as the one for the Johnnies, and as a conference one, it is even more meaningful.

Michigan State 84 - Indiana 83 (OT) = In East Lansing, keep in mind. Now, the Hoosiers are not the worst team in the Big Ten, but they are pretty damned close. And although, as always, a win is better than is a loss, I would not be surprised if Tom Izzo is developing a serious drinking problem. If he pulls out any more of his hair, he might be drinking Rogaine.

Maryland 74 - Georgia Tech 63 = And what is possibly surprising about this one? Everybody knows the Terps are a fairly decent team, and the Jackets have struggled most of their games. Still, it is important to note that this is their first conference loss in Atlanta, so give them some props for holding serve up to now, and UM some for breaking it.

There is not a lot of top-class action scheduled for tonight, but still there are two big games for you:

Louisville vs. Georgetown = The Cardinals want to stay within reach of league-leading Pitt, while the Hoyas don't wish to drop to .500 in the conference. The teams, and the coaches, are fairly evenly matched, so I'd expect a tight one, start to finish, down in DC.

Texas vs. Texas A&M = And it is pretty much the same story down in College Station, although the Longhorns are 6-0 with the Aggies two back at 4-2 in Big 12 play. They'd better check their guns at the door for this war, pardner.

That's all for me until tomorrow, brothers. Enjoy.
[Reply]
jcruse64 04:20 PM 01-31-2011
Heh, heh....Duke.....
[Reply]
The Poet 04:31 PM 01-31-2011
Heh, heh....Duke.....
Your glee reminds me of that "Glee" quote from last season: "I hate Duke like I hate the Nazis". Boy, did THAT one p!$$ off Colonel Klink . . . uh, I mean, Coach K. :-)
[Reply]
The Poet 11:17 AM 02-01-2011
Well, that Texas/Texas A&M game was a disappointment, unless you're a diehard 'Horn. I had hoped for a better contest, but seems the Aggies didn't make it back to the barn. It's one thing to lose by 20 points. It's quite another when your opponent only scored 69, and you lose by 20 points.

Still, there were a few good games last night, including:

Georgetown 62 - Louisville 59 = Now that's more like it, although it was an ugly, ugly game for both teams. Poor shooting and turnovers were the most significant stats, and that's never a good thing. And the Hoyas tried to give the Cardinals another miracle come-fro-behind victory by blowing most of an 11-point lead to make it a game. But Pitino's gone to that well all too often lately, and it wasn't in the Cards last night. A badly-needed conference win for the Hoyas . . . who move into 7th place all by their lonesome. :-)

Fairfield 70 - Canisius 55 = OK, so this one wasn't nearly as close. However, it does get the Stags to 10-1 in MAAC play, with a full 2-game lead over St. Peter's, so that alone makes it notable.

Norfolk State 110 - Coppin State 108 (2OT) = And this one means nothing at all, as we are unlikely to hear about either of these teams come March . . . or as far as that goes, any other team from the Mid-Eastern Conference, for more than 20 minutes or so. So why not give them some press now? Both squads wanted to stay in contention for their league lead, and neither wanted to lose. Good show from them, and thanks for playing.

There are a decent number of meaningful games scheduled for tonight (I say "scheduled", as poor weather may cause some postponements), including:

Purdue vs. Wisconsin = At 7-2 in Big Ten play, it looks unlikely that the Boilermakers can take the top spot from 9-0 Ohio State unless the Buckeyes give them a lot of help. But they can go a long way towards securing the 2nd spot by giving the Badgers their 4th conference loss tonight, and thus drop them into a scrum for the 3-hole. It won't be easy. Wisconsin is a tough team to play even when they suck, and they don't suck this year. Plus, it's in Madison. Plus plus, Purdue ain't exactly been world-beaters so far, especially on offense. Luckily for them, you usually don't have to score a ton against the glacial Badgers, so maybe they have a slim edge there. Yet this one can go either way, and I expect a tight one.

Penn State vs. Illinois = Here are two of those Big Ten "scrum" teams mentioned above, with both of them having 4 league losses so far. It goes without saying that they don't want another tonight. These two teams seem to be heading in opposite directions. The Illini have dropped 4 or their last 5, and have dropped from national ranking also. On the surface, it might seem as though PSU is not much more successful, being a .500-team since the first of the year. Yet this includes a number of wins nobody expected them to get, and a number of razor-close losses to the teams atop the conference. If the Nittany Lions can make it to Champaign for the game, it may just be a good one.

Vanderbilt vs. Florida = Vandy is one of only two SEC teams presently ranked nationally, yet is mired in the middle of the East division with a 3-3 league record. The Gators have yo-yo'ed between good and crap all year (as has the Comms, to be fair), yet at 5-2 lead that same division over that other ranked team, UK (4-2). To be totally honest, I can't figure out either one of these teams. Flip a coin.

New Mexico vs. Air Force = The Lobos are coming off a huge win for them, beating BYU this past weekend. The Falcons, on the other hand, needed OT to edge the bottom-feeding TCU Horned Frogs by a point. Yet they are tied in Mountain West play with 3-4 records. Even though this one's in the Rockies and not the desert, I'd go with the Lobos.

Kentucky vs. Mississippi = The Wildcats travel down to Oxford to challenge the Rebels. I can't see it being much of one. Calipari is whining that his bench is paper-thin . . . as if he didn't ask for that by recruiting one-and-dones and semi-pros. Well, he should not need a bench against Ole Miss. Sure, they could possibly maybe somehow perhaps give them a game. I don't expect that, but stranger things have happened.

Baylor vs. Oklahoma = The Bears have been another of those inconsistent teams, following a good game with a poor one. The Sooners have been much more consistent . . . consistently bad, that is. Sure, they have one quality win over Colorado, but otherwise they have pretty much sucked, start to finish. If I had any faith in Baylor at all, I'd bet the farm on them tonight. But as I don't, I won't. I figure they will win, and maybe even big, but they have squirted games away before.

Kansas vs. Texas Tech = And here's the other big match . . . or should I say mis-match . . . in the Big 12 tonight. The Jayhawks take their 1-loss record down to Lubbock to take on the 11-11 Red Raiders. If KU gets their 2nd loss tonight, Bill Self should make the team walk back to Lawrence.

Wichita State vs. Indiana State = The Shockers want this bad, as a win would assure they will stay at worst tied for 1st place in the Missouri Valley. The Sycamores want it just a bad, as a win would keep them in contention, thus giving them some post-season hopes despite their 12-10 overall record. If the game is not iced over in Terre Haute tonight, it should be a real good one.

North Carolina vs. Boston College = This is a huge game for the Tar Heels, as a victory up in Chestnut Hill would tie them with Duke at 6-1 atop the ACC, and also drop BC to .500 at 4-4. A win would also build on the momentum, minimal though it be, which has crept them back into the rankings. But a win won't be easy. The Eagles have talent, and the home court, and have won the last few meetings with UNC. It might go down to the wire.

Wake Forest vs. Florida State = Speaking of momentum, the Demon Deacons got their 1st ACC win against Virginia Saturday, and are hungry for more. Meanwhile, the Semiholes took their 2nd conference loss against Clemson, scoring only a putrid 44 points in Littlejohn. Do I think the Deacs can deek their way to another league win down in Tallahassee tonight? No way in hell. But hey, I guess most anything is possible with the power of prayer, so "Go Deacs!"

That's it for now. Feel free to toss your own :-) in here, as it is worth as much as my ravings. Enjoy.
[Reply]
jcruse64 06:04 PM 02-01-2011
Well, the Cards/Hoyas game was a fight, for sure!

Duke....heh,heh... St. Johns did look pretty good there.

The Cats are being tested in Oxford, and the 2nd half is about to start...
[Reply]
The Poet 09:09 AM 02-02-2011
Well, the Cards/Hoyas game was a fight, for sure!

Duke....heh,heh... St. Johns did look pretty good there.

The Cats are being tested in Oxford, and the 2nd half is about to start...

1. You'd think Rick Pitino might have learned something from Rex Ryan's Jets . . . you can't pull them all out of your butt.

2. I'm old enough to remember when the Redmen (as they were called in pre-PC days past) were perennial powers. But when they improved their campus by building dormatories, they lost a huge NYC-area recruiting advantage, and fell on hard times. See, before they had on-campus housing, the NCAA rules let them provide "housing allowances" for the players, which meant they could legally give local players money to pay rent . . . even if they elected to live at home and commute as day-students. Since that time, they have not been able to lure as much local talent, and have fallen on hard times as a national power. Yet as far as I'm concerned, it is good to see them making some sort of comeback. I'm a bit of a traditionalist, meaning I like to see them win, and U. Conn lose 20 games a year. :-)

3. The 'Cats failed that test, as my update will explain. I'll be back later with that, and others.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 20
« First < 8910 1112 > Last »
Up