Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 10 of 62
« First < 8910 11122060 > Last »
General Discussion>(Official?) Pocket Knife Discussion Thread
longknocker 09:08 PM 11-16-2010
Originally Posted by Wolfgang:
:-) I think I just turned green with envy! Will trade photo lessons for knives
:-) I Think You Would Lose There, Brother! I Think I'm A Hopeless Case In The Photography Dept.:-)
[Reply]
Wolfgang 09:16 PM 11-16-2010
I can teach anyone. Give me a weekend. Im not a classroom teacher im a real world teacher we'll go on a weekend expedition to a park and Ill learn you real good.
[Reply]
Silound 10:40 PM 11-16-2010
Does anyone here own a Mad Dog Taiho (the original 9" model)? They're discontinued now as I understand it, and newer models are out.
[Reply]
TripleF 08:48 AM 11-17-2010
I can teach anyone. Give me a weekend. Im not a classroom teacher im a real world teacher we'll go on a weekend expedition to a park and Ill learn you real good.
I'm in......assuming your talking about educating me on knives...
[Reply]
Eleven 12:31 PM 11-17-2010
Anyone have recommendations for a decent Punch Knife? My daughter wants to get her Marine husband one for Xmas.
[Reply]
LostAbbott 03:33 PM 12-10-2010
If looks is the final factor thats up to you. But for less money you get a better blade steel CPM S30V opposed to the 154CM of the Protec. Im sure you'll be happy either way
You know I have been thinking about this and I really like the 154cm much better than any of the sv variants. I have one knife that is sv20 and another that is the 30. Both are hard as hell to get sharp and I would say don't hold an edge any better than the 154, which is just a little harder to sharpen than 440.

I got the Monaco and really like it. The only thing that bugs me is that the bolster black is different than the blade black, but I think that is due to the steel vs. aluminum. Will post up a picture is a bit.

-M
[Reply]
Bill86 03:45 PM 12-10-2010
Originally Posted by longknocker:
You Were Smart, Bill!:-) I Can't Seem To Part With Mine.:-)
IMO there is only 2 knives you NEED. A Hinderer XM-18 and a Strider SMF. Call it the beauty and the beast. However Knife buying is like cigar buying....none of us NEED half of what we have but we all justify it. I still will hunt for that elusive retardedly expensive XM-18. They are fantastic knives and if you can score them for $380-$415 or so it's a steal.

Originally Posted by Eleven:
Anyone have recommendations for a decent Punch Knife? My daughter wants to get her Marine husband one for Xmas.
Yes, I bought my brother a Benchmade punch knife, they are fantastic. Paracord wrap the handle and it's a great knife. There aren't too many punch knives out there, you could look at cold steel but there over the top marketing has me not buying their knives. More recently I gifted him a Microtech UTX-85. So far both knives are :-) :-).

Of course these are just my opinions and everyone else might not have the same opinion. Knives are definitely a preference.
[Reply]
LostAbbott 04:08 PM 12-10-2010
I figured since everyone is getting all fancy about their photography skills I ought to step up my game(seeing as how I call myself a professional and all that)

These are my three favorite fancy knives.
[Reply]
Whynot 04:14 PM 12-10-2010
Not really a punch knife, but I listed this several pages back. I have a couple and they have served me well on several deployments. http://www.hideawayknife.com/main.php
[Reply]
Bill86 05:11 PM 12-10-2010
Now that you mention HAKs....I think also a nice waved knife would be a good gift. Anything from Emerson, I also like the Tarani Karambit. I'm about to send mine out to get waved I'll post up a picture in a month or so. Basically you just pull the knife out of your pocket and it's blade is deployed in that one swift motion.
[Reply]
cigars_n_scotch 06:12 PM 12-10-2010
How many of you who daily carry a knife work in a white collar job? Or maybe the question is do any of you who are white collar workers carry a knife? The reason I ask is because I like knives but I find it hard to justify carrying one daily because of my job and the type of work that I do (there's really no need for one on a daily basis) I wear either a suit to work (if I'm meeting with clients) or slacks/khaki's and a button-down dress shirt. Most of the time I just leave it in my truck.

Sometimes I wish I did something more casual, but this pays the bills...
[Reply]
longknocker 06:18 PM 12-10-2010
Originally Posted by cigars_n_scotch:
How many of you who daily carry a knife work in a white collar job? Or maybe the question is do any of you who are white collar workers carry a knife? The reason I ask is because I like knives but I find it hard to justify carrying one daily because of my job and the type of work that I do (there's really no need for one on a daily basis) I wear either a suit to work (if I'm meeting with clients) or slacks/khaki's and a button-down dress shirt. Most of the time I just leave it in my truck.

Sometimes I wish I did something more casual, but this pays the bills...
I Carry One To Work Maybe 1/2 The Time To Open Boxes, Etc. I Always Carry A "Cheaper" Knife In Case I Lose It. :-)
[Reply]
Bill86 06:40 PM 12-10-2010
If you work in a white collar job just keep a nice folder with you. I use my knives to open packages and letters mostly. I don't work white collar jobs but no one is going to frown on you for carrying a knife. Get a nice CRK and people will find it quite classy. You can always remove the pocket clip and let a knife sit in your pockets. Attaching a paracord lanyard helps but it kinda loses the gentleman effect. I always have at least one knife on me, sometimes two.
[Reply]
Ranger_B 10:24 PM 12-10-2010
Might want to check out Tops. I have a couple of their knives and they work great here is one http://www.topsknives.com/product_in...products_id=78 .
[Reply]
nomadicwookie 10:32 AM 12-11-2010
Originally Posted by Whynot:
Not really a punch knife, but I listed this several pages back. I have a couple and they have served me well on several deployments. http://www.hideawayknife.com/main.php
Be cautious of hideawayknife.com. Front Sight has developed a very bad reputation with customers and virtually every knife maker they have collaborated with. I would recommend trying to find one on the secondary market. Just my:-)
[Reply]
Wolfgang 12:39 PM 12-11-2010

Im by no means a white collar guy, however, my father worked his way up through the banking ladder from delivery boy in 1950 to Sr VP in 2009. He always had a nice folder in his pocket. In my case I refer to this style as a Church knife. The picture attached would be a nice option with a good combination of form and function. (click the picture to go to the website for price)
[Reply]
Wolfgang 12:42 PM 12-11-2010
Originally Posted by LostAbbott:

These are my three favorite fancy knives.
I still call dibbs if that Kestrel comes up for sale. :-)
[Reply]
LostAbbott 01:14 PM 12-11-2010
I still call dibbs if that Kestrel comes up for sale. :-)
If I ever sell it, I will talk to you first.:-)
[Reply]
Hippi3Slay3r 07:31 AM 12-27-2010
Im not a huge knife guy but I do love me some Balisongs!

Christmas gift from my buddy (Benchmade 51 Morpho)
And the small but ready to grow collection
t2b
BM 51 Morpho, Bradley Kimura II, Bradley Kimura VII, Bradley Mayhem titanium

From what I understand the Bradley's are all made by other knife companys under the Bradley name, The Kimuras are made by Kershaw and the Mayhem by Benchmade.

~Kyle
[Reply]
Bill86 01:01 PM 12-27-2010
Nice balisongs :-) I've always wanted to try flipping one of those....someday.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 62
« First < 8910 11122060 > Last »
Up