Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 10 of 20
« First < 8910 1112 > Last »
Sports>College Hoops Thread 2011-2012
The Poet 12:48 PM 01-21-2012
We've already one final for today:

Temple 73 - Maryland 60 = Maybe not a great win for the Owls, but a decent one anyway, and another disappointing performance for the Terps.

Aside from that, only the Michigan State/Purdue game seems to be "over", with the Spartans holding a healthy lead. All the others are much too close to call, including Kentucky/Alabama in Lexington. I'll try to keep you advised.

Later action today is far too vast to cover properly, with many games looking to be good. I shall mention many, but not bore you with them all:

Michigan vs. Arkansas = Even if this wasn't in Fayetteville, I'd give the Hogs a shot. I have not been impressed with the Wolverines's scoring ability, though they could win a close one on the road. Should be interesting either way.

Missouri vs. Baylor = And this would have been more interesting had both still remained undefeated to this point. Still, with both at 17-1, you'd imagine this will be a war.

Georgia Tech vs. Clemson = So will this one, albeit for different reasons. The battle for the basement of the ACC has begun.

Belmont vs. South Carolina Upstate = I've been a bit disappointed so far with Belmont's play, as I expected them to continue to rule their roost. And the SCU Spartans should not provide a huge challenge, even in Spartenburg. But if the Bruins want to return to the NCAAs they need to get busy, soon.

Cincinnati vs. West Virginia = These two came into the season with differing expectations, with the Bearcats slipping somewhat and the Mountaineers climbing a lot. This conference game is huge for both.

Indiana State vs. Creighton = The Sycamores could maybe bring Bird back and have a good chance against the Bluejays, but without him I expect they'll just provide a comfortable nest for those indigo avians.

Florida State vs. Duke = The Seminoles finally had a great win last week . . . either that, or my Heels just sucked . . . but that was at home. A better indication as to whether or not they've turned things around to meet early predictions would be a win against the Blue Devils in Cameron today. I would not bet on it, but I wouldn't bet against it either. This will be interesting, one way or the other.

Kansas vs. Texas = So will this one, although the Jayhawks must be favored. The Longhorns do have 12 wins, but none of them can be called good ones. Perhaps their best performance was last week, in a "good loss" at K-State by 4 points. KU is the 'Horns 3rd ranked opponent in a row, and even a blind steer finds a haybale now and then. But I don't think that's gonna happen.

Oklahoma vs. Texas A&M = Remember when the Aggies were ranked? I do, even if they don't. These two meet today with identical 10-7 and 1-4 records, so you can expect both to be ready for a fight.

U Conn vs. Tennessee = The Huskies again risk leaving the Nutmeg State, and even though it's against the "meh" Volunteers they might regret that unfortunate decision to actually schedule a few road games. The Vols, despite their problems, are 7-3 in Knoxville, including a close loss to Memphis and a stunning win over the Gators. This one's worth keeping an eye on.

U Mass vs. Richmond = So is this one, as it pits two good mid-major programs against each other. Besides, I always keep an eye on Spiders.

Stanford vs. Washington = As happened last year, a logjam is forming atop the Pac-12. Cal holds an early 6-1 advantage, but these two here enter play with 5-2 & 4-2 resp't records. That alone tells you how important this game is, as is . . .

Arizona vs. Colorado = . . . because the Desert 'Cats and the Buffaloes have 4-2 league records themselves, and are part of that jam-up. So you know they both want this one.

Syracuse vs. Notre Dame = It's in South Bend, which gives the Irish that anyway. It may not be enough to squeeze the Orange, but you gotta know Boeheim's not gonna think that way. He knows he can't go without a loss all year, even if you don't. :-)

LSU vs. Florida = On the one hand, I don't give the Tigers much of a chance here. On the other, the Gators have managed to stink up the joint at times. Me, I can't see a contest here, but what do I know?

Marshall vs. Southern Mississippi = It seems that teams like these two almost always give us a good show, maybe because they know they can't skate into the NCAAs with a handful of at-large bids allocated for their league.

Kent State vs. Akron = Same story here, and two teams that have done pretty well so far.

Colorado State vs. Wyoming = And here again also.

California vs. Washington State = The Cougars are not part of that Pac-12 pack mentioned above, but if the Bears want to stay on top of the pile they can't afford to stumble up in Pullman tonight. For that reason alone, it's big.

Marquette vs. Providence = On the surface, this does not look to be much of a match-up, even in Rhode Island. But remember that the Friars did manage to edge Louisville recently, by a slim 90-59 margin. Anything can happen.

Mississippi State vs. Vanderbilt = The Commodores were, like those aforementioned Gators, subject to several early disappointing performances. However, they have won 8 in a row now, and maybe have finally found their game. And despite the Bulldogs higher ranking, they are 2-2 in the SEC, with Vandy 4-0. Besides, that funky floating court in Nashville is a baitch for many teams. This could be fun.

South Dakota State vs. North Dakota State = Yeah, nobody outside the Dakotas cares, one way or the other. But this one just hopped out at me. They are resp't. 15-5, 7-1 and 13-5, 6-2, so even though you don't give a damn you can bet your bottom dollar they do.

Ohio State vs. Nebraska = In Lincoln, as if that makes a difference. The only thing more shocking than a Buckeye loss today is the fact the Cornhuskers have actually won 2 Big Ten+ games already. Yeah, it could happen again . . . but not tonight.

ODU vs. VCU = So if you want to watch a close game in this timeslot, tune in this one instead.

Louisville vs. Pittsburgh = Or even this one, if those above are sucky by halftime. The Cardinals have had a crazy season, and the Panthers have been even nuttier. Hell, I never thought they'd come into this holding 2-4 and 0-6 Big East records, did you? But this does mean that neither can stand many more Ls, so figure both Pitino and Dixon will have their boys primed.

Murray State vs. SIU Edwardsville = And if Joe's Racers don't absolutely romp over the 5-11, 3-4 Cougars, even if it's on the road, then they should add a dishonorary loss onto their unblemished record just on general principles. :-)

Air Force vs. San Diego State = Quietly, or at least more quietly than last year, the Aztecs are building another great season. The Falcons could spoil that late tonight, as they can hoop and swoop a little, but I would not count on it. Still, it ought to be fun.

New Mexico vs. UNLV = So should this one, and even in Sin City I give the Lobos a decent chance at pulling down the Runnin' Rebels, or at the least nipping at their heels all night.

St. Mary's vs. Santa Clara = For no particular reasons I can name, I have grown to like both these teams over the years. Maybe it's because they play well, play clean, play tough opponents, and pretty much keep their yaps shut. The Gaels have the much-superior squad this year, but I don't expect the Broncos to simply roll over on their own court. They won't win, barring strange circumstances, but they will do their best to compete.

While typing all that garbage above, a few more finals came in:

Georgetown 52 - Rutgers 50 = The Hoyas avoid what might have been an embarrassing loss on their court, even if just barely. Meanwhile, the Scarlet Knights can't be too disappointed with another good showing, despite the loss.

Wake Forest 71 - Boston College 56 = Wow. Though I'm not surprised the Deacs won, seeing as how they've played better at times than was expected, such a spanking was unexpected. Hey, this was in Chestnut Hill, not Winston-Salem or Greensboro!

Michigan State 83 - Purdue 58 = Another somewhat surprising spanking, for much the same reason. True, it was in East Lansing, and the Spartans have been better than the Boilermakers. Still, a 25-point margin between these two is unusual.

Kentucky 77 - Alabama 71 = And there is nothing at all surprising about this one, at least to me. The Wildcats win at home, and the Tide gave them much more of a fight than they wanted. It's somewhat lucky for Calipari that his young team seems to have learned how to win the tight ones as opposed to lose them. I guess I could give the credit to Cal's coaching, but as I don't think he actually DOES any, I cannot bring myself to do so. :-)

Lunchtime, brothers. I'll try to get back later with some more early finals, and a look at Sunday games. Bye for now.
[Reply]
The Poet 02:10 PM 01-21-2012
A few more early finals for you now:

Dayton 87 - Xavier 72 = After winning 4 in a row, and giving some indication that they'd finally gotten back on track, the X-Men drop their 6th loss since the Bearcat Brawl to the Flyers.

Villanova 79 - St. John's 76 (OT) = Big East wins will be few and far between for both teams, so it's no wonder they fought so hard for this one. A good road victory for the Philly 'Cats, considering.

Memphis 63 - SMU 45 = Not a great showing by the Tigers, but an even worse one by the Schmoo.

In rather limited Sunday action, we will have:

N.C. State vs. Miami = I don't know how good Jerry's 'Pack is, but I do think they are better than these 'Canes. But can they travel, that's the question.

Penn State vs. Indiana = The Hoosiers have started to come back down to earth, yet are still gonna be tough in Bloomington. So, do I think that PSU can follow up their upset of the Illini with another one? No.

Wisconsin vs. Illinois = Speaking of the Illini, they will have a tough time trying to rebound from that loss in State College against the Badgers. True, the boys from Madison have not been all they were thought, but they are still a tough out. This might be the best game of the day. Speaking of Wisconsin . . .

Wisconsin-Milwaukee vs. Cleveland State = This one may be just as good, or even a little better.

South Florida vs. DePaul = Or maybe this one will be, since both teams are equally capable . . . or at times, incapable.

Virginia Tech vs. Virginia = Or maybe this one will be, if the Hokies can recover from that slapping around my Heels gave them in the second half the other evening. But as it is in Charlottesville, and as the Cavs have remained the surprise of the ACC so far (or at least the pleasant one :-) ), I'll go with them, by 4 possessions at least.

Northwestern vs. Minnesota = The Smarty 'Cats don't travel well. Yet prior to the 20-point whippin' they just took from those Badgers above, they did beat Michigan State, and lost to Michigan by only a deuce. As for the Gophers, they lost their first 4 conference games before winning the last two over Indiana and Penn State, so both teams enter this 2-4 in league play. Look for a good one here.

Drake vs. Northern Iowa = And this one's just another of those that jumped off the page and smacked me in the schnozz. Of course, considering its size, how could it miss? :-)

That's it from me for now. Until later then, enjoy.
[Reply]
jcruse64 05:06 PM 01-21-2012
Wow! FSU on an ACC romp! Sweet buzzer shot sinks dook at home, breaking their home court streak. Yeah, I'm cheering! :-)

UK juuust got by 'Bama, and I'm loving Davis more every game, and feeling cold over Jones more every game. Can't tell if the hand is still bothering him, or he's in a mood swing again.
Watching 'Cuse right now, and ND has pretty much had their way with them, at the half. I understand 'Cuse is without a couple of players this game.
Bearcats go down in a tough, last second loss.
Uconn has lost, what..3 or 4 out of the last 6?? UT showed up today.
Speaking of SEC, Michigan gets beat by Arkansas.
Pretty good game with KU vs Texas also.
Baylor loses again.

UL vs Pitt??? I'm going with Pitt on this one, the way the Cards have acted lately.

Go Racers!!!!!!!!
[Reply]
The Poet 04:09 PM 01-23-2012
Yeah, there was a lot of good action over the weekend, though many of the "upsets" were no huge surprise to me. Take for instance:

Notre Dame 67 - Syracuse 58 = I told you and I told you and I told you that once the Orange got out of the Dome and started playing teams who knew their zone they would lose. The margin may be a bit more than I'd have expected, but the result was inevitable. And don't think the Irish are exactly new at this sort of thing. Though it hasn't happened since 1987, this marks the 8th time they have knocked off the #1 team in the nation, moving them into a tie for 4th in that accomplishment. (P.S., FYI, North Carolina leads that group with 12 such wins. One might argue which mark is more impressive. On the one hand, though the Irish have a long and successful basketball history, they cannot be put into the same league as the top dozen or so traditional powers. This makes their #1 upsets remarkable in that way. However, while it is admittedly difficult to beat the top team in the country under such circumstances, it is absolutely impossible to beat the top team when you ARE the top team. As the Heels have found themselves in that position often, they've had that limitation to overcome. :-) )

Tennessee 60 - U Conn 57 = And if you think I'm shocked by this one, then you just haven't been paying any attention. True, the Vols have been pretty crappy. But I told you from Day One that the Huskies were OK at best, and much too highly regarded. Like Syracuse, their early success was largely based upon their dependence upon home court advantage, and their weaknesses would show up more readily on the road.

Florida State 76 - Duke 73 = And the only thing that might surprise me some here is that it was in Cameron, where Dook is hard to beat. Otherwise, I also said from Day One they would likely compete at a slightly lower level this season, and that FSU could challenge in the ACC with them and UNC.

Arkansas 66 - Michigan 64 = Here there's no surprise at all. What is the now, the 10th time the Logans have failed to break the 65-point ceiling? This ain't baseball here, so pitching can't keep you in it . . . you have to score the ball.

Missouri 89 - Baylor 88 = And though I'm no huge believer in the Tigers, I believed even less in the Bears. The only surprise here is that they lost by a single stinkin' point.

West Virginia 77 - Cincinnati 74 (OT) = And perhaps the surprise here is that the Bearcats managed to take it into extra innings.

Kansas 69 - Texas 66 = While here the surprise is that the 'Horns actually had a shot at this upset in Austin . . . which would actually have BEEN an upset, unlike those others.

Texas A&M 81 - Oklahoma 75 (OT) = I'm not sure there's anything of note here at all, but it was a fun game.

Washington State 77 - California 75 = OK, you want an upset? Well, here it is. Again, as last year, the jam for the Pac-12 has gotten jammier, as there are now 4 teams atop with 2 losses each.

Mississippi State 78 - Vanderbilt 77 (OT) = The Comms take a step backwards, and earned it. Hey, if you can't defend your home court, even when given a second chance in OT, you don't deserve the W.

Louisville 73 - Pittsburgh 62 = If you're looking for a surprise here, then it's in the continued collapse of the Panthers. Nobody, and I do mean NOBODY, thought they'd be 11-9, and 0-7 in Big East play. Pitt fails in the spring, not in the fall and winter.

Murray State 82 - SIU Edwardsville 65 = No surpirse at all to be found here, either in the result or in the fact that the cheese stands alone now. Joe's Racers remain as the only undefeated team left in Division 1 hoops, and I feel confident I told you somewhere up above they were the most likely candidate for that distinction. I do believe that, barring more injuries or something, they have a decent shot of going unbeated . . . until March, when somebody will hand them their lunch and point them towards the door. :-)

South Dakota State 91 - North Dakota State 88 (OT) = I threw this in because I still don't know why it jumped out at me on Saturday as looking to be a good one. Hell, like a broken clock, I'm right twice a day.

Sunday's games:

N. C. State 78 - Miami 73 = Joe's old boy Gottfried continues to take Jerry's 'Pack back towards the promised land. OK, a win over the 'Canes means little in itself, but take note that NCSU is presently tied atop the ACC with Dook and FSU at 4-1, and are a half-game ahead of my 3-1 Heels. That will likely chance come Thursday, when they visit Chapel Hill, but I reckon it's pretty sweet at the moment.

Indiana 73 - Penn State 54 = Though some may think the passing of JoePa was a negative factor here, a distraction for the Lions they could not overcome, I myself feel the Hoosiers would have taken this one in Bloomington regardless of the circumstances.

Wisconsin 67 - Illinois 63 = The Badgers hand the Illini another loss, and get a win they needed badly.

Virginia Tech 47 - Virginia 45 = This one is a tiny surprise for me, as I felt the Cavs would be able to win this in-state rivalry at home. But judging by the score, it was as much a case of the Cavs losing as the Hokies winning, so there's my out.

Tonight has only a few games of note:

Syracuse vs. Cincinnati = It is entirely possible that the 'Cuse will get their second loss tonight . . . but only if the Bearcats show up. As it is on their court, they have little excuse not to, but they seem to show up only about a third of the time, so who knows? I think it might be tight, but the Orange rebounds . . . for now, anyway. Still, keep an eye on it.

Belmont vs. East Tennessee State = The Belmont Bruins were supposed to walk away with the Atlantic Sun this year, as usual. But they've yet to gel, despite returning veterans, and as in the Pac-12 there's a mob at the top, with 5 teams at either 6-2 or 5-3 in league play. These are two of them, so this is big for both.

Texas A&M vs. Kansas = In Lawrence, so I wouldn't think the Jayhawks would have the problems with the Aggies they just had with the Longhorns in Austin. But now that I think about it more, the x-factor may be that those Aggies need to know that if they are going to make a move, they have to start now. But now that I think about it more more, it's as hard to beat KU in Allen Fieldhouse as it is to beat Dook in Cameron Indoor Sty-dium. But now that I think about it more more more, the Semiholes just did just that. Ahh, fug it all. Kansas by a dozen.

Later then. Enjoy.
[Reply]
jcruse64 07:00 PM 01-23-2012
Well, the Bearcats were playing 'Cuse pretty good, but now are down 6 with less than 1 minute.

The Cards surprised me; I really figured Pitt to try to make a turn there. Flat out stink this season.

Aggies against the Jayhawks up on the WWL next; hope the Aggies turn it on.
[Reply]
The Poet 04:08 PM 01-24-2012
Originally Posted by jcruse64:
Well, the Bearcats were playing 'Cuse pretty good, but now are down 6 with less than 1 minute.

The Cards surprised me; I really figured Pitt to try to make a turn there. Flat out stink this season.

Aggies against the Jayhawks up on the WWL next; hope the Aggies turn it on.

Syracuse 60 - Cincinnati 53 = Yeah, I thought it had a chance to be pretty close, though I also felt the Bearcats have been too inconsistent to actually get the W. The Orange bounce back from their first L, but it wasn't much of a statement for them.

Kansas 64 - Texas A&M 54 = And this wasn't all that big a statement for the Jayhawks either. I did not see the game, so have no idea if the Aggies turned it on or not, yet when you consider the problems they've had, it's not too terrible a loss in Lawrence.

And yes, Pitt has been the pits. :-) :-)

In limited action, here's the other few scores I note:

Belmont 82 - East Tennessee State 70 = A good win for the Bruins against a conference contender. The odd thing about this one is that it was a tale of two halves, for both squads. The score was 27-12 at the break, so 75% of the scoring was done in the second stanza . . . by both damn teams, not just collectively. What, did somebody take the lids off the buckets during while they were in the lockerrooms?

Siena 65 - Iona 62 = And this is notable to me because the experts told us before the season started that the Gaels would be the Butler this year, the mid-major who could kill the giants. OK, I guess it could happen, as they haven't stunk up the joint like, say, Pitt has done. But with this loss to the 9-10 and 4-5 Jaspers, they fall to 15-5 and 7-2 in the MAAC, which means they can't even dominate in their own league. As for me, I can easily see the Gaels going deep into the NCAA tournament. Yet those Gaels will be from St. Mary's, a continent away from Iona. :-)

There are a few games of interest tonight:

Tennessee vs. Vanderbilt = While the Commodores have been disappointing expectations, the Volunteers have at least managed to give their fans a pair of stunning "upsets" over highly-ranked teams. But those have been in Knoxville, while this one's down Mighty I-40 from Malfunction Junction into the Music City. Yeah, Vandy's been unable to defend home court. However, the Vols stink on the road. If the Comms don't win this one, they should just quit athletics and go back to class.

Michigan vs. Purdue = This could be a pretty close one. True, the Wolverines have gotten more attention and respect, and the Boilermakers are not as good as they've been recently. Yet I still don't like how the Logans score . . . or, more accurately, do NOT score. That alone could keep this tight.

Akron vs. Ball State = And this fight between the Zips and the Lettermens could be a good one too. They are fairly well matched, though Akron gets more press. As they also have a more-experienced program that's been there before, I'll give them a slim edge.

Baylor vs. Oklahoma = The Bears have now lost two games, both on the road and at home also. This one in Norman might be their third, if their confidence has been destroyed by these losses . . . which is entirely possible, especially in a program that's not really been there before. However, the Sooners are not exactly the best competition in the Big . . . uh, how many teams have stuck around out there? So though a Bear loss would not shock me, I would not bet on it.

South Florida vs. Marquette = So if you're looking for an upset, look at this. The Bulls have had a habit of knocking off teams, sneaking up on those who overlook them,and the Golden Eagles are primed for such an error. Marquette's always had a 'tude about them, going back at least to Al McGuire's time, and thus can be subject to hubris.

San Diego State vs. Wyoming = And to be honest, with all due respect for the Aztecs, they have begun to show some early signs of this disease themselves. Perhaps a little "come to Jesus" out in Laramie can cure them, or at least arrest the spread of the infection. :-)

Kentucky vs. Georgia = This game is in Athens, yet it takes no Delphic Oracle to predict the likely outcome. Yeah, true, the young 'Cats could always beat themselves on any given night, but the Bulldogs couldn't beat them to the concession stand, even on their home court.

Miami vs. Georgia Tech = Here's an early key game to decide the ACC race . . . for the cellar. There are presently 3 teams with only 1 conference win so far, and this is two of them. So, why bother? Well, it just my be a full-out war, for that reason alone.

That's what I got for you today. So until tomorrow then, enjoy.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:59 PM 01-25-2012
I can't really say any scores from last night were a surprise at all, and most were uninteresting blowouts, so I'll just note one of them:

Michigan 66 - Purdue 64 = Well, what do you know? The Wolverines not only win, but actually manage to break the 65-point barrier! Hey, they even could have won had they failed at that. :-)

There are a lot of good matchups this evening, but as many of them involve teams who are not likely to go far I'll limit myself to the potentially more significant ones:

Penn State vs. Ohio State = No offense intended, but the Nittany Lions will mourn another funeral, with this one in Columbus being much less sad, albeit no less expected, than the one in State College.

Villanova vs. Louisville = The young Philly 'Cats have struggled mightily to find themselves, and the Cardinals have had their problems at times also. Even if this wasn't in the KFC Yumi Crum Bucket, you'd have to favor L'ville here. But as their fans know too well, anything can happen with this team.

BYU vs. Virginia Tech = The Hokies scored a big win on the road against UVA, and could make a huge step towards turning around their season with a home victory over the Cougars. I give them a decent shot at it. Yet I'd put no money on it however.

Dayton vs. St. Joseph's = Who will take wing tonight, the Flyers or the Hawks? They both have pretty good teams, and this should be a fun one.

Providence vs. Pittsburgh = OK, I know I began by dismissing games involving teams going nowhere fast, but as these two are "prominent" programs fighting to stay out of the Big East basement (1-6 and 0-7 resp't.), I feel it is worth noting.

Saint Louis vs. Xavier = Much like that mid-major one above, here's two schools capable of winning a game, or maybe even two, in March. But they have to get there first, so this one's big.

Florida State vs. Wake Forest = The Semiholes are on a roll, and are likely to continue in Winston-Salem tonight. Although the Deacs have played better than they did last year, and even better than was expected of them, their chances are pretty slim. But anything can happen in conference play, as the Hokies showed the Cavs last week. Pencil in FSU, yet don't ink it yet.

Missouri vs. Oklahoma State = And here's another team that ought to romp on the road. I do not believe for a second that the Tigers are the 2nd best team in the country, but they are better than the Cowboys, in Stillwater or not.

UCF vs. Tulsa = And these two are going to fight tooth-and-nail for a win here. The Knights lead the CUSA by a half-game at 5-1, but the Golden Hurricane are at 4-2, and need this to stay in the hunt (along with Southern Miss, Memphis, and Marshall, all at 4-1). Yeah, it's still early, but you can't make up losses. It's in Tulsa, which might make this closer than UCF would wish.

LSU vs. Mississippi State = Though I'm not a big believer in the Bulldogs, I'm less of one in the Tigers. If you wanna keep half-an-eye on it for a while, go ahead, but don't look for it to be a contest in the last 10 minutes.

Minnesota vs. Michigan State = You might have a better shot here, though again I feel the Spartans will prevail over the Golden Gophers. It might be only by 2 or 3 possessions, however.

Kansas State vs. Texas Tech = And the Prairie 'Cats should be able to take the Red Raiders to the woodshed, even if they don't know where one is in Lubbock.

Duke vs. Maryland = As should the Blue Devils, who should make soup of the Terps in College Park. Yeah, I know Dook has weaknesses, but UM seems to have next to nothing.

UNLV vs. Boise State = Is the court in Boise gawd-awful blue too? Even if it isn't, it will be for the Runnin' Rebels if the Broncos can corral them. As they've lost 7 of their last 9, I can't see that happening, so figure UNLV paints Boise red.

Colorado State vs. New Mexico = The Lobos won 13 in a row, and figured to be a factor in the Mountain West. But as 2 of their first 3 conference games were against SDSU and UNLV, and as both were Ls, they presently find themselves mid-pack. Nor do the Rams look to be pushovers either. Still, I feel NM can get back on the winning track tonight in Albuquerque . . . if they don't make that famous wrong turn. :-)

That's my nonsense for today. Back later, brothers. Enjoy.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:48 PM 01-26-2012
I'm tired and worn out today, and my mind's all fuzzy. Despite some interesting results last night, and a few good one this evening, I guess I'd best wait until tomorrow to catch up on things.

:-)

But hell, nobody's stopping YOU from putting YOUR :-) in! :-)
[Reply]
jcruse64 05:56 PM 01-26-2012
My :-):

NC State better have something better in the bag than that last-second 80-footer, or the drive home will be tough.

I know it's on the road, but the Gators act like they've been hit by a Mack truck. Not too good.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:46 PM 01-27-2012
My :-):

NC State better have something better in the bag than that last-second 80-footer, or the drive home will be tough.

I know it's on the road, but the Gators act like they've been hit by a Mack truck. Not too good.

As for Jerry's Wolfpack, that 80-footer was the only thing they had to cheer about last night. And the drive back to Raleigh may have been tough, but it's at least short.

As for the Gators, they did manage to survive down in Oxford, even if they nearly got Faulknered. I'm not sure what that means, but it sounds cool anyway.

But before I get to last night's action any deeper, lemme tell you a few Wednesday scores of note:

Oklahoma State 79 - Missouri 72 = The biggest surprise of the night, for even though I felt the Tigers are not as good as the "experts" believe, I still felt they'd handle Oak State. Shows what I know too. :-)

Pittsburgh 86 - Providence 74 = Not a shock at all, as both teams have stunk, and somebody had to win. Yet it is notable for being Pitt's first conference win.

St. John's 78 - West Virginia 62 = So if you're looking for a shocker in the Big East, here it is. Yeah, the Red Storm has played pretty well from time to time, though not much recently. And the Mountaineers have over-achieved from expectations, so a loss is no huge stunner. Yet that margin, even in MSG, is fairly substancial.

Saint Louis 73 - Xavier 68 = The demise of the X-Men continues. They lose on their own court, still reaping the bad karma from that brawl with Cincy.

BYU 70 - Virginia Tech 68 = Though the Hokies cannot build upon their upset of UVA, they do give the Cougars one damn good fight. Considering, this may be a better loss for them than it is a win for BYU.

Duke 74 - Maryland 61 = I guess this is about what one would expect . . . a double-digit win over the Terps in College Park, being neither a stomping nor a nail-biter.

UNLV 77 - Boise State 72 (OT) = If the home team had managed to show up for that extra 5 minutes, the Broncos would have had a signature win. Still, a damn good game.

And last night, beginning with those already referenced by Joe and me:

North Carolina 74 - N. C. State 55 = The 'Pack came into Chapel Hill with a piece of the ACC lead, and left with their tails shaved. The win may not mean the Heels are now focused for the rest of the season, but perhaps the loss will help Gottfried get HIS boys focused on what they need to do . . . if it does not completely smash their confidence. But what should they have expected? They haven't won in the Smith Center in nearly a decade.

Florida 64 - Mississippi 60 = The Gators played their half-dozenth bad game of the year (at least), but did escape with a W. Tell me, does Billy Donovan have any hair left?

Nebraska 79 - Iowa 73 = Wow. The Cornhuskers not only win their 3rd Big Ten+ game, they actually do so on the road! Will wonders never cease?

Wisconsin-Milwaukee 53 - Butler 42 = If the score is any judge, this was a sloppy contest. But notable is the fact that the Bulldogs, national runner-up the past two years, fall to 12-10 . . . though at 6-4 can still be a factor in the Horizon race, IF they can win some games that is.

Wisconsin 57 - Indiana 50 = And the bloom is off in Bloomington, as the surprising Hoosiers have started to play down to their potential. Well, they've probably already had a better year than they expected to, and it's never too late to make adjustments. Meanwhile, the Badgers needed a "quality" win to bolster their sagging reps.

Virginia 66 - Boston College 49 = Plus, the Cavs needed one to rebound from that shocker against the Hokies. This one over the Eagles ain't it however, though it is better than another loss.

There's very few games this evening, and only two hold any interest to me at all:

Iona vs. Fairfield = For those not in the know, this match-up is usually a war. And even though the Gaels were supposed to dominate this year, they have not shown many signs of it. This alone makes it potential fun.

Harvard vs. Yale = Yeah, it's the Ivy, but one of the teams in the league will dance come March, and this game may be key. The Crimson was projected to win the conference, but they and the Eli are 2-0 early. And remember last year, when Harvard lost that one-game tie-breaking playoff to miss the NCAAs for the umpteenth-squared time. Every win and every loss, in a league with only one bid and no conference tournament, is huge.

If I get a chance, I'll look at the early Saturday games and get back to you. If not, I'll see you tomorrow. Whichever, enjoy.
[Reply]
The Poet 10:56 AM 01-28-2012
Those two games last night were pretty good, and horrible:

Iona 71 - Fairfield 62 = Not a total fight, but decent enough.

Harvard 65 - Yale 35 = And in New Haven, no less. The Eli had a lousy 1st half, scoring only 19, then followed with a worse 2nd with just 16 points. Sheesh.

Some early games today are already in progress:

Marquette vs. Villanova = The last time I looked, 'Nova was doubling-up on the Golden e
Eagles. If they can pull this off, it would be one of their best wins all year.

St. John's vs. Duke = And though it's in Cameron, the Johnnies hung tough . . . for a while. Now the Blue Devils are up by 11 or so, late in the 1st.

Wake Forest vs. Clemson = A tight battle so far, as they fight to stay away from the ACC cellar.

Other key early games:

Texas vs. Baylor = As it's in Waco, and as the 'Horns have been "meh" at best, you'd have to favor the Bears here. Still, I'd give UT a shot, if they had a better coach than Barnes. :-)

West Virginia vs Syracuse = This could be interesting. The Mountaineers have done much better than was expected, but were knocked off by St. John's in MSG earlier this week. That may have ticked them off. So even in the Dome you'd give them a chance. I'm far from sure they can do it, yet as I'm far from sure the Orange can handle adversity you should keep an eye on this one.

Mississippi State vs. Florida = If anybody's gonna challenge Kentucky in the SEC, it seems these are the most likely candidates. As both teams have been schizo, I'd toss a coin.

Arkansas vs. Alabama = The 'Hogs are better, but the Tide need any signature wins they can accumulate to keep alive their hopes for an at-large. Could be fun here.

Texas Tech vs. Missouri = And should be over by the half. Though I've little faith in the national ambitions of the Tigers, they are by far the better team here. Plus, you'd think they'd be ready for this one, after that upset at Oak State's hands.

I'll come back later with more games, plus some early finals. Bye for now.
[Reply]
The Poet 12:24 PM 01-28-2012
Still no big finals to announce, so lemme give some more Saturday games. I can't possibly name all the important ones, but here's my picks:

Valparaiso vs. Wisc. Milwaukee - Tied for 2nd in the Horizon, and only a 1/2-game back, this is huge for both teams.

Kansas vs. Iowa State = Yeah, it's in Ames, but the Cyclones have little chance against the Jayhawks, despite the fact they lost in Lawrence by a respectable 9-point margin. But KU has some weaknessess, so it's worth keeping track of for a while, just to see.

Saint Louis vs. U Mass = With 4-2 records they are in a 5-way tie atop the A-10, with Temple at 3-2 plus 5 others with only 3 losses each. If your math is poor, that's makes 11 teams vying for 1st place at the moment. Games don't get much bigger than this.

Virginia Tech vs. Maryland = And this is big only in that neither wants to end up in the basement of the ACC.

Wofford vs. Charleston = As Davidson seems to have total control for the southern division of the Southern Conference, one may wonder why I've selected these 2 wanna-bes. Well, Charlesto will be playing without famed head coach Bobby Cremins, who's announced he's leaving for the rest of the season (at least) due to health problems. That alone makes it notable.

Georgetown vs. Pittsburgh = For some odd reason I still keep expecting the Panthers to pull their heads out of their butts and play a good game against a quality opponent. They finally got off the snide and scored their first Big East win, and could at least regain a little dignity if they can take the young Hoyas. This could get interesting.

Colorado vs. UCLA = And I'm interested in this one because the Bruins, foreseen to be a power once again, are presently struggling to stay above .500. At 11-9 now, they need this one in LA, although not in Pauley (closed for renovations, in case you forgot).

Kentucky vs. LSU = As with KU above, there's no doubt UK's the better team. As stated about them before, the young Wildcats may beat themselves, but the Tigers aren't likely to beat them without such help.

St. Joseph's vs. Temple = Here's some more of that A-10 jam-up noted above, so it's just as big.

San Diego State vs. Colorado State = Again, I'll admit the Aztecs have the better team. But this is in Fort Collins, so they'd best have the oxygen ready, and be ready to play, or their flight back home will be awful quiet . . . except maybe for Steve Fisher. :-)

Oklahoma vs. Kansas State = In Manhattan, so you'd figure the 'Cats would have the advantage. I do too, but I do think the Sooners can give them some anxious moments before it's done.

Washington vs. Arizona = Much like the A-10, there are presently 1/2 the teams in the Pac-12 in the hunt for 1st place. Here's two of them, and both will fight tooth and nail for a win. Seeing as how both Huskies and Wildcats have teeth and nails, this should be tons of fun.

Virginia vs. N. C. State = Just as the Wolfpack started to gain some attention and confidence, they got spanked by my Heels. And just as the Cavaliers started to show they may actually be for real, they dropped one at home to putrid Va. Tech. My heart will go with the 'Pack in Raleigh, but my head leans slightly towards UVA. I think it will be close, regardless.

Louisville vs. Seton Hall = Depending upon which Cardinal team makes it to Newark today, this will either be a blowout or another shocking Pirates win. I've heard that The Rock is a terrible place for basketball, with sightlines that throw the shooters off. This could give the Hall a slight advantage, but will it be enough to offset the better talent on Pitino's bench? I'd vote nay, but what do I know?

Eastern Illinois vs. Murray State = Joe's Racers defend homecourt and remain undefeated. Take it to the bank.

Illinois vs. Minnesota = Even as mid-pack Big Ten+ teams, they have ability and experience, on the court and on the sidelines. This ought to be a blast.

St. Mary's vs. BYU = And this one in Provo ought to be so also. Me, I like the Gaels, yet I know the Cougars can hoop enough to give them game. Whoever wins will earn it, and I expect the margin to be slim.

We got a few finals while I was typing all that:

Duke 83 - St. John's 76 = The Red Storm stormed back to make a game out of it, but had dug themselves too far into a hole to steal this one in Durham. Really, it's about as much of a good loss for them as a bad win for the Blue Devils.

Clemson 71 - Wake Forest 60 = The Tigers don't exactly maul the Deacons, but they did give them a little come to Jesus.

Marquette has made a huge 2nd-half run to grab a tiny late lead over 'Nova, but there's a little time left. Meanwhile, both Texas and West Virginia are giving Kansas and Syracuse all they want, and then some.

Back after lunch for updates and Sunday games.
[Reply]
The Poet 02:09 PM 01-28-2012
Here's a feew more finals for you:

Syracuse 63 - West Virginia 61 = The Orange dodge a bullet in the Dome, and the Mountaineers either once again showed how they were underestimated, or how the 'Cuse is over-estimated.

Baylor 76 - Texas 71 = Another near-upset on a home-court, and again either a sign that the 'Horns are finding their game or that the Bears are not for real. Me, I'm going with the latter.

Florida 69 - Mississippi State 57 = The Gators did what they needed to do. They now have South Carolina and Vandy remaining as tune-ups before they travel to Lexington to face the Wildcats, hoping to do better against THIS top team than they've done previously.

Missouri 63 - Texas Tech 50 = No surprise here. Yeah, I may not be a big believer in Missou, but I don't believe in the Red Raiders at all.

Sunday games include:

Notre Dame vs. U. Conn = Hey, if WVU can give Syracuse fits in the Dome, the Irish can give the Huskies problems in Hartford. They have had better teams in the past, but this one did win at Louisville, then beat the Orange also.

Michigan vs. Ohio State = The only chance the Wolverines have to win in Columbus is if their defense can shut down the Buckeyes, because they can't outscore them. This one could get ugly, fast.

Providence vs. South Florida = It may be a pretty meaningless game in itself, but the teams are fairly close in ability, which may make it tight. Me, I think the Bulls can handle the Friars.

Georgia Tech vs. North Carolina = And I think the Tar Heels can handle the Yellow Jackets in Chapel Hill. Hell, I think the Heels can handle the Wreck in Atlanta, in Poland, on Mars. Stranger things have happened, but this should be a laffer.

Iowa vs. Indiana = The Hoosiers need to turn things back around, and this is a good chance for them in Bloomington. True, the Hawkeyes won't be a walk-over, and maybe Indiana has lost its mojo for good, but I see a home win by a few possessions here.

Stanford vs. Califorina = This Battle By The Bay is huge in the Pac-12 race. The Golden Bears are one of 4 teams on top at 6-2, and the Tree is tied with 'Zona just below at 5-3 in conference play. With some so-called experts already calling for the new-and-unimproved Pac-12 to get only ONE NCAA bid this year (?????WTF????), a win or a loss here or there becomes life-and-death.

That may be all for me until Monday, so I hope you have a good weekend, and enjoy.
[Reply]
The Poet 02:21 PM 01-28-2012
OK, this one just could not wait:

Iowa State 72 - Kansas 64 = A huge upset in Ames, and the best win the Cyclones have had in a looooong time. Yeah, I know I said the Jayhawks had weaknessess, but who'd a thunk Iowa State could take advantage of them? Not only will this knock KU down a notch nationally, it puts the entire Big 12 Minus 2 conference race in flux. Well, not the ENTIRE league, to be honest, as no team aside from Baylor in the states of Texas or Oklahoma have a snowball's chance, but still.
[Reply]
jcruse64 06:55 PM 01-29-2012
I was shocked over the KU loss, as well. Did not look for that kind of an upset.

We were on the road, and I've yet to see a replay; was WV robbed by the refs??? Coach Huggins says that last block was goal tending.

Racers win!!! Very fun to see the big crowds. We'll have a good game against SEMO Thursday.

VERY shocked by the Hoyas loss! Who knew?!?!?!?!?
[Reply]
mase 07:49 PM 01-29-2012
Another wild weekend. The Hoyas have looked quite shaky of late. Not shooting well at all. Hope they turn it around.
[Reply]
The Poet 04:15 PM 01-30-2012
I was shocked over the KU loss, as well. Did not look for that kind of an upset.

We were on the road, and I've yet to see a replay; was WV robbed by the refs??? Coach Huggins says that last block was goal tending.

Racers win!!! Very fun to see the big crowds. We'll have a good game against SEMO Thursday.

VERY shocked by the Hoyas loss! Who knew?!?!?!?!?
Yeah, I did not see that Jayhawks loss coming, but this was nearly one of those weekends all the way 'round.

As for 'Cuse/WVA, I did not see it either, but according to most reports it was a goaltend. Hey, $#!+ happens, and besides that the Mountaineers have nobody to blame but themselves. After the Orange took the lead, WVA had 4 shots in the last 88 seconds to tie or win, including the last one after SU turned the ball over with 6 seconds left. You may not be happy with the ref, but you can't put the fault on him when your own players fail to respond.

Racers? Who dey? :-)

As for Georgetown . . .

Originally Posted by mase:
Another wild weekend. The Hoyas have looked quite shaky of late. Not shooting well at all. Hope they turn it around.
Like he said. Besides . . .

Pittsburgh 72 - Georgetown 60 = I believe I said something about the Panthers not being nearly as bad as their record, and that they HAD to eventually play a good game or three somewhere along the line. Told ya so. That's why I'm not all that surprised. So look elsewhere for your shocks, like maybe . . .

Colorado State 77 - San Diego State 60 = Or maybe not. I foresaw the Aztecs maybe having problems here, though I admit I did not expect such a relative blow-out.

Samford 77 - Davidson 74 = Yeah, nobody cares much about the Southern Conference, but this one's a real stunner. While the Wildcats were rolling through the southern division, Samford now "improves" to 7-13 and 4-5 in the putrid northern division, which is led at 6-4 by perennial basketball powerhouse UNC . . . Greensboro. Hey, isn't that a girl's school? :-)

Rutgers 61 - Cincinnati 54 = To be honest, I can't figure either of these two out. The Scarlet Knights beat people they're supposed to lose to, then lose to ones they ought to beat. Meanwhile, the Bearcats pulled themselves off the mats after getting beaten (in more ways than one) at that brawl with Xavier, and proceeded to win 7 in a row. Since that run, however, they've lost 4 of 7, but 2 of those wins were AT Goorgetown and AT U. Conn. If you know what's going on, please tell me.

Oklahoma 63 - Kansas State 60 = Considering this was in Manhattan, it is surely as big an upset as that KU loss, and adds up to a lost weekend for the state of Kansas. As a further example . . .

Drake 93 - Wichita State 86 (3OT) = Not merely an upset, but a heartbreaker to boot.

Virginia 61 - N. C. State 60 = A good, if low-scoring, contest by two ACC teams fighting to remain in contention . . . for 4th place in the league, at least, and for an at-large. I'm not sure how good a win it is, but it is definitely a loss that stings for Jerry's 'Pack.

Minnesota 77 - Illinois 72 (OT) = Much like the one above, a key conference win for the Gophers, and a painful loss for the Illini.

Murray State 73 - Bradley 59 = No shock here, and only mentioned to keep Joe happy. :-)

UNLV 65 - Air Force 63 (OT) = Another of those almost-stunners we had this weekend. Yeah, the Falcons aren't total crap, and they were at home, but still.

On Sunday we saw:

Notre Dame 50 - U. Conn 48 = If you want to be shocked that the Irish beat the Huskies in Hartford, OK. If you want to be shocked that the Huskies did not break 50 points, OK too. But if you're shocked they lost, I urge you to go back to Page 1, Post 1 of this thread, where I flat-out told you not to expect much from the defending national champions this year.

Ohio State 64 - Michigan 49 = Like the Wolverines so far this year, the Buckeyes were unable to score more than 65 points in this contest. And like those Huskies above, the Logans could not manage to break 50. I guess it's a good win for OSU, but even for a Big Ten+ game it was pretty ugly.

South Florida 81 - Providence 78 = This game meant much less than the ones above, but not only was it better played, it was also about what I predicted. Send your checks to my snaily. :-)

North Carolina 93 - Georgia Tech 81 = Did I not know that this game was not NEARLY as close as the final score, and that Roy took the foot off the pedal and played everybody but the mascot before it was done, I'd be a bit disappointed by the relatively narrow margin of victory. Fact is, the Jackets were done before they got their jackets off, and the Heels were hitting threes like it was practice.

Indiana 103 - Iowa 89 = A badly-needed win for the stumbling Hoosiers, but one thing bothers me. Yeah, I don't much like those 50-48 finals, yet I can remember when they actually played some defense in Bloomington. NBA-type scores in a Big Ten game is odd.

There are only a few games tonight, but some have significance:

Pittsburgh vs. West Virginia = The Panthers are coming off a rare conference win, and hope they are finally finding themselves. The Mountaineers are coming off a heartbreaking loss, where they feel they were robbed. This one ought to be a blast.

Princeton vs. Penn = If the Tigers want to get to the NCAAs, they need to keep pace with Harvard, Penn, Yale, and Cornell. Also, every team in the Ivy has played 4 league games already save these two, who've only had a pair apiece. The Quakers are 2-0, and Princeton 1-1. Remember, whoever wins the Ivy regular season dances, and everybody else preps for finals.

Mercer vs. Florida Gulf Coast = WTF? Why would I mention this one? Well, the Mercer Bears are tied at 8-2 with Belmont atop the Atlantic Sun, while the Eagles aren't totally dead yet at 6-4. And when you couple this game with . . .

Belmont vs. North Florida = . . . this one, with those Music City Bruins hosting the 5-5 Ospreys, you can see why this one's big, at least for those involved.

Austin-Peay vs. Tennessee State = As would this one be big also for the Governors and Tigers, who are tied at 6-4 in the OVC . . . were it not for Joe's Racers, who've spoiled all the fun with their 9-0 mark.

Missouri vs. Texas = Yes, the Longhorns have started to play a little better, even getting close to knocking off Baylor. Yes, the game is in Austin, where they've only lost twice this year. Yes, including that Baylor game Saturday they have 5 losses of 5 points or less. And yes, the Missouri Tigers are one of those teams I've said is NOT as good as their record. But does any of this mean the 'Horns can hook 'em tonight? Actually, yes. I wouldn't bet on it, but that may be due to the fact I cannot abide Rick Barnes.

So that's it for today, folks. Enjoy.
[Reply]
jcruse64 06:00 PM 01-30-2012
So far, Pitt is giving the Mountaineers a good game, and have it at the half. Could be a good 2 here.

Yeah, you DID call on Uconn, and I don't see anyone coming in to fill Walker's shoes this time to push them through the end. Digger's giving them down the road on The World-Wide Leader as I type.

I hear ya on the Bearcats. I bet Cronin is frustrated; just don't know for sure what team is going out on the floor, from game to game.

I just saw that Murray has drawn #18 St. Mary's for the Bracket Buster game. This will hopefully be a great test for the Racers, and one that they pass with racing colors going into the end of the season and preparing for tourney time.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:45 PM 01-31-2012
So far, Pitt is giving the Mountaineers a good game, and have it at the half. Could be a good 2 here.

Yeah, you DID call on Uconn, and I don't see anyone coming in to fill Walker's shoes this time to push them through the end. Digger's giving them down the road on The World-Wide Leader as I type.

I hear ya on the Bearcats. I bet Cronin is frustrated; just don't know for sure what team is going out on the floor, from game to game.

I just saw that Murray has drawn #18 St. Mary's for the Bracket Buster game. This will hopefully be a great test for the Racers, and one that they pass with racing colors going into the end of the season and preparing for tourney time.

It is too early to feel the Panthers and the Mountaineers are heading in opposite directions, but it is true Pitt's winning streak is preferable to WVA's losing one. :-)

Don't give me too much credit on calling the Huskies. With all due respect for U. Conn's 2010 championship, and the amazing post-season Kemba Walker produced for them, that trophy was as huge an upset as was NCSU's 1983 run by Valvano's Cardiac Kids. The odds of that happening again, even WITH Walker, were astronomical. Without, it's cosmological.

Cronin may take some comfort in the fact that his is not the only team that's been all over the place this year. :-)

It's news to me that your Racers drew the Gaels. Not only should that be a tremendous game, it looks to be the major stumbling block remaining for that undefeated regular season MSU is persuing. I shall look forward to the contest, but maybe you shouldn't. :-)

Last night's most important scores:

Pittsburgh 72 - West Virgina 66 = As referenced above, it's another good win for a Pitt team that's had too few, and another hertbreaker for the Mountaineers . . . this one at home.

Penn 82 - Princeton 67 = It's no surprise the Quakers won in the venerable Palestra, but the size of that margin is a bit of one. As I've noted several times already, these regular-season conference games in the Ivy are key.

Missouri 67 - Texas 66 = Did you think I was nutz when I gave the 'Horns a shot at hooking these Tigers? Well, I am nutz, admittedly, but still UT came within that shot of doing precisely that.

There are not a lot of games this evening, yet a fair number involve big names:

Clemson vs. Virginia = The Tigers visit Charlottesville, where the Cavs have already been upset by the VT Hokies. As Clemson's about on the same level, they too could pull one off. Yet I feel UVA is not only superior but has also learned a valued lesson, and shall defend their home court.

Michigan State vs. Illinois = The Illini started off better than projected, but have struggled lately, losing 6 of their last 11 and 3 in a row. Me, I think that will extend to 4 in Champaign tonight, as Izzo tries to get his Spartans into a tie with the Buckeyes atop the big Ten+.

Tennessee vs. Kentucky = Do I think the Volunteers can beat the Wildcats in Rupp? I've already confessed to being nutz, but I'm not that crazy.

Wisconsin vs. Penn State = And even though the Nittany Lions upset a few people in State College both this year and last (and even though the distractions of the Paterno/Sandusky stories are presumably lessened), I can't reasonably expect them to take the Badgers.

Seton Hall vs. Marquette = And even though the Pirates have had a few good wins, and the Golden Eagles a few bad losses, I can't call for an upset here either.

Kansas State vs. Iowa State = So if you're looking for that possible upset, look here. The Wildcats dropped one to a "meh" Sooner squad in Manhattan, and one day after the Cyclones stormed the court in Ames following an upset of the Jayhawks. Can they make it 2 in a row there? Yes. Will they? Ehhh, maybe. It's worth keeping an eye on anyway.

Vanderbilt vs. Arkansas = As is this one in Fayetteville. The Commodores have been inconsistent, both at home an on the road, and the 'Hogs have found an acorn here and there this year. This could be a good one.

North Carolina vs. Wake Forest = And this one could be an ugly one. I don't care if it's Winston-Salem or not, the Demon Deacons do not have the personnel to compete with the Tar Heels. They have lost 6 or their last 8 games, and will in all likelyhood fall to .500 for the season this evening. Again, weird things happen, but if so it will not be a case of the Deacs beating the Heels, but rather the Heels beating themselves.

So that's it for tonight. See you later, and enjoy.
[Reply]
The Poet 04:05 PM 02-01-2012
It was a night of ugly, ugly basketball to end the month of January:

Illinois 42 - Michigan State 41 = Perhaps I let my respect for Tom Izzo, or my desire for the Spartans to tie the Buckeyes atop the league, cloud my judgement on this one. I did not expect this loss, even on the road, and I certainly did not expect the football score. My only excuse is that I did say previously that I felt both the Spartans and the IU Hoosiers had climbed about as high as they could reasonabley go, so slippage should be no surprise.

Virginia 65 - Clemson 61 = Despite the unexpected success of the Cavaliers so far, I find it a bit surprising they had so much trouble with a "meh" Clemson squad in Charlottesville.

Wisconsin 52 - Penn State 46 = And though this low-scoring affair is a little more forgivable, considering the Badgers are renowned for their glacial style, such a close one facing the Lions is somewhat disturbing.

North Carolina 68 - Wake Forest 53 = Though never in any real danger, due to their dominance of the boards with subsequent stick-backs, and a ability for scoring off TOs while not allowing the Deacs to do the same, the Heels had a horrible shooting night. Still, anytime Wake made a run, UNC answered with a bigger one, and avoided an upset with relative ease.

Iowa State 72 - Kansas State 70 = The giant-killing Cyclones strike again, and send the 'Cats back to Manhattan with their fuzzy tails tucked. Or if not, rest assured Frank Martin's tucked them good today already.

Arkansas 82 - Vanderbilt 74 = Like a number or touted teams this season, the Commodores continue to shock me with their inability to find any rhythm with their game.

Tonight's key games include:

Indiana vs. Michigan = Both of these have had better seasons than was initially thought, especially the Hoosiers. Both are in line to earn at-large bids in March, yet both would be well-served to win some more games to help insure that fate. It behooves both to win this game, yet as that's not possible I do expect a war.

Davidson vs. Furman = The Queen City 'Cats seem well in control of their division of the Southern Conference, but need to recoup from that stunning loss to crappy Samford. If that did not get their attention, then give Furman a chance here.

Geroge Mason vs. Delaware = GM is not so much in control of the CAC, though they do lead with a 10-1 league record. But there are 3 others at 9-2, so every conference game becomes huge. Also, one of those teams at 9-2 is . . .

VCU vs. William & Mary = As little chance I give Delaware to take George Mason in that one, I give W&M even less against VCU. There may be no change atop the CAC tonight, but the pressure shall remain.

U. Conn vs. Georgetown = Aside from the conference importance, we have here two teams that have seemingly hit the wall. They both need to earn a few more wins, and neither can take many more losses. This one in DC is also huge.

Gerogia Tech vs. Florida State = This one, not so much. The Wreck would need the 'Noles to wreck in order to have any reasonable chance here, and I can't see that happening. As for FSU, they have the easiest road left in the ACC regular season, with their biggest tests being home-and-home with UVA and a hosting of Duke (they do NOT face UNC in Chapel Hill this year). The Semiholes may stumble somewhere along the way, like they did early in the season, but it won't be tonight.

N. C. State vs. Boston College = Jerry's Wolfpack is well on its way to earning their own at-large bid, but need 3 or 4 more wins to get a firmer grasp on that brass ring. They have an excellent shot at grabbing one against the Eagles in Chestnut Hill this evening. Two more Ws may come against Wake and the Wreck following this contest, but as it gets tougher afterwards (@ Dook, FSU, UNC all in a row) they'd best get some while they can.

Memphis vs. Southern Mississippi = The Tigers and the Golden Eagles are tied atop the CUSA at 6-1, with Tulsa 1/2-game back at 6-2. 'Nuff said?

Oklahoma vs. Kansas = The Sooners are coming off a good upset over K-State in Manhattan, while the Jayhawks had an equalling bad loss to Iowa State in Ames. This is in Lawrence, so you'd have to give KU an edge. Allen Fieldhouse is a baitch for visitors. Still, if OU can beat the 'Cats on the road, you at least need to keep an eye out here to see what develops.

Baylor vs. Texas A&M = Though I never did much believe in the Aggies, still I thought that (like Pitt) they might actually show up some night and play a good game. As I don't believe all that much in the Bears either, tonight would be as good a night as any. It is in College Station, which may be worth a bucket or three for the Aggies. Will that be enough? Ehhh, mebbe.

Colorado State vs. UNLV = The Rams just beat the SDSU Aztecs, but that was at altitude. Can they hobble the Runnin' Rebels in the desert? Again, mebbe, but I'd check the odds in Vegas before I placed any bets on it.

That's my picks for this first day of February. Until later then, enjoy.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 20
« First < 8910 1112 > Last »
Up