Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 10 of 11
« First < 8910 11 >
All Cigar Discussion>DBall's Newb Blind Taste Test #4
DBall 10:36 AM 02-10-2011
...only 1 cigar left in this the fourth, and final, Newb Blind Taste Test! :-)
[Reply]
DennisP 10:41 AM 02-10-2011
Originally Posted by DBall:
Booooo :-)
[Reply]
CRIMPS 10:43 AM 02-10-2011
Sad :-)

I love reading these things. Participating has been a blast.
[Reply]
DBall 11:54 AM 02-10-2011
Fact is, one guy didn't finish the first one because he got banned for screwing people over and someone bailed out midway through this one here. That's kinda daunting. I'm pondering one more, but leaning on the 'not gonna happen' side of the fence at this point.

Maybe I'll pick it back up at some later date... hahaha... perhaps this is just a needed break. :-)
[Reply]
jdawg 12:09 PM 02-10-2011
Fact is, one guy didn't finish the first one because he got banned for screwing people over and someone bailed out midway through this one here. That's kinda daunting. I'm pondering one more, but leaning on the 'not gonna happen' side of the fence at this point.

Maybe I'll pick it back up at some later date... hahaha... perhaps this is just a needed break. :-)
That's sad to hear. Hopefully, you continue it on someday. It's been a joy to read.
[Reply]
DennisP 12:13 PM 02-10-2011

Maybe a not-so-new blind taste? Get some people that are a little more established here? Personally I'm more interested in the reviews than just a newbie's opinion.

No matter what you choose, they've been great and you're very generous!
[Reply]
hscmit 12:15 PM 02-10-2011
Originally Posted by DennisP:
Maybe a not-so-new blind taste? Get some people that are a little more established here? Personally I'm more interested in the reviews than just a newbie's opinion.

No matter what you choose, they've been great and you're very generous!
+1
I have really enjoyed reading all these reviews

thank you for the time effort and generosity you have put into making this a very good thread.
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 01:25 PM 02-10-2011
Dennis, just tell Dan how you really feel... Dan, Dennis wants to be the next person to do the blind tasting!! :-):-)

I really enjoy reading this, and maybe I'll pick this up if you stop, Dan. But thanks for the good reads.
[Reply]
DennisP 01:37 PM 02-10-2011
Originally Posted by Adriftpanda:
Dennis, just tell Dan how you really feel... Dan, Dennis wants to be the next person to do the blind tasting!! :-):-)

I really enjoy reading this, and maybe I'll pick this up if you stop, Dan. But thanks for the good reads.
Ha! I don't have enough time nor very good writing skills. I just like reading them.
[Reply]
CRIMPS 01:48 PM 02-10-2011
Originally Posted by Adriftpanda:
That would be awesome, Huy! I would love to be able to host this, someday. Someday...
[Reply]
wayner123 02:10 PM 02-10-2011
Why don't you all check out the Blind Taste Test thread on here?

There are a lot of reviews and that thread can always use more!!
[Reply]
Samsquanch 09:44 AM 02-11-2011
Dan, you've been awesome hosting these four taste tests. That's 80 cigars out of your own collection you've shipped, that's amazing! Thanks again for the opportunity and sorry again for being so lame with it. You're the man!
[Reply]
CRIMPS 09:31 AM 02-17-2011
Review of #10 inbound shortly :-)
[Reply]
Brutus2600 10:01 AM 02-17-2011
Looking forward to seeing #10!
[Reply]
CoreyD 12:57 PM 02-17-2011
What about us active newbs that havn't bailed. Its a shame to see your generosity get stompled.
[Reply]
CRIMPS 08:19 PM 02-17-2011
#10 delivered. Bittersweet feeling. :-)
[Reply]
DBall 07:06 AM 02-18-2011
jonumberone Cigar #10

Last day before I leave on Vacation, time to wrap this up and polish off #10

Initial Thoughts
Again I am without my ring gauge guide, but my best guess is 6X40.
The size reminds me of a #2 pencil. The stick has a smooth wrapper with few Veins.
Quick squeeze from head to foot and I don’t find anything out of the ordinary.
The stick has a mild aroma. I cut the cap and find the pre light draw to be perfect.
The flavors before I light remind me of unsweetened tea .

First Third
Right off the bat I am finding this smoke to be very mild. The prominent flavor is tea.
I go to my nose and get a lot more burn than I was expecting.
The stick has a lingering aftertaste that is pinching the sides of my tongue.

Second Third
The flavor has gotten very nutty. The pinch in the side of my tongue has spread to the roof of my mouth and the back of my throat.
This stick is getting stronger as I go.
A bit further down and I get a woodsy taste.
I try my nose and through the burn I get graham cracker.

Final third
The stick is really gaining momentum with every puff. In this last third it has made a move towards bitter.
I try a purge and it helps for a puff or two.
I’m letting it rest between puffs but it does little to improve the taste.
The only discernable flavor at this point is cedar. Almost to the nub and my mouth is burning just as much as my nose.

Final thoughts
I have to say this was the most surprising of the sticks that Dan sent.
I really thought when I started that the smoke was going to leave me wanting more.
Instead it gradually increased to an ass whoopin’.
I am a little bummed about the final third not delivering in the flavor department, but I imagine this will be remedied with some time.
I also was surprised by how much I liked the size. This is a small cigar compared to what I usually smoke.
Since I started this my preference in size has been shrinking.
Burn was perfect with no relights.

Final score 7.5/10
Smoke time 1hr 10 min
[Reply]
DBall 07:07 AM 02-18-2011
CRIMPS Cigar #10

This stick looks to be about 6x38 lancero or petite corona. The cigar has just a little bit of a bend to it (possibly due to shipping?). While the kid in me wants to bend the cigar back to straight, I fight the urge as to not destroy the cigar altogether. The bend is obviously not hurting anything and adds some character I think.

Pre-light

Putting my nose to the wrapper, I get a very faint smell of hay, but not much else. The wrapper has some tooth and raised veins. The construction seems to be solid. I cut the cap with ease. I take a draw, again getting just a little hay and not much else. The draw is a little tight, but manageable.

First Third

I put the flame to the foot. My initial taste is very grassy. A few puffs later and the cigar seems to wake up. I get some spice and a shot of chocolate. Very dry. After a few more puffs it seems the spice turns into more of a cinnamon, something i am not used to, but am enjoying. The cigar produces adequate smoke, but I expect maybe a little more smoke with how fast the cigar seems to be smoking.

Second Third

Unfortunately, the cinnamon is already fading and has been exchanged with an earthiness. The chocolate is no longer noticeable either. For my palate, this is rather common, though. The cinnamon has transitioned back into a dull spice. I take a full puff and wait for a solid minute or so to focus on the aftertaste. Mostly, i just get earth and spice, but this fades and there is very little to report. The cigar is smoking straight and the ash seems to hold for over an inch, which I am impressed with due to the ring gauge of the cigar.

Last Third

Not much has changed. I still taste earth and spice. I miss the cinnamon, I was really digging that. The earthiness seems to be a little overwhelming and almost sour. This just isn’t doing it for me. I think if this had been any other cigar, I would have probably let her go and either light something else up or call it a night. However, as one of the last of DBall’s Legion of Newb Blind Taste Testers, it is my duty to see this cigar burn to the end. I finish the cigar after smoking for about 50 minutes or so.

Final Thoughts

I honestly expected more from this smoke, based off the initial half inch. In my VERY inexperienced opinion this cigar just didn’t seem ready yet. It seemed like there was some age on this stick, if I was judging from the dryness and lack of any oil on the tongue. So, I don’t know if this is something that a little more age would remedy. The strength was mild to maybe medium and the flavor was medium.

Of the four reviews I will have posted, I think I am curious to see an experienced smoker’s point of view.

Final Rating: 5/10
[Reply]
DBall 07:16 AM 02-18-2011
What they smoked:

1997 La Gloria Cubana MdO #4

jonumberone score: 7.5

CRIMPS score: 5

Wow... I couldn't be more surprised... I thought this would be a much bigger hit. This is a 13+ year old habano... what's more, it's an LGC... hahaha. These 97's have always treated me well.

That said, everybody differs is what they like in a cigar... without a band, there's no expectations. That's why I love these BTTs.

I'm heading out on a cruise in about 3 hours and will be back the 26th... I'll think about doing another one while I'm gone.

Thanks for playing (and watching)!
[Reply]
jesseboston81 07:23 AM 02-18-2011
It's sad to see this thread end. I've enjoyed reading all of them! Thanks to Dan and the reviewers for an excellent job!

Dan, it's understandable why you wouldn't want to continue after the problems you've encountered, but I'm glad to see you're going to think about doing another BTT--just don't think about it on your cruise!!!! Enjoy the time to relax!! :-)
[Reply]
Page 10 of 11
« First < 8910 11 >
Up