Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 10 of 45
« First < 8910 111220 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>stirring the pot local B&M vs big internet
SeanGAR 03:06 PM 02-28-2009
Originally Posted by tedrodgerscpa:
SPSS is for girls....

SAS is the bomb

Don't you need those 5 1/4 inch floppy disks in order to run miniTab?!?
The last time I used SAS was on a terminal. I use Statistica 4.5 .. mainly because I paid ~700 for the software on seven 3.5" floppies in the early 90s. Copied the floppy files to a USB and it installs and runs just fine on Xp32. I runs everything that I understand LOL.
gnukfu 03:36 PM 02-28-2009
Originally Posted by md4958:
Its ok, I'll ask Don Pepin when hes at Habana Premium in Albany, NY on May 4th, and report back :-)
You name dropper Moe! So instead of visiting him he's coming to visit you? :-)
chippewastud79 04:51 PM 02-28-2009
Originally Posted by gnukfu:
You name dropper Moe! So instead of visiting him he's coming to visit you? :-)
Don Pepin is a guest of theirs :-)
WildBlueSooner 07:03 PM 02-28-2009
Who is Don Pepin and why are we talking about him? :-)
icehog3 10:08 PM 02-28-2009
Originally Posted by WildBlueSooner:
Who is Don Pepin and why are we talking about him? :-)
Don José "Pepin" Garcia is currently the C.E.O. of El Rey de los Habanos, Inc, a cigar company in Miami, also known as Don Pepín Cigars. He is a noted cigar maker living in Miami, Florida. Born in Cuba, he is a master cigar roller and blender, and the creator and maker of numerous popular cigar brands.

Pepin Garcia brands
Don Pepin Garcia Blue Label
Don Pepin Garcia Serie JJ
El Rey de los Habanos
Vegas Cubanas

Client brands
Black Cat Cigar Company, Philadelphia, PA NOTE: As of ca. April 2008, these will no longer be made by Pepin.
Rey Miguel
Sam's GS Stash
The Cigar Merchant, Alpharetta, GA
Trahan Reserva Serie T
Cigar King, Scottsdale, AZ
Cuban Diplomat
Habana Leon
Havana Soul
Hirsh y Garcia
Nacionales “W”
Sancti Spiritus
Holt's Cigar Co., Philadelphia, PA
Little Havana Overruns
Tatuaje Cigars Inc
Tatuaje
Cabaiguán
Padilla Cigar Company, Hialeah, FL NOTE: As of early 2008, Pepin is no longer making these.
Padilla Miami 8 & 11
Padilla Signature 1932[11]
Padilla 1948
Texan in Mexico 10:33 PM 02-28-2009
Nicely done Admiral, I am a bit slow Googling on my Crackberry at this time of night!
Ahbroody 10:41 PM 02-28-2009
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly:
Do you really think that cigar manufacturers make varying quality cigars for B&Ms vs internet retailers? I just don't think that's possible. I do think that long-term storage can be a problem at some of the internet retailers. Many tend to keep cigars at higher humidity levels so they can ship better. If cigars are kept at over 70% humidity for long periods of time, I can see some chemical changes happening that could cause problems. I've also been at some B&M's with serious humidity issues. I just don't buy the fact that B&M's are getting "better" cigars.

MCS
Agreed also.
Most know and understand that internet sticks require longer before smoking. On first arrival most go to **** about 1/2 way. 4 months later I dont believe theres a difference. I said before and I will say again. I have done splits on internet cigars with PEOPLE WHO WORK AT B&M. They dont believe there to be a difference after the sticks have rested long enough.

That said when I walk into the B&M I go to and yes its a full blown shop, I generally always buy a stick even if I am smoking something from home such as an CC or less common stick. So long as I am not flat broke. I think most shops gripes are that regulars come in with internet sticks all the time rarely buy there sticks but use there facilities.
Sr Mike 10:45 PM 02-28-2009
The more I spend on a cigar, the better it should taste. Right?
icehog3 10:58 PM 02-28-2009
Originally Posted by Sr Mike:
The more I spend on a cigar, the better it should taste. Right?
Absloutely not.

Gurkha Warrior......$7

Partagas Short....$4

Need I say more?
montecristo#2 11:16 PM 02-28-2009
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Absloutely not.

Gurkha Warrior......$7

Partagas Short....$4

Need I say more?
:-) :-)

NC Cohiba....$10+ :-)

Padron Londres.....~$2

Need I say more as well? :-)

This is an interesting discussion and I can honestly say I have not read through the entire thread.

The question I would want to know is turnover. I know B&Ms get a lot of foot traffic and probably sell more singles that internet stores, but what are those people buying? Are the people who frequent B&Ms looking for the same cigars as people who buy over the internet? I know when I go into local B&Ms (even ones with great selections) they often have the name brand cigars (montecristo, cohiba. . .) front and center or they have a large selection of Fuentes. I know when I go into a B&M I am looking for something specific to try as a single, when it comes to larger purchases I definitely go online.

Cigars are a handmade product, so it would not surprise me if there are slight differences between different batches in terms of blend and construction. Add that to the fact that cigars change with rest/age, storage conditions (RH) and it just doesn't seem possible. But you never know.

Also, I would assume you get a slightly different experience depending on how the cigar draws, how fast you smoke and how you cut the cigar. I know I personally do not like a punch as it concentrates the smoke too much for me. This is also the reason I typically make torpedos into robustos (:-) I know this is against the rules but I like to live on the edge sometimes).
icehog3 11:20 PM 02-28-2009
Originally Posted by montecristo#2:
:-)

NC Cohiba....$10+ :-)

Padron Londres.....~$2

Need I say more as well? :-)
Padron Londres $2

'01 Rafael Gonzales Corona Extra $1.36

Say more, Aaron. :-)
Genetic Defect 11:25 PM 02-28-2009
Padron Londres $2

I'll take the Padron.
montecristo#2 11:26 PM 02-28-2009
Padron Londres $2

Hey, it doesn't count when they are on sale for ridiculous prices! :-)
icehog3 11:29 PM 02-28-2009
Originally Posted by Big Vito:
I'll take the Padron.
Good, then we won't be wrestling.

Hey, it doesn't count when they are on sale for ridiculous prices! :-)
Why? :-)
montecristo#2 11:32 PM 02-28-2009

I bet you the Padrons draw better! :-) :-) :-) :-)
Sr Mike 11:52 PM 02-28-2009
Maybe I should expand my post.

Arturo Fuente Curly Head

B&M: $2
Internet: $0.63

Should I enjoy it more because of the cost? I doubt that they would really put the time into separating tobacco for B&M and internet retailers, it would be waste of time and cost. They make the same amount of money per box out of the factory. What difference would it make to them? None.
icehog3 12:03 AM 03-01-2009
I bet you the Padrons draw better! :-) :-) :-) :-)
You smoke the Padron Londres, I will smoke the RG CE, and we can compare notes. :-)
Steve 12:21 AM 03-01-2009
I have bought from both online and local shops. I prefer to buy most of my cigars from my local shop. It is located within a couple of miles from my house, always has a nice selection, friendly atmosphere, and usually good fellowship. If on the rare occasion that I get a bad stick, Howard is always quick to replace it with no fuss. Even factoring in gas and time, I can usually at worst come out even over paying for shipping. BUT, as I said, I am fortunate to have a local shop that is well stocked. I have spent some time in smaller towns that were not so fortunate.

As a matter of fact, I spent a couple of quality hours there this afternoon enjoying a couple of cigars, raiding the fridge in back for beer, and comparing hospital horror stories with the rest of the refugees from honeydo's that were hanging out there.

Originally Posted by Smokin Gator:
The sticks I enjoy the most are the ones from friends or that I enjoy with friends.
I will definately second (third, fourth, etc. this)!

BTW, When are you and Andrea looking to hit the Turtle again? Maybe I can make the trek up there to join ya.
montecristo#2 12:24 AM 03-01-2009
You smoke the Padron Londres, I will smoke the RG CE, and we can compare notes. :-)
Something tells me I will not be smoking a $2 cigar if we get a chance to smoke together in a couple of weeks!
Genetic Defect 05:26 PM 03-01-2009

We can still wrastle ya big stud
Page 10 of 45
« First < 8910 111220 > Last »
Up