Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>need suggestion for app: convert video DVD to iPod
petewho 10:44 AM 02-10-2009
I need suggestions for an app to convert video DVDs to play on an iPod. Specifically something that runs on Mac OS 10, but I'd use a different machine if I had to.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
[Reply]
AD720 10:46 AM 02-10-2009
Handbrake is excellent.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 10:58 AM 02-10-2009
Originally Posted by AD720:
Handbrake is excellent.
Did not have luck with Handbrake converting a DVD to my iPhone and it took hours!
[Reply]
WhoDeySchenk 11:02 AM 02-10-2009
I use DVDfab for my ZUNE, and I know they have an option for the iphone as well. It's a pay program, mainly for "backing up" DVD's. works great too w/ a lifetime upgrade, which is about once every 2-3 weeks.
[Reply]
AD720 11:06 AM 02-10-2009
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Did not have luck with Handbrake converting a DVD to my iPhone and it took hours!
What hardware?

I've heard people have major problems with it on PC but on Mac it is tough to beat as far as speed and ease of use.
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 11:12 AM 02-10-2009
Originally Posted by WhoDeySchenk:
I use DVDfab for my ZUNE, and I know they have an option for the iphone as well. It's a pay program, mainly for "backing up" DVD's. works great too w/ a lifetime upgrade, which is about once every 2-3 weeks.
I use this as well and have for a couple years. It works great!
[Reply]
mrreindeer 11:33 AM 02-10-2009
I think I use this and like it: http://www.cucusoft.com/
[Reply]
gpugliese 11:36 AM 02-10-2009
Visual Hub is great for this type of thing, but it's not being developed anymore. You can still find copies on VersionTracker though.
[Reply]
Swampper 11:52 AM 02-10-2009
Originally Posted by gpugliese:
Visual Hub is great for this type of thing, but it's not being developed anymore. You can still find copies on VersionTracker though.
VisualHub is great. It does about everything. It will put just about any video file on your ipod, or make a DVD of any video file. Unfortunately the developer stopped working on this and other programs. I think you can download it, but I don't thing you will be able to register it. :-)

See: http://www.techspansion.com/visualhub/
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 06:23 AM 02-11-2009
Originally Posted by AD720:
What hardware?

I've heard people have major problems with it on PC but on Mac it is tough to beat as far as speed and ease of use.
x64 HP Laptop with Vista64. It could be the format I wanted it encoded to or something, but seeing how long it takes to encode, I don't need to see a video on my iPhone that bad.

It was just a Judas Priest DVD I had laying around I thought would be fun to test on the iPhone...
[Reply]
JE3146 06:32 AM 02-11-2009
I use DVDDecryptor on IFO mode, then converting the .VOB files to the right resolution and codec with Videora Ipod Converter. Works good and it's free.
[Reply]
ucla695 06:33 AM 02-11-2009
I've been wondering about the same thing. Thanks for the suggestions.
[Reply]
AD720 07:50 AM 02-11-2009
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
x64 HP Laptop with Vista64. It could be the format I wanted it encoded to or something, but seeing how long it takes to encode, I don't need to see a video on my iPhone that bad.

It was just a Judas Priest DVD I had laying around I thought would be fun to test on the iPhone...
Yea, that's pretty much what I figured. A LOT of people I've talked to just don't have good luck with the Windows port of Handbrake.
[Reply]
floydp 04:20 PM 02-11-2009
Been using Handbrake for a couple years and I consider it must have Mac software. I use it to put video on the PS3 every week. I've used it several times to put dvds on my Ipod Classic. Excellent program.
[Reply]
Up