Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Recliner upholstery
Silound 09:21 PM 02-08-2009
Anyone know much about the cost of re-upholstering a recliner? I have one of the older early 90's model Lay-Z-Boys that had the good heavy hardware that needs a new fabric job bad. Everything else is in good shape. Was wondering what about it would cost these days to get one done, or if it's worth dropping 1600 for a new recliner in the style I like.
[Reply]
RGD. 09:57 PM 02-08-2009
Never had a recliner done - but have had a sofa and matching oversize chair done. Ran me $700 for the sofa and $400 for the chair. Plus the cost of the fabric which was another $800.

First impressions was that it was a nice job. Really though I never was really happy with it. Maybe I should have had the exposed wood refinished, insisted on a higher grade cushion/foam - I dunno. Just not thrilled with it. The shop came highly recommended - came out gave the estimate, picked up and delivered the furniture.

It's kinda like having your car repainted. Looks nice but deep down you know it's just not the same.

Bottom line is I don't think I will ever have another one done. Will just buy new instead.

Ron
[Reply]
kaisersozei 06:10 AM 02-09-2009
Originally Posted by RGD.:
Never had a recliner done - but have had a sofa and matching oversize chair done. Ran me $700 for the sofa and $400 for the chair. Plus the cost of the fabric which was another $800.

That's about what we paid a few years ago, too.

On the other hand, duct tape will run you just a few bucks per roll. And it comes in 30 colors!
[Reply]
Silound 09:24 AM 02-09-2009
This is mostly disappointing, but I'm probably going to have it done.

The never recliners don't have as robust hardware inside of them, and frequently will throw a spring, or crack a support wire. My older one was made of sturdier stuff.

Guess I'm looking to drop no more than 650 on the job, including materials.

Thanks guys.
[Reply]
Up