Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Four CDs out
mikeyj23 05:11 AM 02-02-2009
Four CDs I'm playing on with the North Texas Wind Symphony have recently come out on GIA Publications and the new GIA WindWorks series. I'm playing on Domains, Chronicles, Teaching Music through Performance in Band: Volume 7, Grades 2-3, and Composer's Collection: Jack Stamp.

It's pretty cool to hear the fruits of your labor after sitting in recording for about 80 cumulative hours. Wind Ensemble (band) music isn't for everyone, but I just thought I'd share!
[Reply]
mikeyj23 05:31 AM 02-02-2009
(From the liner notes)

Winds magazine offers the following regarding the body of work: "This series has immense historic value in documenting the best of the repertoire...as well as providing much sheer listening (and viewing) pleasure for the level of artistry in the performances. The acoustic quality of the recordings is state of the art...All of the works are superbly realized and worthy of exploration...these discs represent the standards to which all must aspire."
[Reply]
md4958 06:19 AM 02-02-2009
Congrats!! :-)
[Reply]
RevSmoke 06:39 AM 02-02-2009
Son just spent the day with Michael Sweeney as part of the Wisconsin state honors band for Junior High Level.

Too bad that too much of that which people listen to is more noise making and that more do not appreciate the complexity and richness of music like this.

Keep up the good work.
[Reply]
elderboy02 07:23 AM 02-02-2009
I like it. :-) What do you play?
[Reply]
Blueface 07:28 AM 02-02-2009
Way to go Mikey!!!
Congrats!
Is it on iTunes?
[Reply]
croatan 09:45 AM 02-02-2009
Congrats, Mikey!
[Reply]
CBI_2 08:28 PM 02-02-2009
Originally Posted by mikeyj23:
Four CDs I'm playing on with the North Texas Wind Symphony have recently come out on GIA Publications and the new GIA WindWorks series. I'm playing on Domains, Chronicles, Teaching Music through Performance in Band: Volume 7, Grades 2-3, and Composer's Collection: Jack Stamp.

It's pretty cool to hear the fruits of your labor after sitting in recording for about 80 cumulative hours. Wind Ensemble (band) music isn't for everyone, but I just thought I'd share!
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
Son just spent the day with Michael Sweeney as part of the Wisconsin state honors band for Junior High Level.

Too bad that too much of that which people listen to is more noise making and that more do not appreciate the complexity and richness of music like this.

Keep up the good work.
Congrats tou you both.
[Reply]
mikeyj23 08:38 PM 02-02-2009
Thanks for all the congrats, gents.

Originally Posted by RevSmoke:

Very cool - I'm glad your son had the opportunity to work with a great clinician, and congrats to him for making that band! This kind of music is (literally) my life and work, so it's great for people to appreciate it.

Originally Posted by elderboy02:
I like it. :-) What do you play?
I'm a trombonist.

Originally Posted by Blueface:
Is it on iTunes?
Not yet, my friend, but it will be. If I see it pop up I'll bump this thread. Again, thanks for all the congratulations.
[Reply]
newcigarz 06:06 AM 02-03-2009
Originally Posted by mikeyj23:
I'm a trombonist.

Congrats Mike.
[Reply]
mikeyj23 04:00 PM 06-07-2009
Three of the four CDs have hit iTunes!

North Texas Wind Symphony - Domains
Highlights: Millennium Canons by Kevin Puts, Kingfishers Catch Fire by John Mackey

North Texas Wind Symphony - Chronicles
Highlights: Concertango by Luis Serrono Alarcon, Chang Su Koh's symphony As the Sun Rises

North Texas Wind Symphony - Composer's Collection: Jack Stamp
Highlights: Bandancing, Air Link
[Reply]
nozero 04:56 PM 06-07-2009

I can't imagine how good this must make you feel!
:-)
[Reply]
Up