Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Whole house audio
mmblz 08:27 PM 01-28-2009
Anyone familiar with this? I'm trying to decide on a setup.
Lots of ideas but none seem just right...

I want to be able to choose mp3s from the various rooms - so controller must have at least lcd (not just buttons)

iTunes / Airport Expresses / iTouch Remote - downside is I would need multiple amplifiers, and would need a computer to always be on.

Sonos - downside is price - either need lots of the $500 units, or need separate amps... Also, I will only have satellite internet if anything, so would not be able to take advantage of online streaming music.

Niles / Russound / some other hardwired system - downside is no good way to control what you are listening to - only good option is often a very pricey wall mounted controller, and then you need one for each room.

My next idea was to use Sonos for the control, but then plug a single Sonos unit into a Niles/Russound/other multi channel amp. Then use the amp to control what speakers were on and volume, and the Sonos iTouch interface to control what I was actually listening to.

Next idea was to cut out the Sonos and just do a single Airport Express connected to Niles or Russound.

Blech. Anyone been through all this or have any thoughts?
[Reply]
replicant_argent 08:58 PM 01-28-2009
I would bet a dollar Ron (RGD) is your man here.
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 09:04 PM 01-28-2009
as you know $$$ is what limits your options.
[Reply]
RGD. 09:15 PM 01-28-2009
When I was remodeling last year I looked at Sonos - but since I needed a new receiver anyways I decided to go a different route. I went with a Denon (3808CI) that does multi-room. This Denon connects to the network/internet so I can play any music from any computer connected to the net, internet radio, an iPod when connected, plus regular broadcast, XM, CD's, DVD's , etc - damn near anything.

I can play a different source in each room. It comes with remote controllers if you add the IR controls - which I didn't add but can. I have four rooms (everybody has different needs) that I connected: Living room, kitchen, rear deck and front deck. Adding external amps I could add more rooms by changing the amp assigns on the Denon.

In addition I can control the Denon from any computer connected to the net. As in if I'm in my basement office and my daughter is upstairs in the living room and I don't like what she is playing - or playing to loud - I can change the song or turn the damn thing down from here - makes for some good fun - :-)

Haven't tried it yet - but I may be able to control it from my Treo phone also.

Anyway - just an idea - works very well for me - but you know - different needs.

Ron
[Reply]
butterB 01:04 AM 01-29-2009
Being that i'm a Machead, i'd go with the Airport Extreme route. It's the cheapest and easiest... No real hard wiring to run through walls. You don't necessarily have to buy more amps. You can plug it into anything that takes an audio source like a TV. You can buy really good and really cheap self powered speakers now a days.
[Reply]
kayak_rat 06:37 AM 01-29-2009
Ron has got the 411 on this stuff.

For wires, cords, acc., etc check out monoprice.com
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 08:42 AM 01-29-2009
I like Bang & Olufsen's stuff. Really looks the part. I use to have it as a stereo, but it can be too proprietary for many.
[Reply]
RBOrrell 09:59 AM 01-29-2009
My neighbour just did this and I am not sure of all of the brand names he used, but in a nutshell, he has wired up every room in the house with in-wall speakers. Each room has a small control panel (about the size of a switch plate) that has a touch pad screen that allows him to turn on/off the speakers in the room, control volume, etc. He really has only one source that drives the speakers. I helped him over the Christmas holidays setup a Mac Airport Express that is connected to the receiver and then setup a new Mac notebook that runs iTunes and the AirPort gets music from.

The only problem that I see with his iTunes system is that the notebook is more or less dedicated to this purpose and you need to use the notebook to select the music to listen to.

Sonus seems to have a good system, agreed it's not cheap.

Howard Stern's producer (Gary Del Abate) has recently wired up his house (it was a new house though) and was the subject of a magazine article (Sound and Vision I think). The article is available online and it shows what he used. http://www.howardstern.com has the link.
[Reply]
Gargoyle 11:13 AM 01-29-2009
I started to go down this path a while ago and picked up a Logitech Squeezebox Duet. Lots of options of controlling the audio from many different sources, but it doesn't address the actual wiring and speaker placement throughout the house... just the music source itself. Still, I thought this was a good starting point!

Here is some info, although you can find better deals on Amazon, eBay and other sources.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/sp.../3817&cl=US,EN
[Reply]
mmblz 09:03 PM 02-09-2009
Thanks for all the ideas...

Still stuck. Read a fair amount about Logitech Squeezebox Duet vs Sonos and concluded that if I got either it would be the Sonos. Howard Stern guy looks like he basically used Russound - I checked them out but the nicer control interfaces are wicked expensive. Bang & Olfusen looks too complicated and like it isn't really focused on whole house audio. The Denon seems to only have 3 zones, and I wouldn't need the 7.1 or 5.1 channels - just 2 channels in more than 3 rooms. Still kind of stuck between Airport Extreme & amps, Sonos, Niles ZR-6, Nuvo Essentia or Nuvo Grand Concerto.
[Reply]
RGD. 10:37 PM 02-09-2009
Originally Posted by mmblz:
Thanks for all the ideas...

Still stuck. . . .
It's tough. I spent a good six months deciding on which way to go. Once I knew that I did want 5.1 in the main room - and two channels in the other three areas - it kinda set the course, then it was what to get.

Good luck with it all and be sure to let us know what you end up with.

Ron

And oh yeah - this comes recommended by King James: CLICK HERE . . :-)
[Reply]
King James 10:48 PM 02-09-2009
Originally Posted by RGD.:

And oh yeah - this comes recommended by King James: CLICK HERE . . :-)
you know it :-) lol
[Reply]
Up