Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>going to Austin, TX for the first time ever...2/06
mrreindeer 11:21 AM 01-15-2009
Hey guys & gals, I'm going to be in Austin the weekend of 2/06. I'll be going with a colleague for a business event that weekend but might have some free time to do some exploring. I might even have an hour or two for a cigar!

Since I've never been to Austin, I'd love to check out the 'must see's' of the town I've heard so much about. On the Real World, you know. And from stories I've heard from SXSW. And well, that's about all I know about Austin.

So what should I check out?? Sights, eats, good bars, cigar joints....any herfs planned in case I have some time to join up?

I'll be staying downtown.

Thanks!!!!
[Reply]
Beagleone 02:05 PM 01-15-2009
Get a hold of Trudy (TTours) and see if you can get him to come out to smoke with you.

I am about 180 miles north of Austin, so it makes it hard for a herf. Can't do a road trip then because of family commitments that weekend. Hope you enjoy it. I spent many years in and around Austin, but can't seem to bring myself to move there.
[Reply]
theycallmedan'lboone 02:28 PM 01-15-2009
6th street can be fun/rough. depending. I'd get out of there before closing time though.
[Reply]
DrDubzz 02:30 PM 01-15-2009
Heroes and Legacies is a good place there for cigars and related items.

I've haven't lived there since I was 14, but I think Yazzie lives in the area
[Reply]
mrreindeer 10:35 AM 01-16-2009
thanks guys, adding to the list! :-)

I'll hit up TTours & Yazzie on PM now.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 11:22 AM 01-16-2009
Go to the Salt Lick in Driftwood. Best BBQ ever!

There's a cigar bar right near the State House. State House and Texas History Museum are both good takes as well.

Don't know how old you are, but 6th St. is for just over 21 crowd.
[Reply]
s15driftking 12:43 PM 01-25-2009
BBQ - go to Rudys, its amazing

GoodFood - Iron Cactus, this place makes the guacamole in front of you!!! its also a trendy bar as well.

Theres a place thats got an outdoor stage for local bands etc and the stage is between two bars, someone help me out with this one! cant remember.

Theres a head shop thats got a decent selection of cigars right across from the Hilton Gardens. The street behind the hilton gardens is to Canada what Quillett Street is. There are 20 bars on that strip... including a coyote ugly.

LOVE AUSTIN TX!!!
[Reply]
mrreindeer 09:53 AM 01-29-2009
Nice! Thanks guys, I'm 35 but 21 in spirit; I might just have to check out 6th for a spell just for the experience.
[Reply]
s15driftking 10:19 AM 01-29-2009
I swear man, if you ever come to Columbus i will take you out for a great time!

Or else... if i'm in Socal. alot of my boys live out there!
[Reply]
mrreindeer 10:40 AM 01-29-2009
You know you're on, Bob. You just let me know when you come out here for a visit.
[Reply]
mrreindeer 10:51 AM 02-05-2009
Heading out there today guys; thanks again. If anyone's free for a smoke & a drink, please let me know!
[Reply]
DrDubzz 11:32 AM 02-05-2009
I won't be in Austin, but I'll be in Orange County in a couple months
[Reply]
mrreindeer 11:46 AM 02-05-2009
Oh REALLY........are you coming when Big Vito (Perry) will be in town in early April when we're gonna herf it up?
[Reply]
s15driftking 12:54 PM 02-05-2009
BTW, found the street where all the nightlife is.. its called West 6th... so much to do on that street.

Go to the Coyote ugly

also, this place has an outdoor stage between two bars... the main bar is called Cedar street

http://www.cedarstreetaustin.com/
^^^ the warehouse district is awesome!!!
[Reply]
Up