Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Where are the crafty Inmates
SilverFox 11:05 PM 01-14-2009
As I have mentioned elsewhere I am putting together a walk in humi.

I was given an idea from a fellow inmate (Mikey I think) to laminate bands to make my floor I love the idea.

I have a few questions for the crafty Inmates.

1. I am just going to use one side finished 3/4 inch plywood for the floor and laminate the bands to it. I am putting it down on concrete do I need any padding rubber backing underneath it?

2. What is the best way to glue the bands to the wood (Product names)? Also how long to cure prior to sealing.

3. What is the best way to seal it after, I am assuming polyurethane but is there something better?

3. The bands are mostly still circles what is the best way to seperate them without having them peel?

4. Should I flatten the bands before gluing them so they stick down?

As usual all thoughts and ideas are appreciated.

[Reply]
acarr 11:19 PM 01-14-2009
I can answer 5 for you. Yes
[Reply]
groogs 11:20 PM 01-14-2009
Originally Posted by SilverFox:

I was given an idea from a fellow inmate (Mikey I think) to laminate bands to make my floor I love the idea.

1. I am just going to use one side finished 3/4 inch plywood for the floor and laminate the bands to it. I am putting it down on concrete do I need any padding rubber backing underneath it?

2. What is the best way to glue the bands to the wood (Product names)? Also how long to cure prior to sealing.

3. What is the best way to seal it after, I am assuming polyurethane but is there something better?

3. The bands are mostly still circles what is the best way to seperate them without having them peel?

1. would at least put down a plastic barrier underneath to stop any moisture that might come from the concrete.

2. I would just use some super glur ethat dries clesr, so it doesn't hurt the bands.

3. I would use a two part epoxy to seal the bands. I can't remember the name, but there are two part epoxies that you mix together and then pour onto the surface to be covered. That will provide a thick durable covering. It may get scratched over time, but it can always be sanded and re-finished without hurting the bands.

3. I don't know the best way to separate the bands. I think it really depends on the type of paper and the type of glue used in how clean they come apart.

4. I think flattening the bands would make glueing them easier, but I don't think it is necessary.

I am sure there are craftier BOTL's than me, but those are some of my ideas.
[Reply]
South Shield 11:35 PM 01-14-2009

Put building paper underneath the plywood to keep moisture out. Probably better to put building paper over the concrete then 1/2" thick OSB. Then you can hilti the OSB to the concrete so you can tack nail your plywood floor to the substrate

Gorilla glue or use a glue gun

polyurethane is too liquidy and will damage your bands, use epoxy

use a hair dryer to loosen the glue

yes

[Reply]
livwire68 03:27 AM 01-15-2009

1. I am just going to use one side finished 3/4 inch plywood for the floor and laminate the bands to it. I am putting it down on concrete do I need any padding rubber backing underneath it? As said before you need a moisture barrier, you can find it for laminate flooring, basically a fairly clear plastic sheeting, may want to use spray adhesive so it wont slide. To stop the plywood from sliding you could also use liquid nails.

2. What is the best way to glue the bands to the wood (Product names)? Also how long to cure prior to sealing. Here Again I would use the spray adhesive in small sections at a time, can be tedious work putting bands on. Also cover any bands while you spray, you dont want any on finished bands

3. What is the best way to seal it after, I am assuming polyurethane but is there something better? They make a coating they use for bar tops, cant remember what it is called. Dries hard and clear, caution if wet will be a slick surface!

3. The bands are mostly still circles what is the best way to seperate them without having them peel? My Wife uses the steam from an iron or you can use a warm humidifier to loosen the glue on the bands. I think the moisture helps!

4. Should I flatten the bands before gluing them so they stick down? Yes, I would! It will give it a smooth appearence, just trim some of the crappy or white ends off for that clean look.

The bands on the floor are a neat idea however it will be labor intensive. I personally would do the bands in a shadow box like I have done here if you have a fairly large area to do!

I believe its the third pic down.
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1217

And in case you have not seen here is my walk in with out the shelves.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4238
[Reply]
Mark C 05:03 AM 01-15-2009
Originally Posted by livwire68:
2. What is the best way to glue the bands to the wood (Product names)? Also how long to cure prior to sealing. Here Again I would use the spray adhesive in small sections at a time, can be tedious work putting bands on. Also cover any bands while you spray, you dont want any on finished bands

3. What is the best way to seal it after, I am assuming polyurethane but is there something better? They make a coating they use for bar tops, cant remember what it is called. Dries hard and clear, caution if wet will be a slick surface!
:-) These were the two suggestions I was going to post! Especially the spray adhesive, I think anything else would be far too tedious for a whole floor.
[Reply]
kaisersozei 05:19 AM 01-15-2009

To add to the other suggestions on these, what you're basically doing is called decoupage. A craft store should carry something called ModPodge (or a similar brand,) a waterbased product that acts as a glue, sealer & finish. You can apply it to the wood or to the back of cigar bands with a foam brush, and it stays workable for some time. Dries clear, and you can use it to build up a finish as well. Or they also make a product specifically for decoupage finishes. Afterward you ought to be able to apply a polyurethane just like you would a floor.
[Reply]
livwire68 05:29 AM 01-15-2009
Here is some info about the epoxy based stuff, I think the decoupage stuff would get rather expensive to get the desired thickness you should have. Also you can put down bands and a 1/8" epoxy coating, let cure and add a second coat of bands and epoxy for a 3D type look. this will allow you to cover mistakes and possibly use less bands.

http://www.epoxyproducts.com/bartop.html
or
http://www.mrfiberglass.com/table_top_clear_resins.html
[Reply]
HK3- 05:37 AM 01-15-2009
Fox, I would take scissors and cut the bands in the back removing about a quarter of and inch from them. So you would pretty much be removing the part in the back where they are glued together. Then they would lay flat much easier.

Really doesn't matter what you use to put them down... superglue works just fine. I would recommend using the kind that has the little brush inside.

The bands only have to stay still until the poly is poured. And a good tip for the poly (I mess with the stuff a lot :-)) Use a small gas torch to remove all the bubbles. You just sway it back and forth over the poured poly in a sweeping motion to remove the bubbles. (The weight of CO2 removes the bubbles...not heat.)

Good luck!
[Reply]
s15driftking 06:40 AM 01-15-2009
i'm going to add to groogs.

Originally Posted by groogs:

2. I would just use some super glur ethat dries clesr, so it doesn't hurt the bands.
if you are going to pour a resin or epoxy over top. please use an acid free spray adhesive (aerosol can you can find at an art supply store). The non-acid spray will ensure that the bands enver discolor or "Yellow". the spray adhesive will also ensure even and full coverage in just the right amount.

Originally Posted by :

3. I would use a two part epoxy to seal the bands. I can't remember the name, but there are two part epoxies that you mix together and then pour onto the surface to be covered. That will provide a thick durable covering. It may get scratched over time, but it can always be sanded and re-finished without hurting the bands.

i couldnt agree more with "using a big clear goo".

Use either a two part epoxy or a resin. Always, ALWAYS make sure you put in more hardener than they reccomend or your finished product will either be sticky or it will "sweat" an alcohol-like substance.

Good luck brother, can't wait to see it.
[Reply]
Up