Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Is Portland pizza profound
markem 07:56 AM 07-17-2021
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/b...ors/index.html

"The honor of best pizza city in the United States goes not to those traditional standard bearers of pizza but instead to that innovative West Coast upstart of Portland, Oregon."

The pizza here is good, but it has no defining style, which is why I wouldn't put it in the top 5. There should be a definable "Portland style pizza" for it to be in the top. Just because there are many really good places does not, IMO, make a city the best.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 08:04 AM 07-17-2021
That is reckless on CNN's part to recommend visiting a city in turmoil :-) . Visit Chicago while at it for a slice.

Kabul has great Kebabs, but I am not recommending it to anyone.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 11:10 AM 07-17-2021
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
that is reckless on cnn's part to recommend visiting a city in turmoil :-) . Visit chicago while at it for a slice.

kabul has great kebabs, but i am not recommending it to anyone.
lmao!!!
[Reply]
68TriShield 11:50 AM 07-17-2021
Lawlessness aside, I agree. Like you say there is no "Portland" style pizza. Detroit style pizza is a new one to me and it's gaining traction.There's that word again... style
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 04:04 PM 07-17-2021
Living in the Detroit area, I’ve never been a huge fan of that style. Always thought Buddy’s was overrated. But then I took a baking class a few years ago and that was one of the items we made. Got an appreciation for it. Still like a thin crust.
[Reply]
The Poet 07:09 PM 07-17-2021
Just yesterday I watched a rerun of the "new" Hawaii 5-0 tv series, the one where Scott Caan's father, the redoubtable James Caan, was a guest star. In the closing scene he rewards Danno and McGarrett by flying in Ray's pizza from New York to Honolulu. And in the first Iron Man movie Obadiah Stane (Jeff Bridges) brought some back to Tony Stark from NYC to Malibu. Both seemed perfectly reasonable, in a weird Hollywood sort of way.

Can you really see anybody doing this sort of thing with Portland pizza? :-)
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 07:18 AM 07-18-2021
Originally Posted by The Poet:
Just yesterday I watched a rerun of the "new" Hawaii 5-0 tv series, the one where Scott Caan's father, the redoubtable James Caan, was a guest star. In the closing scene he rewards Danno and McGarrett by flying in Ray's pizza from New York to Honolulu. And in the first Iron Man movie Obadiah Stane (Jeff Bridges) brought some back to Tony Stark from NYC to Malibu. Both seemed perfectly reasonable, in a weird Hollywood sort of way.

Can you really see anybody doing this sort of thing with Portland pizza? :-)
The only pizza more overrated than New York pizza is Chicago deep dish pizza (which isn't pizza, it's a casserole).

---lights fuse...gets away--- :-)
[Reply]
The Poet 07:51 AM 07-18-2021
The tastiest pizza I ever had is a tight race between a place near Vanderbilt in Nashville and one in Sterling NJ. The worst? I'd have to go with the standard Pizza Hut offering, with its cracker-like excuse for a crust the main flaw. Thus I'd have to say THAT is the most over-rated, as there are nearly 19,000 of these spots worldwide.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 08:58 AM 07-18-2021
Originally Posted by The Poet:
The tastiest pizza I ever had is a tight race between a place near Vanderbilt in Nashville and one in Sterling NJ. The worst? I'd have to go with the standard Pizza Hut offering, with its cracker-like excuse for a crust the main flaw. Thus I'd have to say THAT is the most over-rated, as there are nearly 19,000 of these spots worldwide.
I'm with you on Pizza Hut. I'd rather eat a sodium-bomb Digiorno pizza than Pizza Hut.

Best pizza I ever had was a frutti di mara pie in Pordenone, Italy.
Best in the US was in West Haven, Ct. It's been a couple of decades, though, and I can't remember the name of the place.
[Reply]
Onefreetexan 08:42 AM 07-20-2021
Bay City, Michigan has been making a square pizza since before WWII, you can’t beat it. They think it might be the first pizza in the states. they didn’t copy anything, they just invented it.
[Reply]
icehog3 08:45 AM 07-20-2021
Originally Posted by Onefreetexan:
Bay City, Michigan has been making a square pizza since before WWII, you can’t beat it. They think it might be the first pizza in the states. they didn’t copy anything, they just invented it.
[Reply]
Up