Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Raspberry Pi
markem 10:49 AM 12-01-2015
No, not a berry pie, raspberry pi!

I know that many of you like to play with geek toys and some are quite amazing at it. You may have heard about the new raspberry pi zero, a $5 computer. They sold out almost as soon as they opened ordering.

However, there is a back-door way to get one if you are willing to subscribe to the magicpi magazine. https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/

I received a raspberry pi 2 on Monday and am presently working on developing a framework for writing your own operating system for it. If anyone wants to collaborate or such, let me know. I am hoping to use this in spring term for my operating systems class. In that class, I have students rewrite a simple unix-like operating system to make it, well, less simple. :-)

Anywho, wanted to pass on the info about the zero and the magazine in case anyone was looking to snag one.
[Reply]
CoffeeWaterBeer 10:57 AM 12-01-2015
37.50 for a 3 issue subscription including the pi. Not a bad deal but I might wait until after the holidays. These things look like a ton of fun.
[Reply]
shilala 11:01 AM 12-01-2015
I've never found a use for the pi, but I keep it in the back of my head.
Someday I'll look up the bus speed and build a little something to run my cnc. But once I've got the peripherals added into the price, it'll exceed the cost of a laptop at dell outlet.
Not like I don't have enough to do already. :-)

I look forward to see what you guys come up with!!! :-)
[Reply]
stearns 12:39 PM 12-01-2015
I've played around with Arduino a little, but that's a much more simplified little device than the pi. I have a few friends that have some older middle raspberry pi's but they never really got anything done with them. It seem like a cool idea for the class, let us know how it goes :-)
[Reply]
The Poet 01:05 PM 12-01-2015
I like pi, though it are round not square.
[Reply]
themoneycollector 01:23 PM 12-01-2015
I have one, I found myself using my laptop connected to my tv to watch shows almost exclusively. I had hoped to use the rpi instead of my laptop, but it never worked out for me. Too slow and getting files from my laptop to the rpi was a hassle, it has collected dust ever since.
[Reply]
Up