Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Public Pianos
AdamJoshua 09:06 AM 07-02-2015
Sarasota installed 'public pianos' throughout downtown. These pianos are open to anyone to play and someone posted this video to me, quite awesome, he needs to put a tip cup on there and start raking in some cash. Instead of people ignoring him or crossing the street to avoid him they are filming him and enjoying what he has to offer .. which is quite a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCguq3hTC2M

http://www.mysuncoast.com/news/video...e16a0052e.html
[Reply]
Dave128 09:58 AM 07-02-2015
That's pretty amazing. Makes you think of all the wasted talent that is out on the streets just because they happen to be down on their luck. I hope someone sees this and offers him a helping hand.
[Reply]
Remo 10:00 AM 07-02-2015
Very cool, and I like the chic :-)
[Reply]
Brian D. 10:10 AM 07-02-2015
Cincinnati just installed one of those giant "walk on to play" pianos downtown in their new park along the river. It's like the one from the Tom Hanks movie "Big". Never learned more than a few chords on a conventional piano and doubt my feet have even that much talent. Going to have to take a look at the thing sometime though.
[Reply]
dave 10:13 AM 07-02-2015
Cool.

But, I have to admit that I opened this three or four times before I was actually able to read the whole thing. I just couldn't wrap my head around the first sentence. Tax dollars at work, I suppose....
[Reply]
The Poet 10:27 AM 07-02-2015
A quick google will show that a number of cities have done this. For instance, back in 2010 NYC put 60 pianos out, and topped that in 2013 with a most-appropriate 88 of them.

I think it is great, for both community and cultural benefits.
[Reply]
stearns 10:33 AM 07-02-2015
I've seen some good music played on the ones in downtown Denver, they have them all over and they're all painted differently. Very cool idea
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 11:32 AM 07-02-2015
Originally Posted by dave:
Cool.

But, I have to admit that I opened this three or four times before I was actually able to read the whole thing. I just couldn't wrap my head around the first sentence. Tax dollars at work, I suppose....
Well, tax dollars spent on bringing people together, giving some people down in their luck a little bit of sunshine in their days, teaching children just because someone is having a rough run it doesn't mean they have nothing to offer our society, I can name many many wastes of tax dollars that accomplish none of that. :-)
[Reply]
shark 04:04 PM 07-02-2015
Wouldn't work in Detroit. Some asshole would vandalize or steal them.
[Reply]
The Poet 04:20 PM 07-02-2015
Originally Posted by shark:
Wouldn't work in Detroit. Some asshole would vandalize or steal them.
I guess we'll see.

http://www.greenfieldreporter.com/vi...owntown-Pianos
[Reply]
Blueface 07:17 AM 07-03-2015
Originally Posted by Dave128:
I hope someone sees this and offers him a helping hand.
Looks like it may happen.

In response to the viral video of Gould playing “Come Sail Away,” one community member has reached out to Surf Shack on St. Armands Circle, who indicated they would be willing to give the pianist a tryout as a potential act for their upstairs piano bar after the holiday weekend.

Very talented man, a veteran and sad story As to how he ended up in the streets. Lost his wife and such a devastation that lost his mind right after that.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 01:59 PM 07-03-2015
I took classical piano lessons for 13 years and can't play a tune now. Was never really into playing, but I don't make the rules as a child.
[Reply]
Dave128 08:22 PM 07-03-2015
Originally Posted by Blueface:
Looks like it may happen.

In response to the viral video of Gould playing “Come Sail Away,” one community member has reached out to Surf Shack on St. Armands Circle, who indicated they would be willing to give the pianist a tryout as a potential act for their upstairs piano bar after the holiday weekend.

Very talented man, a veteran and sad story As to how he ended up in the streets. Lost his wife and such a devastation that lost his mind right after that.
:-)
[Reply]
Up