Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>cable TV
mhailey 10:20 PM 03-26-2015
HOLY COW! I just signed up for cable TV (been getting my channels for free over the air through the antenna), and WOW. Able to pause, rewind, and save shows. SOOOOOO many channels. I don't have to stand holding the antenna in my right hand, with my left hand reaching toward the ceiling and my right foot touching the window frame just to get the game without static.

Best $35 I've ever spent.
[Reply]
8zeros 10:29 PM 03-26-2015
What's "cable TV?"
The only way we git TV here is with one of them there dish thingys. Innernet sux too.
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 11:05 PM 03-26-2015
Technology has sure come along way hasn't it Matt?:-)

I really miss the Star Spangle Banner at midnight, followed shortly by the test signal pattern myself...:-)
[Reply]
mhailey 11:37 PM 03-26-2015
Originally Posted by MarkinCA:
Technology has sure come along way hasn't it Matt?:-)

I really miss the Star Spangle Banner at midnight, followed shortly by the test signal pattern myself...:-)
Apparently technology has advanced beyond me. When I started asking my parents about what new shows were available, and my elementary school grade daughters were getting ridiculed at school because they were quoting Archie Bunker, I figured it was time to break down and pay for cable.
[Reply]
The Poet 08:25 AM 03-27-2015
Cable? TV? Of what speak thee?
[Reply]
hotreds 09:05 AM 03-27-2015
The sad thing is maybe 3 of the channels are worth watching........
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 10:07 AM 03-27-2015
8,000,000 channels and nothing on.

Actually I had cut the cord a few months back, when moving my basic service and net to the new apt I was told I could get the U200 package, blah blah blah, for 40 bucks a month so I figured why not.

Got my U-Verse bill today, 380 bucks, called them as soon as the heart attack was over. "Well sir you are right, there should not be 199 dollar install fee, not sure why that's on your bill, let me 'see if I can' remove it for you." ....

Now maybe they can figure out why I was told I would get U200 for 40 bucks a month and my bill says 80 a month, fail all over the place. I wonder how many people just pay these bogus charges without thinking about it, or never notice because they don't check their bills each month, they just set up auto pay and forget about them.

After 10 minutes on hold the ATT rep came back and told me while they don't offer any HD service for 40 bucks a month he DID find a note on the account saying that was the price offered to me, he isn't sure why but he's going to go ahead and at my request lock me into that price (so it won't go up in 2 months or something slimy), I'm 2 for 2, I should quit while I'm ahead.

So don't just set up auto pay and assume everything is coming up roses. :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 11:33 AM 03-27-2015
I may go back to cable. There are shows I just can't watch easily on internet and some streamed shows can by choppy.
[Reply]
shilala 12:11 PM 03-27-2015
I hum the Star Spangled Banner every night when I'm done watching tv, then I go watch the test pattern on youtube.
It makes me feel all cozy inside.
[Reply]
T.G 12:13 PM 03-27-2015
Originally Posted by shilala:
I hum the Star Spangled Banner every night when I'm done watching tv, then I go watch the test pattern on youtube.
It makes me feel all cozy inside.
I hum all the time, but enough about the steel plate in my head when it gets too close to a magnetic field.
[Reply]
shilala 12:26 PM 03-27-2015
Originally Posted by T.G:
I hum all the time, but enough about the steel plate in my head when it gets too close to a magnetic field.
My wireless headphones shut off in front of the microwave. Just sayin.
[Reply]
The Poet 01:13 PM 03-27-2015
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
I may go back to cable. There are shows I just can't watch easily on internet and some streamed shows can by choppy.
True dat. But I've found that Hulu streams quite well, and even without paying for Plus offers a huge free catalog.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 01:37 PM 03-27-2015
Originally Posted by The Poet:
True dat. But I've found that Hulu streams quite well, and even without paying for Plus offers a huge free catalog.
We have Hulu and for every program they have, there's one they don't. I use my parents' cable company login along with "unsupported" streams in Plex.

There's something to be said about cable. How does one watch F1 or TdF for free???
[Reply]
The Poet 01:47 PM 03-27-2015
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
How does one watch F1 or TdF for free???
I dunno. I'm still struggling with WHY one would watch F1 or the Tour, free or otherwise. :-)

Now the Giro or the Vuelta, those are fun, with nearly as many wrecks as NASCAR. :-)
[Reply]
rr_coyote 09:28 PM 03-27-2015
We got DirecTV here after pretty much only watching Netflix and having a few basic channels for football. Holy crap, I forgot what it's like to watch TV shows I enjoy!
[Reply]
shark 02:34 AM 03-28-2015
Any of the old timers remember when there were independent TV stations?There were a few in the Detroit area while I was a kid: WKBD channel 50, and WGPR channel 62. Channel 50 was where the cartoons were shown, and every morning before school I'd tune in. Sometimes when I was up early enough I would see the national anthem being played as they were signing in for the day, then some bald guy in a suit (probably the station manager or owner) would come on talking about their station, how it does good for the community, blah blah blah. Us kids would laugh because I swear to God, this guy's head was really weird shaped. It was like the top of his skull almost came to a sort of a point.
[Reply]
Subvet642 02:46 AM 03-28-2015
Originally Posted by shark:
Any of the old timers remember when there were independent TV stations?There were a few in the Detroit area while I was a kid: WKBD channel 50, and WGPR channel 62. Channel 50 was where the cartoons were shown, and every morning before school I'd tune in. Sometimes when I was up early enough I would see the national anthem being played as they were signing in for the day, then some bald guy in a suit (probably the station manager or owner) would come on talking about their station, how it does good for the community, blah blah blah. Us kids would laugh because I swear to God, this guy's head was really weird shaped. It was like the top of his skull almost came to a sort of a point.
We had a few here in Boston; WLVI, WSBK, and I forget the call letters of the last one. I miss Saturday morning Bugs Bunny cartoons. :-)
[Reply]
Up