Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Big ash question
nutcracker 06:40 AM 09-08-2014
OK - so nervously flicking the ash off is bad form. Having it grow until it falls on your host's leather chair is probably worse.

As a rule I touch the tip of the ash every now and then and let the ash fall gently in the ashtray. However when out walking on sitting in the park, I sometimes let is grow (as this "Partagas" would attest to).

If a cigar manages big ash, I get the sense that are quite well made, long fill, hand made and not floor sweepings or homogenized tobacco product. Other than that, no real advantage, other than "gee look at that". There seems to be a downside too - when the cigar finally lets go, it doesn't seem to burn as well, and in my experience sometimes just goes out.

So what's the consensus on ashing?

[Reply]
equetefue 06:52 AM 09-08-2014
Neil, when it comes to ash I share the sentiment that the longest it holds ash the better the cigar was constructed. At least that way I feel.

In any case, after about 2 inches or so I touch the ashtray and break it off. Dont like flicking. Is not a cigarette.
[Reply]
BlkDrew 07:52 AM 09-08-2014
Longer the ash, better construction. Long filler will provide a longer ash where as short filler and machine made cigars will tend to drop ash easily.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 08:06 AM 09-08-2014
I tend to agree with the "better construction = longer ash" crowd.
As for ashing, I try not to let mine get longer than an inch or so, so as to avoid having it end up in my lap. To get rid of the ash I normally just touch the end of it to the side of the ashtray and let it break itself off.
[Reply]
Sweet_Leaf_PDX 05:48 PM 09-11-2014
I try to keep a sense of how the ash is doing. Usually I can tell when it starts to weaken and then I will touch it to the ash tray and break it off. I’ve had some cigars hold 3 plus inches of ash solid as a rock; really just depends on the stick.

I think it’s fun to do a long ash contest during a herf.
[Reply]
WaRevo 12:38 PM 09-12-2014
I from time to time check the ash. Most now days I will let it burn until it falls on it's own and then tap it off into my Cigar ashtray or in the back 40 depending on where i am smoking it these days. And as the others have said for me it has to do with how well the cigar was constructed.

I will admit I have had some machine made cigars with crap floor crumbs last a good length before just busting off. FOR me if when it hits the ground from falling off the cigar and stays put or mostly stays together then it was a really well made cigar and Very nice and tight. machine made they just fall off to dust lol.

James

Love the Partagas Black. Just don't like they leave the dark color on my lips from time to time. Can't get enough of them :-)
[Reply]
czerbe 01:01 PM 09-12-2014
I might be in the small crowd here I like the look of a nice solid ash but I hate the look of a nice solid ash sitting in my crotch, so I ash when needed!
[Reply]
357 01:06 PM 09-12-2014
As I understand it long ashes help restrict airflow creating a cooler burning smoke; this can help prevent the bitterness that we all know a cigar gets from being too hot. YMMV
[Reply]
CdnStogie 01:06 PM 09-12-2014
I will let mine go for an inch or so and then I start flicking lightly to avoid wearing it

This is my best one thus far though

[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 01:15 PM 09-12-2014
Some people get a little self conscious about a big ash. :-)
[Reply]
357 01:37 PM 09-12-2014
Originally Posted by Ashcan Bill:
Some people get a little self conscious about a big ash. :-)
I for one like a nice round ash.
[Reply]
Up