Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Cigars got 'cooked'
Xolotal Mungin 10:00 PM 07-29-2014
Quick post about a recent problem.

A recent mini heat wave sent my humidor into ungodly temperatures, like 80-90 degrees. Anyone experience this? Will they recover with some time? Or are all my "special sticks" ruined for good?

As of now, the temp is down, but the sticks taste like crap.

A coolidor is in the works, but not in time..
[Reply]
E.J. 10:09 PM 07-29-2014
AFAIK, heat is all relative, everything is humidity? Always thought heat was related to beetles.

Interested to know if I'm wrong.
[Reply]
pnoon 10:15 PM 07-29-2014
Think about the temperatures in Cuba, the DR, and Central America.
80-90 degrees is no biggie (aside from beetles)

My :-) and worth as much.
[Reply]
T.G 12:53 AM 07-30-2014
Meh. Quite a number of cigars end up in containers on their way here to to a foreign distributor. 80-90 is nothing compared to what the inside of a shipping container gets up to if it's on deck or left out at a tropical port. Just give them some time to recover.
[Reply]
azar 09:12 AM 07-30-2014
That heat has ruined them just go ahead and send them to me and I will dispose of them for you!!:-):-) Like everyone has said they should be fine.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 09:22 AM 07-30-2014
This brings up a question, I have always wondered, if you have a super heat wave and the issue of saying the temps inside a humidor skyrocketing, would it be prudent to place the sticks in a tuperdor and then in your refrigerator? Thinking to the EMS and how cool it is when some of these sticks are stored in basements for years on end, it couldn't really hurt the sticks and might help or keep other problems such as beetle hatching from arriving, no? I say tuperdor because you want a good seal so the refrigerator doesn't dry your sticks to dust.

Just curious.
[Reply]
czerbe 09:33 AM 07-30-2014
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Think about the temperatures in Cuba, the DR, and Central America.
80-90 degrees is no biggie (aside from beetles)

My :-) and worth as much.
What he said!
[Reply]
kydsid 09:35 AM 07-30-2014
In a heat wave the last thing I would do is put my cigars in a fridge. Sure high heat and humidity may eventually ruin a cigar but a drastic and quick change in storage conditions will ruin it a lot quicker. As long as my cigars are in a environment buffered from quick changes I do not worry.

The only reason I run cooled storage is because I know that otherwise my cigar storage would be above beetle hatching temp on a regular basis. So on the outside chance of this I run coolidors. If I froze my cigars I'd not think twice about storing them at 90 degrees.
[Reply]
OLS 11:58 AM 07-30-2014
Cigars hit that when they sit on a UPS truck all day.
The real point, as I am sure was stated already, is whether or not anything hatches.
If you monitor it every day for a month or so and don't find any holes in your cigars,
I'd say you missed the worst of it.
[Reply]
Xolotal Mungin 12:53 PM 07-30-2014
Thanks for the support, everyone. I ran through the Cuba and UPS thoughts myself, but appreciate the reassurance. The humidity was fine, but you could definitely tell the flavor had changed. It'll take some patience, I guess (not my strongest suit when it comes to cigars.)
[Reply]
Up