Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Making an image larger
gettysburgfreak 08:07 AM 06-04-2014
Does anyone know how to increase an image from 57kb to over 1mb in size? I had a picture taken of my best man and myself by my wedding photographer smoking a cigar and I submitted it to CA for their moments to remember section in the back. They replied back it was a great photo but it needed to be larger in size in order for them to put it in the magazine. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:23 AM 06-04-2014
Is the picture from a digital camera or smartphone? If so, you usually have the option to specify image size / quality when you take it off the device. For exampe, when I text message a picture to someone it is a relatively low quality but if I email that same picture from my iPhone to myself or someone else, the mail app asks me to specifiy image size and I always go with the largest as it is easier to reduce an image while the converse can be a big problem.

If it is a paper photograph then you need to scan it at a high(er) resolution.
[Reply]
markem 08:27 AM 06-04-2014
Download irfanview (http://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm) and then use it to open the picture. Use control+r to resize the picture. Be sure that the check box for maintaining the aspect ratio is checked and then set the percentage to be 200 or whatever percent of the original that you want. Save and send.
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 08:50 AM 06-04-2014
Cigar nut-its from a professional camera, I guess digital?

Markem- Thanks for the tip, I will try that tonight when I get home.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 08:56 AM 06-04-2014
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak:
Cigar nut-its from a professional camera, I guess digital?

Markem- Thanks for the tip, I will try that tonight when I get home.
If from a professional camera, it's possible the photographer has the RAW image, which should be extremely large. Did he send you a jgp image?
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 09:26 AM 06-04-2014
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
If from a professional camera, it's possible the photographer has the RAW image, which should be extremely large. Did he send you a jgp image?
We were able to view all the images in an online photo gallery that the company has.
[Reply]
smokin5 09:32 AM 06-04-2014
Another fan of irfanview.
You can increase or decrease size to whatever specification you want.
Also helps with other simple editing tools.
[Reply]
G G 10:34 AM 06-04-2014
Irfanview all the way.:-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 10:49 AM 06-04-2014
We were able to view all the images in an online photo gallery that the company has.
Ah, then most likely they scaled it down to a smaller size/format for the site.
[Reply]
OLS 11:42 AM 06-04-2014
If he has online proofs up for viewing, you can bet that sizing them up will increase the size but rip the quality to shreds.
That's how they make their money. Getting you to come and see em when you need the real file. If your eventual
program that you use has a blank that says 72dpi, increasing that to 300 or 200 will also help in making the sizeup more tolerable.
[Reply]
Steve 12:10 PM 06-04-2014
Just as an FYI...if the picture was taken by a professional, and it is used in a magazine and the original photog finds out he could ask for compensation and/or photo credit. He still owns the copyright for the image (it's still his intellectual property unless he assigned it to you). As Brad says, that's how he makes his money. Back in the day, I had a couple of my images unexpectedly show up in a magazine that I had not sold them to. In my case, if someone had talked with me ahead of time, I would have been happy to allow the use of the images as long as I received photo credit. It was more costly for them by using them without my permission.

I'm not looking to stir up a huge debate right vs. wrong, or anything else, just letting ya know. It might not be a bad idea to talk to the photographer about it and see about getting the original hi-res to use.

My :-), YGWYPF!
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 12:16 PM 06-04-2014
Did they give you the dimensions they need for the magazine, that would be a good place to start.
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 12:30 PM 06-04-2014
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
Did they give you the dimensions they need for the magazine, that would be a good place to start.
They just told me it needs to be over 1mb in size. The one I sent them was only 57kb.

I spoke with the company in charge of our photographer and she was going to email him to ask him if I could get a larger size. He was a cool dude, hopefully wont mind me submitting it.
[Reply]
ColdCuts 01:45 PM 06-04-2014
Must be a great pic. How about also posting it here or on the Pictures of you smoking! thread?
[Reply]
Dave128 02:36 PM 06-04-2014
Does anyone know how to increase an image from 57kb to over 1mb in size?
Show it a naked picture of Mila Kunis.
[Reply]
ColdCuts 02:58 PM 06-04-2014
Originally Posted by Dave128:
Show it a naked picture of Mila Kunis.
:-) :-)
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 05:09 PM 06-04-2014
[quote=gettysburgfreak;1966619]They just told me it needs to be over 1mb in size. The one I sent them was only 57kb.

I spoke with the company in charge of our photographer and she was going to email him to ask him if I could get a larger size. He was a cool dude, hopefully wont mind me submitting it.[/QUOTE

Have him put a little watermark of his studio name one of the bottom corners will be thrilled
[Reply]
Steve 05:52 AM 06-05-2014
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
They just told me it needs to be over 1mb in size. The one I sent them was only 57kb.

I spoke with the company in charge of our photographer and she was going to email him to ask him if I could get a larger size. He was a cool dude, hopefully wont mind me submitting it.[/QUOTE

Have him put a little watermark of his studio name one of the bottom corners will be thrilled
:-):-)
[Reply]
Up