Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Meeting Jonathon Drew
Toombes 05:20 AM 05-24-2014
Wednesday afternoon I had the opportunity to attend a Drew Estate's event at a somewhat local B&M. I'm hanging out on the patio with a friend and my cousin when none other than Jonathon Drew himself walks out. When he sees us, which wasn't difficult since we were the only people on the patio, he comes over to shake our hands, give us a bro-hug and ask our names. He then comments on the blaze orange Kentucky Fire Cured shirt I'm wearing and launches into a discussion on why he picked that particular color.
Now, if you didn't know who Jonathon Drew is and he walked into the lounge you would think he's just a regular Joe in a funky hat coming to have a smoke. He's one of the nicest, most down to earth and sincere people I've ever met. He took us back inside for a smoke, clipped the cigar, toasted it and held the lighter so we could get a good burn. After a few minutes of gum flapping he reaches under the counter and pours us all a glass of bourbon. Can't get much better than this!
I then reach into the cargo pocket of my shorts and produce a Redneck Mafia sticker to hand him. He was like a kid at Christmas and immediately placed it on the end of his Marshall amp that he's blasting reggae through. Next thing I know, he's handing me a Subculture Studios hat that he had just signed.
The rest of the evening consisted of good conversation, some jokes and Jonathon answering virtually any question that was asked of him. As a bonus, I got to hang out and chat with his Dad who insisted on being called Baitfish Gary. Another DE associate who was along for the ride also clued me in on some Super Secret Squirrel happenings within the company.
All in all it was a great experience and I hope to do it again in the near future. Here are a few pictures.

I'm the guy in the back next to Jonathon.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 06:33 AM 05-24-2014
Pretty cool.
[Reply]
irratebass 07:50 AM 05-24-2014
He is a helluva guy, I met him last year and he talked to me for 30 mins to 45 mins. Glad you got to meet him.....thanks for sharing
[Reply]
Brian D. 07:51 AM 05-24-2014
Toombes, don't know where that herf was held, but one day before the DE gang was holding court at a big event in northern Kentucky, just across the river from Cincinnati. They do get around. Didn't surprise me that they added some extra, really great prizes to the raffle, because the turnout exceeded their expectations. That's how they roll.

The last two years I've attended the Tweetup in Chattanooga, they have been in attendance, and among some of the most enjoyable makers to spend time with.
[Reply]
kelmac07 08:53 AM 05-24-2014
Thanks for sharing.
[Reply]
CRIMPS 09:05 AM 05-24-2014
Neat story. Sounds like that was a lot of fun!
[Reply]
Toombes 09:34 AM 05-24-2014
Originally Posted by Brian D.:
Toombes, don't know where that herf was held, but one day before the DE gang was holding court at a big event in northern Kentucky, just across the river from Cincinnati. They do get around. Didn't surprise me that they added some extra, really great prizes to the raffle, because the turnout exceeded their expectations. That's how they roll.

The last two years I've attended the Tweetup in Chattanooga, they have been in attendance, and among some of the most enjoyable makers to spend time with.
Brian, it was at Schwab's Pipes and Stuff in Lexington. They through in a ton of extras for the raffles once they got on a roll. Great times were had by all.
[Reply]
Dude Here 09:52 AM 05-24-2014
Looks really cool, thanks for sharing!
[Reply]
T.G 09:55 AM 05-24-2014
Jon is a genuinely good guy, glad you got a chance to meet him.
[Reply]
Toombes 01:12 PM 05-24-2014
Thanks, guys. He was super cool and I hope to be able to meet him again along with some of the other owners/blenders.
[Reply]
Up