Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Navigating NC cigars
nutcracker 05:43 PM 05-10-2014
I've been lucky enough to try many of the CC marcas and think I can make decent choices of a flavour profile to pair with mood, food or drink. The other islands are another matter.

There seem to be thousands of cigars out there. I've tried the high end ones, and enjoyed a few more modestly price offerings.

Can you folk guide me as to what would be a reasonable approach to trying the NCC's out? Are there broad categories? I've discovered some nice maduros, and do enjoy the complexity in the Padron 1966. Where to next?

Regards

Neil
[Reply]
Remo 05:54 PM 05-10-2014
Not sure what your tastes are but Pepin blends a variety of smokes for a variety of makers, it is hard to go wrong with any Pepin smokes, IMO. And he blends for most of the big names in the industry.
[Reply]
CigarNut 06:17 PM 05-10-2014
Originally Posted by Remo:
Not sure what your tastes are but Pepin blends a variety of smokes for a variety of makers, it is hard to go wrong with any Pepin smokes, IMO. And he blends for most of the big names in the industry.
:-) :-)
[Reply]
Dude Here 06:41 PM 05-10-2014
Originally Posted by Remo:
X2 on this.

A.J. Fernandez is another solid blender in the industry worth checking out.
[Reply]
kelmac07 06:44 PM 05-10-2014
Did you say you've discovered some nice maduros?? Here's a nice list of some delicious maduros. :-) :-)

http://http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb...postcount=1974
[Reply]
Remo 07:44 PM 05-10-2014
Originally Posted by Dude Here:
X2 on this.

A.J. Fernandez is another solid blender in the industry worth checking out.
X2 on AJ also :-)
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 07:53 PM 05-10-2014
Originally Posted by nutcracker:
Where to next? Regards Neil
I would think it would be to your advantage to keep in memory the core flavor profile(s) that you are enjoying from your CC', and then:

1. Read some of the reviews in our NC area named "Island (the other ones) Reviews.

2. This is always a good site for cigar reviews:

http://cigarfan.net/

I've always found the reviews here to be of substance and depth in making a decision on a particular stick to try out.

Good luck Neil:-)
[Reply]
Brlesq 07:56 PM 05-10-2014
Tatueje makes some nice cigars, especially anything with the CTBL wrapper. Definitely not like a CC, but still wonderful.

If you want to try some NCs similar to CCs, then try a few from the Curivari lineup.
[Reply]
nutcracker 08:50 PM 05-10-2014
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Did you say you've discovered some nice maduros?? Here's a nice list of some delicious maduros. :-) :-)

http://http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb...postcount=1974
Hi Mac - the link is dead....
[Reply]
montecristo#2 09:23 PM 05-10-2014
I would probably take a slightly different approach.

I would try puros from the different countries to see if you prefer a certain type of tobacco and then start trying the different wrappers.

To me, there is a strong difference in flavor between a Nicaraguan puro and a Dominican puro. If it turns out you prefer one over the other, you can start to narrow down the choices. For example, let's say you end up preferring Nicaraguan puros, then you can try Nicaraguan binder and filler with a broadleaf wrapper to see if you like those as well.

For me dominicans are now too strong after smoking CCs. So I tend to prefer mild to medium Nicaraguans when I go NC.

Also, I know several CC smokers who will not nose exhale NCs, I have heard it burns. Never tried myself. lol
[Reply]
kelmac07 09:50 PM 05-10-2014
Originally Posted by nutcracker:
Hi Mac - the link is dead....
Neil, try this one. :-)

www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1951973&postcount=1974
[Reply]
benchjockey 09:45 AM 05-11-2014

Great list. Very helpful.
[Reply]
nutcracker 10:11 AM 05-11-2014
Originally Posted by montecristo#2:
I would probably take a slightly different approach.

I would try puros from the different countries to see if you prefer a certain type of tobacco and then start trying the different wrappers.

To me, there is a strong difference in flavor between a Nicaraguan puro and a Dominican puro. If it turns out you prefer one over the other, you can start to narrow down the choices. For example, let's say you end up preferring Nicaraguan puros, then you can try Nicaraguan binder and filler with a broadleaf wrapper to see if you like those as well.

For me dominicans are now too strong after smoking CCs. So I tend to prefer mild to medium Nicaraguans when I go NC.

Also, I know several CC smokers who will not nose exhale NCs, I have heard it burns. Never tried myself. lol

What a fantastic idea. Seems like a more scientific approach than my current shotgun approach of trying anything and everything. A more directed approach suits my scientific mind (assuming that is I still have one)

Thx!

Neil
[Reply]
nutcracker 10:13 AM 05-11-2014

Wow. That's quite the list!
[Reply]
baust55 01:10 PM 06-06-2014
LOTS OF GOOD INFO HERE

Austin
[Reply]
RobR1205 06:07 PM 06-06-2014
Tatuaje has almost never let me down as a NC. I enjoy and highly recommend anything made by Padron, Arturo Fuente, Pepin, and Drew Estate/Liga Privada (except Acids and the other flavored sticks he's come out with)

Drew Estate (particularly the Liga line) and some Tats tends to be on the pricier side, but you can certainly find some regular line Fuentes and Padrons (Padron "x000" series & Arturo Fuente "green/black band") for reasonable prices and consistent quality.
[Reply]
CRIMPS 08:34 PM 06-06-2014
I am still trying to figure out how to navigate NCs. I find it almost frustrating sometimes.

I have had better luck finding blenders as Remo recommended. I will try new smokes, but I think about this a little differently. Unless I am completely blown away, I'm not investing a lot into it. My funds are usually spent on a focused few brands.

Reading what users prefer here probably isn't what the OP is really looking for. If it were, he could read darn near any post on the forums to get that I would guess. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
airtrade 04:25 PM 06-07-2014
Sometimes I go back to an old favorite from 5 or more years ago and find I no longer care for it.:-)
[Reply]
Up