Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Cigar aromas...
badbriar 07:54 PM 04-17-2014
Anyone else here like to take the occasional whiff of their cigar after it's toasted, warm and have a good ash developing? Some of my favorites have the best aroma when they are burning well. Not talking about the smoke off the foot, but the aroma of the warm barrel of the stick. Interesting that each cigar has a unique aroma that can be completely different from the flavors. A couple of sticks with outstanding aromas are Cusano 18 Paired Maduro, Oliva V and La Aroma De Cuba Mi Amor Reserva. Awesome! :-)
[Reply]
Ogre 08:08 PM 04-17-2014
I have not, but will give it a try.
[Reply]
stevef2005 08:24 PM 04-17-2014
Same here. I will have to give it a try next time I light up.
[Reply]
irratebass 07:06 AM 04-18-2014
I've done it a few times with other people's smokes, but not my own too much.
[Reply]
CoffeeWaterBeer 08:18 AM 04-18-2014
I've done this from time to time, not every stick but I'm now wondering why not. You're right though Rob, some sticks have a euphoric aroma. RoMa craft comes right to mind as one of my favs.
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:20 AM 04-18-2014
I have done this without really thinking about it -- but now I am going to try to be more thoughtful when I do it.
[Reply]
badbriar 09:06 PM 05-17-2014
Just had a T52 this afternoon with a superb coffee and found the aroma of the heated cigar body was one of the most alluring I've encountered. Smell those cigars - it definitely enhances the total experience! :-)
[Reply]
mikesr1963 12:08 PM 05-18-2014
The sweetest tastes of a cigar are within the first 10 drags you take off it. After that, it rarely gets better. If it stays consistent to the end from there it's a very enjoyable experience and the smoker has a great deal to do with which way that experience goes.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 03:01 PM 05-18-2014
Originally Posted by mikesr1963:
The sweetest tastes of a cigar are within the first 10 drags you take off it. After that, it rarely gets better. If it stays consistent to the end from there it's a very enjoyable experience and the smoker has a great deal to do with which way that experience goes.
I've actually found that some of the sweetest flavors are either mid-point or toward the end of sticks, I actually find cigars get better (for the most part) as they go, you tend to lose the spice and pepper after the first drags in my opinion, than again cigars are different for everyone, as long as you enjoy smoking what you're smoking that's all that matters.
[Reply]
pnoon 03:28 PM 05-18-2014
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
I've actually found that some of the sweetest flavors are either mid-point or toward the end of sticks, I actually find cigars get better (for the most part) as they go, you tend to lose the spice and pepper after the first drags in my opinion, than again cigars are different for everyone, as long as you enjoy smoking what you're smoking that's all that matters.
I agree.
I am more intrigued by a complex cigar that changes flavors/profile as you smoke.
[Reply]
Remo 03:31 PM 05-18-2014
Huh??? Fine cigars usual change flavors throughout the smoke, you may need to change your sticks Mike...my .02. To me the 1st 10 drags are the worst, after that it should get better.
[Reply]
baust55 04:14 PM 05-18-2014
I have done this

austin
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 07:04 PM 05-18-2014
Originally Posted by Remo:
Huh??? Fine cigars usual change flavors throughout the smoke, you may need to change your sticks Mike...my .02. To me the 1st 10 drags are the worst, after that it should get better.
:-)

When smoking a cigar I haven't tried before I try not to even start forming an opinion until I'm >1/2" in.
[Reply]
mikesr1963 07:57 PM 05-18-2014
I find that the further up the cigar I go, the tobacco closest to your mouth is coated with nicotine and tar in liquid form. The tobacco isn't dry and the instant heat actually makes it sweat more as it's smoked. You can actually feel it when you roll the cigar in your fingers as you smoke it. The further I go up the cigar the more it's like smoking a soggy cigarette filter instead of sweet tobacco. I hear so many talk about the pepperyness but I've never tasted pepper. If I pull to hard on a cigar the smoke tends to over heat and I get a pepper like burn on my tongue but that's about it. I don't find it pleasant tasting at all. In fact, from there IMO you may have ruined the cigar; soon after it will get bitter and will continue to intensify. Cigars I enjoy regularly and can smoke at least half way, maybe a little past it are Montecristo Classics, Macanudo Maduros, Flathead 552's, CAO Vintage Golds. Anything else I've tried is hit or miss.
[Reply]
kgoings 07:58 PM 05-18-2014
I do this all the time, I love the aromas!
[Reply]
Remo 07:59 PM 05-18-2014
I do smell my cigar all the time :-)
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 10:52 AM 05-19-2014
I find that the further up the cigar I go, the tobacco closest to your mouth is coated with nicotine and tar in liquid form. The tobacco isn't dry and the instant heat actually makes it sweat more as it's smoked. You can actually feel it when you roll the cigar in your fingers as you smoke it. The further I go up the cigar the more it's like smoking a soggy cigarette filter instead of sweet tobacco. I hear so many talk about the pepperyness but I've never tasted pepper. If I pull to hard on a cigar the smoke tends to over heat and I get a pepper like burn on my tongue but that's about it. I don't find it pleasant tasting at all. In fact, from there IMO you may have ruined the cigar; soon after it will get bitter and will continue to intensify. Cigars I enjoy regularly and can smoke at least half way, maybe a little past it are Montecristo Classics, Macanudo Maduros, Flathead 552's, CAO Vintage Golds. Anything else I've tried is hit or miss.
Just curious Mike what RH do you store your cigars at, don't know if it makes a difference, mine are usually around 62% RH, some people think that's pretty dry to smoke at but I find it works out p and I haven't really found the issues you've found, granted all cigars are different, also do you tend to smoke them with a faster or slower, now I'm just really curious.

Edit: and the peppery part isn't that tannic nasty gooey taste, more of a peppery (like a black pepper) quality that doesn't usually last long, Partagás usually have that quality at the start.

a
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 11:03 AM 05-19-2014
I find that the further up the cigar I go....

To each their own I guess but I have never found this to be the case with the cigars I smoke. Maybe we are just smoking different cigars or maybe our palate's are just that much different however, the majority of cigars that I enjoy smoking have a depth and a complexity that continues throughout the entirety of the cigar. I cannot think of an instance where I found the most enjoyment out of the first 10 puffs off a smoke. But again, apparently our experiences differ significantly. :-)
[Reply]
stearns 11:08 AM 05-19-2014
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX:
To each their own I guess but I have never found this to be the case with the cigars I smoke. Maybe we are just smoking different cigars or maybe our palate's are just that much different however, the majority of cigars that I enjoy smoking have a depth and a complexity that continues throughout the entirety of the cigar. I cannot think of an instance where I found the most enjoyment out of the first 10 puffs off a smoke. But again, apparently our experiences differ significantly. :-)
:-)

If I smoked a cigar where the best part was in the first 10 puffs, I would never waste my time smoking that cigar again
[Reply]
CRIMPS 11:31 AM 05-19-2014
Try purging your cigars once you are starting to get that wet, tar, and tanic taste when smoking non-cuban cigars.

Also, try some other cigars.
[Reply]
Up