Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Wind screens
jhedrick83 09:11 PM 02-25-2014
I'm looking for some advice from those of you who smoke on patios or screened porches. I can't smoke in the house so I usually end up on our screened porch, which is exposed on 3 sides and can get extremely windy ( it sits up high and there aren't many trees around). Do any of you all have suggestions for windscreens/breaks that work well for you?
[Reply]
equetefue 07:48 AM 02-26-2014
at home depot/lowes they sell rollup type blinds of various lengths and width. They are made of faux wood so they are aesthetically pleasing.
[Reply]
Dude Here 10:29 AM 02-26-2014
Originally Posted by equetefue:
at home depot/lowes they sell rollup type blinds of various lengths and width. They are made of faux wood so they are aesthetically pleasing.
My folks have these on their patio and they work great for blocking sun. Not so much for wind though.

I'm in sort of the same boat as the OP though. My patio is completely open, no screens or anything. Fortunately, on inclement weather days I can smoke in the garage. Is that an option?
[Reply]
Heavy_d 04:54 PM 02-26-2014
Yeah, I'd definitely be interested in some ideas. I'm in the same boat with the open porch.
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 05:48 PM 02-26-2014
Maybe a wind break that's meant for the beach? You could anchor it with some sand bags and move it around.
[Reply]
TJtorpedo 06:27 PM 02-26-2014
This might sound lame, but have you tried different sitting configurations? Maybe there's a dead spot on your patio or a certain direction that the prevailing winds blow, in which you can avoid.

My other idea is setting up a Japanese style screen. You might have to anchor it somehow if the wind is bad enough, but it would be cool to get all Zen out there!
[Reply]
jhedrick83 08:28 PM 02-26-2014
Originally Posted by Dude Here:
My folks have these on their patio and they work great for blocking sun. Not so much for wind though.

I'm in sort of the same boat as the OP though. My patio is completely open, no screens or anything. Fortunately, on inclement weather days I can smoke in the garage. Is that an option?
Sadly the garage isn't an option. I guess it technically it is, but by the time I get home I'm worn out and I would have to pull my car or my wife's out to have room to sit and then possibly hear about the smell the next day. Besides I love the view from my porch and I have a fireplace out there that really makes it great for smoking and relaxing. But when it is cold and the wind really cranks up you almost have to sit in the fire to stay warm.
[Reply]
jhedrick83 08:32 PM 02-26-2014
Originally Posted by TJtorpedo:
This might sound lame, but have you tried different sitting configurations? Maybe there's a dead spot on your patio or a certain direction that the prevailing winds blow, in which you can avoid.

My other idea is setting up a Japanese style screen. You might have to anchor it somehow if the wind is bad enough, but it would be cool to get all Zen out there!
Unfortunately I have tried and there is not good spot, it's too high and exposed.
[Reply]
Dude Here 09:26 PM 02-26-2014
Originally Posted by jhedrick83:
Sadly the garage isn't an option. I guess it technically it is, but by the time I get home I'm worn out and I would have to pull my car or my wife's out to have room to sit and then possibly hear about the smell the next day. Besides I love the view from my porch and I have a fireplace out there that really makes it great for smoking and relaxing. But when it is cold and the wind really cranks up you almost have to sit in the fire to stay warm.
Fireplace? Awesome.

Hmmmm, I really can't think of anything else to help you aside from just enclosing whatever side the wind hits the most. Probably not the most ideal solution though.
[Reply]
jhedrick83 05:39 AM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by Dude Here:
Fireplace? Awesome.

Hmmmm, I really can't think of anything else to help you aside from just enclosing whatever side the wind hits the most. Probably not the most ideal solution though.
Yeah, I'm trying to find a slightly more cost effective solution, leaves more money for more cigars!!!!
[Reply]
Sweet_Leaf_PDX 04:49 PM 02-27-2014
perhaps you could find some sort of 3 sided pop-up shelter. If you could secure it to your deck/patio somehow it would provide a barrier from moderate winds. I would not try to set one up in high winds. This was one of the first things that came up on Amazon but there are probably better things out there.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Road-T...rds=beach+tent
[Reply]
jhedrick83 04:52 PM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by Sweet_Leaf_PDX:
perhaps you could find some sort of 3 sided pop-up shelter. If you could secure it to your deck/patio somehow it would provide a barrier from moderate winds. I would not try to set one up in high winds. This was one of the first things that came up on Amazon but there are probably better things out there.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Road-T...rds=beach+tent
Not a bad option! :-)
[Reply]
markem 05:12 PM 02-27-2014
If you want a free-standing three-sided shelter and have 10x10 worth of room, an EZ-UP with side walls is the way to go. look here: http://www.ezupdirect.com/
[Reply]
Heavy_d 08:10 PM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by TJtorpedo:

I like the idea of the Japanese screens and setting up a zen area to enjoy a cigar.
[Reply]
Up