Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Cigar History
jhedrick83 08:35 PM 02-04-2014
I'm hoping you guys can make some recommendations. I'm looking for some books that would be pretty comprehensive on the history of cigars, companies, factories, strains, personalities, etc. I'm not really looking for the usual cursory "guide" to cigars, I want something more in-depth. Does what I'm looking for even exist?
[Reply]
MrClean 09:03 PM 02-04-2014
Jesse - This probably isn't what you're looking for exactly, but I thought it was some good information/read. http://altadisusa.com/cigar-101
[Reply]
meatcake 09:07 PM 02-04-2014
Jesse- hit up your local Half Price book store. They tend to have at least 10 to 20 books about cigars and cigar history mixed in with the cooking books and hobby stuff. I found quiet a few there myself that were very interesting and only a few bucks!
[Reply]
jhedrick83 09:12 PM 02-04-2014
Jeff- I had seen that before, a good source of info but I am wanting more in depth.

Good idea Brandon, I'll have to see what I can find. I just didn't know if there were any books you all recommend specifically.
[Reply]
T.G 10:02 PM 02-04-2014
While there are others that are more in-depth, I've found these two to be good references that go beyond the basic level which most books stop at, while still being reasonable to understand.

For general history:
The Cigar Connoisseur: An Illustrated History and Guide to the World's Finest Cigars by Nathaniel Lande
For tobacco history:
Cuban Cigar Tobacco: Why Cuban Cigars Are the World's Best by Eumelio Espino Marrero
[Reply]
TFed 11:03 PM 02-04-2014
This may not be perfect but is a great start. http://www.amazon.com/Tobacco-Cultur...obacco+history

I am now starting joel sherman's book which promises to be what you are asking about. But, i cant say yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Nat-Shermans-P...=cigar+history
[Reply]
icehog3 11:21 PM 02-04-2014
Originally Posted by T.G:
While there are others that are more in-depth, I've found these two to be good references that go beyond the basic level which most books stop at, while still being reasonable to understand.

For general history:
The Cigar Connoisseur: An Illustrated History and Guide to the World's Finest Cigars by Nathaniel Lande
For tobacco history:
Cuban Cigar Tobacco: Why Cuban Cigars Are the World's Best by Eumelio Espino Marrero
You forgot Dick Hacker's book, Adam. :-)
[Reply]
Sweet_Leaf_PDX 12:47 PM 02-05-2014
I was given a book called “The Cigar Makers of Nicaragua” for a gift over the holidays and found it to be an interesting read.

The book has a forward by Jonathan Drew, and Drew Estates sells the book on their website, but it has a good general history of cigars made in the Estelí region of Nicaragua.
[Reply]
AUguy 07:12 PM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by MrClean:
Jesse - This probably isn't what you're looking for exactly, but I thought it was some good information/read. http://altadisusa.com/cigar-101
The videos on that site were great. Does anyone know of any documentaries on cigar production?
[Reply]
bobarian 07:26 PM 02-12-2014
Tons of videos on Youtube. Google is your friend. :-)
[Reply]
YankeeMan 06:33 AM 02-13-2014
Originally Posted by camarun:
I think if you find your nearest library with a good cigar history book then you can found better solution about history of cigar. Or you can check Wikipedia for cigar history...
With Wikipedia, be careful with what they say. Check their sources on the bottom of the page. I don't let my students use Wikipedia as a source because there is no verification on the material presented. Anyone can add material and "facts" and they are there for other searchers to see and the info can be complete false or made up.

Sometimes they use good sources (listed at the bottom of the page) and you can use them to get the info you want.
[Reply]
jhedrick83 09:00 AM 02-13-2014
Yeah, I'm not really looking for videos as I want something I can read in bed. I don't really consider Wikipedia a reliable source of anything.
[Reply]
Up