Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>my hectic life
mmblz 10:44 PM 12-16-2008
So, we moved a few weeks ago.
I've had lots of thoughts about this whole period of time but haven't expressed them yet. Finally things have settled down enough that I think I can.

We listed our condo in clearly the worst market of the past x number of years. We listed it ourselves since we could get it on MLS and didn't see the benefit of paying a seller's agent 2.5%. Huge stress as the market started to tumble almost exactly as we finally had the place ready and on the market. Slow activity made us question our decision to do it ourselves, but we still felt that was more the market than anything. Immense stress over whether we would sell at all, or at what price. Pressure from switching from 2 incomes, 1 mortage to 1 income, 2 mortgages.

Finally found a buyer and everything started to happen very fast. They made an offer 4 hours after seeing it for the first time. We ultimately closed about 1 month after that day. Days and days became weeks of packing. We got "almost done" by thanksgiving, then I flew back alone to finish up - which turned out to be a series of late nights and little sleep.

Worked right up to when the movers arrived but did get everything finished. Was left with an evening with nothing to do but wait to leave the next day. Circumstances worked out and I drove out to have a couple cigars with Tom. I like seeing my BOTLs - isn't frequent enough. Was finally able to just relax and unwind, in great company. The next day I had to pack up a small subset of what had been in the house, put it in a 15' truck (which was way bigger than necessary), and start driving east. More annoying tasks took longer than expected, and when I finally got out of town, I lit up a Mag 50 that Tom gave me the night before, and thoroughly enjoyed it as I tried not to think about how wide the truck was and who I might hit. For the first leg of the journey it was my only cigar, on the theory that I could drive faster with both hands free.

Circumstances worked out again - I left way too late to make the drive in one day and Dave offered that I should stop in OH in the middle of the trip. Unfortunately I got in late so had all too short a time with Dave, Sam, and Todd, but any amount of time is better than none. More relaxation and great company. The next day I was pretty used to the truck - so much that it seemed oddly almost like driving a car. Took advantage of good weather and a pretty boring drive to smoke 3 or 4 cigars, and turned an awful trip into a mildly enjoyable, or at least tolerable one.

So, we're finally here and able to get back to a more normal life, and thank god that the last chapter turned out how it did...
All around though, cigars and friends were able to provide bright spots in an otherwise miserable week..

:-)
[Reply]
MithShrike 10:53 PM 12-16-2008
Hope your settling in goes a little smoother than your getting out.
[Reply]
68TriShield 07:04 AM 12-17-2008
I'm glad you got to meet up with the guys Julian,if only for a short while.

Now that you're on the coast,LMK when you want to meet up :-)
[Reply]
replicant_argent 07:08 AM 12-17-2008
Congrats on the safe trip, and appropriate rest stops. :-) I hope settling in goes smoothly and you are able to get back in the groove quickly.:-)
[Reply]
ahc4353 07:24 AM 12-17-2008
Good to hear you made it through Julian. I moved seven times in fourteen years. Moving sucks!
[Reply]
Da Klugs 07:34 AM 12-17-2008
It was great to be able to see you on your journey. Glad the stress level has been temporarily reduced. Now on to the house construction project... :-).
[Reply]
Scottw 07:38 AM 12-17-2008
Good luck with the rest of the move, hopefully it goes as smooth as possible.
[Reply]
mmblz 07:39 AM 12-17-2008
Originally Posted by Da Klugs:
It was great to be able to see you on your journey. Glad the stress level has been temporarily reduced. Now on to the house construction project... :-).
thanks again for having me, and for the bed and cigar! wish it could have been more leisurely.

yeah - they are trying to pour foundation in between cold spells and snow storms
:-)
[Reply]
Starscream 08:36 AM 12-17-2008
Here's to all the best, Julian. Hope the rest goes smooth for you.
[Reply]
Resipsa 08:39 AM 12-17-2008
Glad things are smoothing out Julian! congrats on the sale.
[Reply]
The Professor 08:43 AM 12-17-2008
good luck with everything, Julian. you never know ... I might be up in the NE soon, too. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 09:10 AM 12-17-2008
I was so glad we were able to get together before you left, Julian, it meant a lot to me. I am sad that you are so far away now, but so happy for the new opportunities it affords you, Marisa and Malena, and that things are getting back to some sense of normalcy for you now. :-)
[Reply]
Mugen910 09:19 AM 12-17-2008
I can't wait till you get to NH!!!!:-):-)
[Reply]
markem 09:32 AM 12-17-2008
Glad the ordeal is over and that you had the opportunity to spend some quality time with quality BOTLs along the way, Julian. Here's hoping that the worst of it is all over and that everything is smooth sailing from here. :-)
[Reply]
mmblz 12:01 PM 12-17-2008
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I was so glad we were able to get together before you left, Julian, it meant a lot to me. I am sad that you are so far away now, but so happy for the new opportunities it affords you, Marisa and Malena, and that things are getting back to some sense of normalcy for you now. :-)
Meant a lot to me as well Tom - if my neighbor hadn't stepped up I was ready to rent a car in order to make it out there... Thanks for everything, as always!
[Reply]
TripleF 12:05 PM 12-17-2008
Cigars & friends......now there's money every time!! :-)
[Reply]
ToddziLLa 04:04 PM 12-17-2008
Glad to hear you got there alright Julian! It was nice seeing you, if only for a cigar or two. Glad we could give you a temporary lapse in the recent stresses! Take care brother.
[Reply]
icehog3 05:13 PM 12-17-2008
Originally Posted by mmblz:
Meant a lot to me as well Tom - if my neighbor hadn't stepped up I was ready to rent a car in order to make it out there... Thanks for everything, as always!
Looking forward to the next time, My Friend. :-)
[Reply]
floydp 05:26 PM 12-17-2008
Great news Julian. Now hopefully everything can get back to normal for you folks. Its nice when things work out. Hanging with the fellers for a bit sure does make things more tolerable.
[Reply]
Up