Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Store manager jumps into truck with beer thieves, goes for wild ride
cjhalbrooks 07:55 AM 12-31-2013
This is dedication to a job

TITUSVILLE, Fla. —
A Titusville Walmart manager had an unexpected ride down Interstate 95 in the back of a truck after he tried to stop a man and woman he suspected of shoplifting beer late Monday afternoon.

The manager, Mike Dawson, told Channel 9 that he noticed the pair leaving the store with a shopping cart containing beer.

He said when he asked for a receipt, the two headed for their truck.

"I had asked them for a receipt and they kept throwing beers into their car," said Dawson.

As the two began to back up and leave the parking lot, Dawson said he was forced to jump into the back of the truck.

"I ran up to get their license plate, but when I realized how close I was, I jumped in the back so they didn't run me over, " Dawson said.

The truck traveled along several streets and at high speeds down I-95.

Dawson said the two stopped the truck twice.

"One time they tried to beat me up and I lost my glasses. The second time was in the back woods somewhere, I was like, 'I'm not getting out for you to run me over,'" said Dawson.

Dawson said he used the only thing he could to try to get someone's attention – the stolen beer.

"I kept throwing beers from the back of the truck, not at people's cars but towards people's cars, hoping that someone would call the police," said Dawson.

Witness Dave Stewart said he saw the truck turn down a remote road in the Canaveral Groves area.

"Well, I just saw all the beers alongside the road," said Stewart.

Stewart said as he caught up to the truck, it stopped. He said he had his gun on his hip, ready to use.

He told the driver of the truck that he had called the sheriff.

"The gentleman in the back got out, and as soon as he did, the other guy jumps into the pickup truck and just leaves," said Stewart.

Dawson said the man who stole the beer had a tattoo on his chest that read either 1987 or 1997. The pickup truck was blue with LH as the first letters on the license plate.

Investigators are still looking for the pair. They said they are checking to see if they are the same couple believed to have stolen beer from a Palm Bay Walmart recently.
[Reply]
G G 07:57 AM 12-31-2013
In this crazy world we live in he will probably get fired.
[Reply]
cjhalbrooks 08:04 AM 12-31-2013
and given a tiacket for littering
[Reply]
G G 08:04 AM 12-31-2013
:-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 08:09 AM 12-31-2013
Only in Florida. :-) :-)
[Reply]
Ogre 08:15 AM 12-31-2013
He will be fired. Walmart fired an employee for helping a lady that was being assaulted in the parking lot. Walmart stated that he should not have put himself in a position that he may get hurt.
[Reply]
cjhalbrooks 08:17 AM 12-31-2013
The real question is Larry so what year is tattooed on your chest 1997 or 1987???
[Reply]
Ogre 08:18 AM 12-31-2013
Originally Posted by cjhalbrooks:
The real question is Larry so what year is tattooed on your chest 1997 or 1987???
:-):-)
[Reply]
G G 08:22 AM 12-31-2013
Originally Posted by Ogre:
He will be fired. Walmart fired an employee for helping a lady that was being assaulted in the parking lot. Walmart stated that he should not have put himself in a position that he may get hurt.
Yep, they would rather he have let the old woman be beat to death than help. Awesome.
[Reply]
Subvet642 09:11 AM 12-31-2013
Originally Posted by G G:
Yep, they would rather he have let the old woman be beat to death than help. Awesome.
As for myself, let someone fire me; I don't watch anyone get hurt and not do something. Fortunately, "doing something" is the kind of work I do. You can thank all of the attorneys that fill most state legislatures for the liability laws that practically mandate what we're seeing. A lot of places have "Good Samaritan" laws but businesses are held to a higher legal standard than an individual; the company being held liable for everything their employees do while "on the clock", even if they do it to themselves. On the other hand, if businesses were shielded in the same manner as an individual, people might believe that businesses were being given an improper break. :-)
[Reply]
G G 09:32 AM 12-31-2013
I agree Darren, I wouldn't be able to stand by and do nothing.
[Reply]
cjhalbrooks 09:36 AM 12-31-2013
+2
[Reply]
emopunker2004 10:16 AM 12-31-2013
Originally Posted by G G:
In this crazy world we live in he will probably get fired.
Especially since it's Walmart....
[Reply]
shilala 10:36 AM 12-31-2013
Not in a million years would I risk getting a boo boo because someone was stealing beer from Walmart. I don't care if they were loading building and all in the back of the truck. I might even help them if they ask nicely.
[Reply]
G G 10:40 AM 12-31-2013
I doubt I would have either Scott. But an assault is a different thing altogether.
[Reply]
Up