Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>LED lights
markem 08:52 AM 11-25-2013
We recently replaced one of our kitchen flood lights (br30) with a CREE daylight LED; we also replaced one regular bulb with a CREE daylight LED. For us, they are amazing since Oregon be a bit dark this time of year. I have ordered 20 of each and will be replacing all 12 floods in the kitchen and the regular bulbs in several places in the house, particularly the computer rooms.

Anyone else done this? The coating on the Cree floods reduces so much of the glare that we get from the compact fluorescent ones that are in there now. Reduced glare and a little brighter light is worth it for me to spend the dosh to change them all now.
[Reply]
tsolomon 09:00 AM 11-25-2013
Originally Posted by markem:
We recently replaced one of our kitchen flood lights (br30) with a CREE daylight LED; we also replaced one regular bulb with a CREE daylight LED. For us, they are amazing since Oregon be a bit dark this time of year. I have ordered 20 of each and will be replacing all 12 floods in the kitchen and the regular bulbs in several places in the house, particularly the computer rooms.

Anyone else done this? The coating on the Cree floods reduces so much of the glare that we get from the compact fluorescent ones that are in there now. Reduced glare and a little brighter light is worth it for me to spend the dosh to change them all now.
I replaced all floods in our kitchen with LEDs and the change is great. They are brighter, but dimable and they are much cooler to work under. Got them at Costco and they had a really good rebate, I think the brand is Feit.
[Reply]
MrClean 09:00 AM 11-25-2013
I replaced my outside fixtures (1 halogen 1 standard flood) with LED fixtures, I really like the difference they make and since they are motion sensored, they come on quite a bit with all the critters roaming around outside.

We are slowly starting to replace the flood lights downstairs as the current bulbs burn out.
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:34 AM 11-25-2013
Have started replacing our floods with LED; not a CREE but another brand -- I went for the highest lumens (830) I could find in a PAR30 LED Flood. Nice thing is that it looks looks like a regular incandescent bulb.
[Reply]
jledou 09:52 AM 11-25-2013
I have started the change to LEDs and I have been pleased with them so far.
[Reply]
pnoon 09:54 AM 11-25-2013
Do these need a special fixture?
Or is it just a different type of lamp?
[Reply]
Gabe215 10:19 AM 11-25-2013
I'm an electrician and LED is the way to go, max brightness and you will def notice a drop in your electric bill as well they are very energy efficient!
[Reply]
tsolomon 10:29 AM 11-25-2013
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Do these need a special fixture?
Or is it just a different type of lamp?
Standard fixture, they are just so much better than CFL.
[Reply]
pnoon 11:30 AM 11-25-2013
Originally Posted by tsolomon:
Standard fixture, they are just so much better than CFL.
Thanks, Tom.
[Reply]
WeekendSmoker 11:40 AM 11-25-2013
I started to replace my incandescent and CFLs with LEDs and have been careful about the color temp and CRI. So far lights, certainly compared to CFLs more pleasant and my electric bill has gone down by about 60%.
When I ran the numbers on the difference in power consumption and took a good look at my bill and noticed that I get charged 11c per kwh but also 11c per kwh for delivery. In other words, I pay 22c/kwh. At that rate if you use a light for a couple of hours a day LEDs pay for themselves very quickly.
[Reply]
CigarNut 07:33 AM 11-26-2013
This is the LED light that I am using to replace my floods: http://www.satco.com/lamps/led/led-b...ors/s8993.html

They were on sale at Batteries Plus and there was (is?) a $10 rebate on top of that so the bulbs came to around $20 each.
[Reply]
Up