Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Computer help needed
MrClean 07:13 PM 11-18-2013
I'm not the brightest bulb in the box, but I'm not completely burned out either.
Looking to switch my OS over to a 240GB SSD in my laptop. I have a 1TB HDD currently, I'll use the HDD as a secondary storage. I have an open bay in it so both drives will stay in the laptop. My laptop didn't come with a Windows 7 disc so from what I've read I'll have to clone the drive? From what I know about cloning a drive, don't they have to be the same size?
I backup all my files to an external 2TB drive so I'm not opposed to doing a restore on the laptop if it'll make the transfer easier.
The SSD I bought is a Crucial m500 and they offer a cloning kit for $20 which has a USB adapter and the software disc to clone your drive.

Not sure what is the best route to go with this. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :-)
[Reply]
Ogre 07:21 PM 11-18-2013
Ask GG, he is a computer geek
[Reply]
MrClean 07:29 PM 11-18-2013
Originally Posted by Ogre:
Ask GG, he is a computer geek
Thanks Larry, I knew we had a few on here, but couldn't remember who they were. :-)
[Reply]
Bill86 07:52 PM 11-18-2013
Do you have a legitimate Windows 7 Key? If so download a copy of Windows 7 and install it with your legit CD key. If you bought it new I would imagine the key is on the unit.

It's the CD key that makes Windows legit, not the "copy" of Windows 7.

Edit, here's a quick google http://www.pcworld.com/article/24899..._the_disc.html
[Reply]
MrClean 08:11 PM 11-18-2013
Yeah Bill it's a legit version. On the bottom of the laptop it has a genuine Windows sticker, but it doesn't look a normal 'key' to me. It may be because everything is run together and not separated by the dashes like on a disc.
[Reply]
Bill86 08:21 PM 11-18-2013
Install it either way, and you'll be good to go. Windows 7 is a pretty quick install too.
[Reply]
MrClean 08:33 PM 11-18-2013
Originally Posted by Bill86:
Install it either way, and you'll be good to go. Windows 7 is a pretty quick install too.
After looking at it again, it is the usual product key. I could have sworn I looked at it and it was formatted weird. :-)
So I should be able to install the drive, download the Windows 7 software, set the BIOS to boot off the SSD and then format the HDD? With a laptop do you have to set 'master' and 'slave' with multiple drives? I would think so but that's based off what I know about adding drives to a desktop.

Edit: Thanks for the link in your earlier post too
[Reply]
Bill86 08:41 PM 11-18-2013
I would just leave the SSD in, install Windows 7 on that and add the other drive after the install. There's really no reason to add confusion. Especially since the storage drive is already "in-use". That's what I did on my last reinstall.

If you download the Windows 7 software you'll have to use a third party program or service. Some people like going about it that way just to have a physical copy for later.

Otherwise, PC worlds step by step guide should be pretty simple. I'll have to admit I like having Windows 7 on a USB drive as well, VERY handy

Sometimes if you call the warranty on the laptop they will send you a Windows 7 disc. Just depends
[Reply]
MrClean 08:58 PM 11-18-2013
Thanks for the tips Bill, I appreciate the help!! SSD should be here Wednesday.
[Reply]
Up