Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Aquitane Anthropology
Porch Dweller 12:18 PM 11-17-2013
My first review. No pic's; sorry, dropped the ball on that one.

Cigar: Romacraft Cromagnon Aquitane Anthropology, quite possibly the most polysyllabic cigar name ever. :-) Paired with a cup of coffee.

Size: Grand Corona, 5 3/4 x 46
Wrapper: Ecuador Habano Ligero
Binder: Cameroon
Filler: Nicaragua
Price: approx. $8

Appearance: rustic with some veins, but smooth and silky at the same time. Brown with just a hint of red. No band, which doesn't bother me in the least (Roma has now started putting bands on their cigars). I wouldn't knock a cigar for it's band anyway; it's all about the flavors for me.

Construction: very well constructed, no soft or hard spots. I was smoking outside; weather was humid and breezy. This necessitated one touch-up on the burn. Other than that it burned evenly for the most part, self-correcting any unevenness that occurred.

First 1/3: cedar, mild pepper, earth, slight cocoa. I get a little touch of citrus every now and then. I've read other reviews that find this to be a very peppery cigar but that wasn't my experience. The pepper was nicely in balance with the other flavors.

Second 1/3: pepper and cedar more subdued. The cocoa becomes more pronounced along with coffee and a wonderful buttery creaminess.

Last 1/3: mild pepper and cedar returned, along with some oak. Still getting the cocoa, coffee, and cream.

Closing thoughts: I really enjoyed this cigar and will definitely be buying more. I go back and forth between this and the "regular" Cromagnon version which has a Connecticut Maduro wrapper. Both are great smokes that will always have a spot in my collection.
[Reply]
kelmac07 12:22 PM 11-17-2013
Nice review of a great stick James. :-) :-)
[Reply]
MUNKY 02:23 PM 11-18-2013
Spot on, great review.
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 12:27 AM 11-24-2013
Thanks for the great review James. The Aquitane Anthropology and EMH are both on my future "to try" list:-)
[Reply]
Weelok 12:56 AM 11-24-2013
Nice review and I need to pick up a few of these as well as the regular Cromagnum's. When I tried them, they were a few cigars deep and while I enjoyed them, my palate was a bit whacked so tasting notes were useless but it shows how good they are that I liked them as a third and fourth cigar. Can't wait to try them as a first.
[Reply]
Sweet_Leaf_PDX 02:09 AM 11-24-2013
Excellent review. I get many of the same impressions that you noted when smoking this. It is definitely a favorite of mine. I can't really decide if I like this or the maduro Cromagnon version better, but luckily I don't really have to choose and can just smoke both :-)
[Reply]
Up