Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>La Flor Dominica?
bonjing 06:27 PM 12-14-2008
so friday night, i was enjoying a La Flor Dominica the second band had written on it Limitado III. I had pulled out the cigar along with 4 others. A Cohiba (red dot) Toro, a CAO Gold and a RP Sun Grown. all cigars came out of my 9qt cooler kept at 65% rh using heartfelt beads. All cigars were pulled about 5hrs before enjoying them. we went to a bar and sat outside in the smoking area.

My friend enjoyed the Toro all the way to the nub.
My other friend enjoyed the the Gold.
Me I had the La Flor Dominica.

so, to the cigar.

I cut the cigar using a double bladed cutter of unknown make,tested the draw and it seemed normal then i used a colibri lighter to toast the the foot. When I tested the draw I had a rush of sweetness that hit my lips which i really enjoyed. after toasting i blew on the tip to make sure that the cigar was evenly lit and it was.

while enjoying the first portion of the cigar i continued to get that sweet taste. it spread from my lips to my tongue. The smoke was filled with the same sweetness. so far i have had nothing to drink with this cigar and my last meal was about 5+ hrs before the cigar.

as i continued past the first 1/3 the sweetness went away and I began to get a smooth tobacco taste not strong but creamy. I now paired the drink with an coke ( i can't drink alcohol).

I continued with the cigar having to touch up the cigar here and there as it was burning unevenly. I was not able to keep the ash on as i like to, due to not wanting to drop the ash on the floor the enclosed patio. Near the last third the sweetness returned which surprised me.

now to where i ran into the problem,

as i was enjoying the last portion of the cigar approx 3" left i could not keep the cigar lit no matter how hard i tried. I purged, I retouched the foot with a lighter, i even tried to take faster puffs. nothing!

So i cut the tip to expose new tobacco and again tried to toast the foot... no chance it wouldn't even glow? I tried to draw and light, it took a little glow but still would not stay lit and the foot would not completely light. reluctantly i left the cigar to rest and said good bye to it.

so cigar gurus i turn to you, what happened:-)? im guessing that the cigar was too damp, yet the other cigars were able to smoke to the nub but mine. any suggestion or tips
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 06:37 PM 12-14-2008
If this is the factory press III, then they are fairly new and it may just need some rest. However, if the cigar has been stored properly, there really isn't an excuse for this happening.

That being said, even the best companies have a few bad cigars in each box or bundle from time to time.

I've had very good luck with La Flor and enjoy them immensely. Me thinks you just had bad luck.
[Reply]
bonjing 08:39 PM 12-14-2008
don't get me wrong i loved the cigar and would purchase one again, even if this happened again. wth i'll buy another one considering i enjoyed this one and i'll let it sit longer in the cooler.
[Reply]
Silound 08:40 PM 12-14-2008
This is not the Factory Press III, as that says "Factory Press III" on the band. Also distinguishable by the shape, the FP3 is a box press in trays, the Limitado III is round that takes on a slightly squared shape due to tight packing.

The Limitado III is a limited release special blend by Litto Gomez of only 2000 boxes per year. It's is an Ecuadorian Sumatra Oscuro wrapper on a pure Dominican binder/filler (grown on Litto's personal farm).

Anyway, on to your problem, quite often LFD cigars plug up at the end, mostly due to moisture. The tobacco used is VERY oily, and the resulting moisture will often cause the cigars to swell and split even under ideal conditions. Typically, I store mine at 60%, otherwise they tend to get unsmokable just like yours.
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 08:49 PM 12-14-2008
Originally Posted by Silound:
This is not the Factory Press III, as that says "Factory Press III" on the band. Also distinguishable by the shape, the FP3 is a box press in trays, the Limitado III is round that takes on a slightly squared shape due to tight packing.

The Limitado III is a limited release special blend by Litto Gomez of only 2000 boxes per year. It's is an Ecuadorian Sumatra Oscuro wrapper on a pure Dominican binder/filler (grown on Litto's personal farm).

Anyway, on to your problem, quite often LFD cigars plug up at the end, mostly due to moisture. The tobacco used is VERY oily, and the resulting moisture will often cause the cigars to swell and split even under ideal conditions. Typically, I store mine at 60%, otherwise they tend to get unsmokable just like yours.
I must not have seen the Limitado before. I'll have to look for one. A little disappointing for him to have burn problems, especially after dry boxing for 5 hours before hand. I agree though, 65% seems to be the absolute maximum I like my cigars at, and even less for something oily like a LFD.
[Reply]
scooter 11:01 AM 12-15-2008
I have smoked several Limitado III's and have not had any draw or uneven burn problems, even stored at 70% in the vinotemp.
[Reply]
MithShrike 11:14 AM 12-15-2008
Originally Posted by scooter:
I have smoked several Limitado III's and have not had any draw or uneven burn problems, even stored at 70% in the vinotemp.
:-)
[Reply]
neoflex 05:38 PM 12-15-2008
I have smoked a great number of these and all around a big LFD Oscuro whore. Rarely do I ever encounter any kind of issues with these smokes, LimIIIs included. Like mentioned earlier, the Oscuros tend to be very oily. Did you purge at all while smoking this stick? Could have just been an oddity. I would highly recommend re-visiting this stick in the future, although I would not wait too long acquiring them as the Limitado IIIs are just that, Limited. But IMHO Litto produces some of the most consistant smokes.
[Reply]
Up