Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Sports>Ice Fishing for Crappies
BlackDog 09:59 AM 12-14-2008
Are there any ice fishermen here? I love ice fishing.

I went out yesterday afternoon for about 5 hours on a lake about a half mile from my house. Ran into a friend on the ice, so we fished together. The fishing was slow at first even though there were fish showing up on the flasher (fish finder). Just couldn't get them to bite. Then things picked up about 3:00, and we had a hot crappie bite for about an hour. Most were in the 9" - 10" range. The fish got finicky again, but I caught a few singles here and there until about 6:00, and kept the last fish to make it a full limit (10 for crappies here in MN).

It weirds me out when the fish "come back to life" when you put them in the sink. Some of these fish were out of the water for 5+ hours and were partially frozen, and still rejuvenated when I put them in the sink to wash off the slime to clean them. I conked them on the head so I could fillet them. :-)

My first crappie of the season:

My friend working a finicky fish:

Rearing back on a mule:

The mule: :-)

The bounty:
[Reply]
MadAl 10:30 AM 12-14-2008
Fair weather fisherman here, but it looks like you had a great time!
[Reply]
lightning9191 10:32 AM 12-14-2008
I used to really enjoy ice fishing back home (northern PA), but since moving south it can be hard to walk on the water down here in the winter....looks like you had a good day.
[Reply]
DPD6030 10:41 AM 12-14-2008
I'll be out on the ice once we get ice here in SW Michigan. I have the poles, tip-ups, shanty and lantern ready to go. I can't wait for good ice.
[Reply]
Cigarcop 10:42 AM 12-14-2008
No Ice here yet....Crappies are the best eating fish in my book :-)

Great pictures bud!!
[Reply]
ToddziLLa 10:55 AM 12-14-2008
Last year was the first time I went ice fishing...lots of fun! Must have been beginner's luck because this was the only one reeled in that evening. Saugeye next to my size 13 boot:

[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 11:44 AM 12-14-2008
what do you use for a lure? Just a jig or do you have something else?
Ive had luck with a few walleyes last year on a spoon but i dont know about crappies.
[Reply]
BlackDog 12:37 PM 12-14-2008
Sox, I use small jigs. Usually about 1/64th oz. About size 12 or 14 hook size. I've got some 1/32 oz too (size 8 or 10 hook). Here are a few I use. I will sometimes put a wax worm on the hook, but mostly just fish them with tiny plastics. I like these two companies products a lot. I'm no expert, but I've caught a lot of panfish with these.

http://www.customjigsandspins.com

http://www.makiplastic.com/index.html

Diamond Jig:

Gill Pill:

Verticle-style jigs:

Ratso:

Frisbee Jig (I usually put a minnow head on these):

Maki Plastic "Polli"

Maki Plastic "Buggi"
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 12:43 PM 12-14-2008
Thanks for posting those websites and pics!!!! I will try them this january.
By the way, my parents have a winter/summer cabin in northern wisconsin so thats where ill be fishing!
[Reply]
TripleF 09:57 AM 04-27-2009
Great catch!

When's the fish fry? :-)
[Reply]
Up