Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Kids and Cigars
hammondc 05:22 PM 06-15-2013
Been meaning to post this for a while. How did you dads approach the topic of smoking with your kids when they were old enough to ask? My wife and I just have a 9month old right now, but I have been contemplating if I should still smoke or not. It is not a good example, but I guess the same argument could be made for drinking alcohol.

Just curious. Keep it civil.
[Reply]
GTsetGO 05:26 PM 06-15-2013
i will be in the same boat. i have a 16 month old and i guess he will ask at some time.
[Reply]
icehog3 05:31 PM 06-15-2013
I would tell them they are not allowed to smoke cigars until they are at least 10.
[Reply]
cjhalbrooks 05:35 PM 06-15-2013
I tell my son and daughter that they cannot smoke a cigar until they are 18. I have let them pick out a cigar that I will keep till they are old enough to smoke.
[Reply]
MrClean 05:37 PM 06-15-2013
My kids are 16 and 14, we've discussed it at length. Both my wife and I smoked cigarettes, I quit 5 years ago, she quit almost a year ago. I explained to them, that although I don't inhale the smoke, it's still not a 'healthy' activity. But at the same time it helps me relax and relieving stress is also important. They seem to understand the difference and they both think it's 'gross', so I guess I'm doing my job by informing them, not necessarily preaching to them. I preach to them about so many other things... :-)
[Reply]
organgrinder 05:59 PM 06-15-2013
While I do not have kids myself I think it is important to teach my nieces that most things on moderation are OK

Its extremes in either direction that create problems
[Reply]
Blueface 07:29 PM 06-15-2013
In my grandson's case, simple.

[Reply]
Coach Deg 08:12 PM 06-15-2013
I have talked about it with my stepsons, 15 and 11. As mentioned, I told them its bad for you, but good to relax and moderation. They do not see me smoke more then once a week if that. I told them the same thing about alcohol and they will never see me drink and drive. And I explained, when they are adults they will be able to try and decide.
[Reply]
maninblack 09:47 PM 06-15-2013
My kids know its not a healthy thing to do, but they also know its relaxing for me. Hopefully they don't take after me. But its better than other drugs I guess.
[Reply]
markem 10:46 PM 06-15-2013
Until about age 12, I think that they should be restricted to the patch.
[Reply]
sevans105 10:52 PM 06-15-2013
My kids have known I smoke cigars for a while, but I've never smoked in front of then until recently. We talked. They accept it for what it is. A once in a while thing that I enjoy.
[Reply]
icehog3 10:55 PM 06-15-2013
OK, I'd let 'em smoke a cigar at 9, but wait until 10 to wash it down with gin.
[Reply]
hammondc 05:57 AM 06-16-2013
Thanks a bunch guys. This helps me out a bit. I have cut way back on the smoking already, but still enjoy it. I do most of my smoking when I am traveling, but this gives me some points to consider for the next few years. I'll try to keep him out of my humi until at least 11.
[Reply]
Up