Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Dry boxing cigars a day or two before herfing...a quick question plz
FUEL 10:15 AM 06-01-2013
In my move I lost a lot of my empty boxes but one I do have is a LFD Double Ligero Digger box however the box lost its top. Is it a horrific idea to put them in said box for 24 hours (a special all day event at my B&M tomorrow called Grand Old Days) and I got a a cigar or two from the country that may be said but they are a little bit over humidified.

I was thinking about putting them with a few others (prolly 5-8 total) in that box with either a paper towel over it or maybe plastic wrap with a bunch of little holes or is it acceptable and ok to leave them in the box without the lid?

Thanks CA!!

Hope all have a great weekend and :-) to NHL playoffs back tonight!

Go Blackhawks and Go Bruins!!!

James
[Reply]
T.G 10:18 AM 06-01-2013
Lid, no lid, doesn't matter for a short span of time like that.

The rare times I need to "drybox" a cigar, I just leave it lying out on the counter.
[Reply]
CigarNut 10:21 AM 06-01-2013
Putting the cigars in a box without a lid is just like leaving your cigars out on your kitchen counter. Not necessarily a bad thing depending upon your ambient humidity.

I would just put them all in a Ziploc or Tupperware container. Especially if some of the cigars are dryer than the others.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 10:22 AM 06-01-2013
Drying boxing you still need a good box with a lid, paper towel or cutting holes in plastic wrap would be the same as leaving the sticks out on the counter. Most B&Ms have plenty of empty boxes that are free for the taking, are they close enough to shoot over and grab a box (with a lid) from them to use?

Edit: seems it was said while I was typing.
[Reply]
sevans105 10:55 AM 06-01-2013
With humidity in the 70-85% here in Minnesota, the counter might actually be worse. If your house is air conditioned, that will drop the humidity considerably, but its so damp out now, you might be better of just leaving them in the humidor. The Cities may be different from down here, but still....any wetter and I'd have to swim to my car.
[Reply]
pektel 10:57 AM 06-01-2013
As has been said, leaving them on the counter is no biggie. I forget about cigars all the time. I've left cigars on the counter for days before, because I plan on smoking it, but then something comes up. Cigars are more resilient than most are led to believe.
[Reply]
bobarian 10:59 AM 06-01-2013
Have you calibrated your hygrometer? :-)
[Reply]
T.G 10:59 AM 06-01-2013
Originally Posted by sevans105:
With humidity in the 70-85% here in Minnesota, the counter might actually be worse.
Good catch, Scott.

Humidity where I live tends to swing between 25-45% year round with only a few exceptions.
[Reply]
SvilleKid 11:18 AM 06-01-2013
Here's an idea..... If you have a local B&M, drop by real quick and get an empty box from them!! Most will give them away or charge a nominal fee $2-$5 each, depending on the size, brand. Then you have a dry box to use, with a lid and all.

If no B&M close, put them in a Rubbermaid box, and take some of the spanish cedar pieces of your busted humidor (if you kept any) inside to absorb the excess humidity (or, bust up the box that you only have the bottom for, and put those pieces in the rubbermaid to absorb the humidity.
[Reply]
pektel 11:20 AM 06-01-2013
With humidity in the 70-85% here in Minnesota, the counter might actually be worse. If your house is air conditioned, that will drop the humidity considerably, but its so damp out now, you might be better of just leaving them in the humidor. The Cities may be different from down here, but still....any wetter and I'd have to swim to my car.
Good point. It's been a little more humid up here than before, but nothing on the scale of down where you're at.

My humidity level in the humidor (just calibrated the hygro, and reset my HCM beads) is at 62%.
[Reply]
FUEL 11:55 AM 06-01-2013
Actually in unpacking further I found two old UF-13 boxes and an old Illusion ~888~ box with lids. Thanks for the replies and if you would like I can delete the thread.

James
[Reply]
FUEL 11:56 AM 06-01-2013
If I put them in the basement in the box for 24 hours to 36 hours I think I will be ok as the basement is usually around 62 degrees and almost 0% RH.
[Reply]
bobarian 12:13 PM 06-01-2013
Originally Posted by FUEL:
If I put them in the basement in the box for 24 hours to 36 hours I think I will be ok as the basement is usually around 62 degrees and almost 0% RH.
:-) That's mighty dry. :-) Even the Sahara desert averages about 25% Rh.
[Reply]
FUEL 12:20 PM 06-01-2013
Originally Posted by bobarian:
:-) That's mighty dry. :-) Even the Sahara desert averages about 25% Rh.
Ok well maybe that's an exaggeration. In fact I will go put a hygrometer down there on a shelf now and see what it says in a few hours.

Thanks again all.
[Reply]
Up