All Cigar Discussion>Calibration of a Hygrometer...would this work
T.G 12:07 AM 05-22-2013
Tested two fuente packs so far.
Assuming the correction factor for my hygrometer is still accurate:
#1: (346 7) Marked 69%, test results: 73%
#2: (322 4) Marked 69%, test results: 66%
[Reply]
FUEL 12:29 AM 05-22-2013
For poops and giggles about an hour before I posted this thread I did exactly what I said in the OP with a 84 and a 69 packet, two diff hygs and two diff bags. At 0130 CDT one reads 86 and the other 68 both at room temp of 69.

Interesting.....
[Reply]
FUEL 08:50 AM 05-22-2013
This morning virtually the same readings. One went up 2% one went down 2%. Calibrated enough for me.
[Reply]
T.G 10:48 AM 05-22-2013
With two unknowns, I wouldn't call that calibrated. You proved your hygrometers can go up and down though, so at least you have that going for you.
[Reply]
equetefue 11:41 AM 05-22-2013
In the middle of calibrating all my hygrometers using the salt test.

After 48 hrs they are all (5 of them) reading dead on 73% which is 2% lower than they should. The kicker is that the are all reading the dead same % since I calibrated them last week to a 75% calibration kit, meaning that the calibration kit is 2% over.

From now on salt test for me.
[Reply]
FUEL 11:49 AM 05-22-2013
Originally Posted by T.G:
With two unknowns, I wouldn't call that calibrated. You proved your hygrometers can go up and down though, so at least you have that going for you.
For my purposes its good enough. Not wasting more time on it as there are better things to do.
[Reply]
bobarian 11:53 AM 05-22-2013
Originally Posted by FUEL:
For my purposes its good enough. Not wasting more time on it as there are better things to do.
Then why waste our time asking the question in the first place. :-)

Using your logic you might as well use your watch to monitor your Rh. :-)
[Reply]
equetefue 11:56 AM 05-22-2013
:-)
[Reply]
T.G 12:38 PM 05-22-2013
Originally Posted by FUEL:
You do realize that what you now consider to be a calibrated hydrometer could potentially be as much 8-9 points off? That's a huge margin of error.

The point Aaron and I have been trying to make is that the big packs can be horribly inaccurate. While they might be within a range that keeps your cigars smokeable, it's not accurate enough to calibrate equipment by.

If I were to follow your procedures and "calibrate" with the pack currently in with my hydrometer, here's what I'd have:
Pack is stamped 69%
Hygrometer currently reads 65%
I know this hydrometer to read 2 pts high, so, the pack is actually 63%
Your procedure and logic would have the hygrometer being 4 points LOW since the pack is labeled 69. So there would actually be an error of 6 points with your method. A read of 65% would actually be 59%. Start dropping much below that and your cigars will start burning hot and harsh. If the pack was high and the hygrometer were low, you'd be over-humidified in short order, and you'd probably be posting a thread whining about how your cigars are acerbic, bitter, burn like crap and you don't know why because your hygrometer is "calibrated".

Bottom line is, you have two unknown variables, one in the calibration medium, the other in the equipment of unknown accuracy. Without eliminating one of the unknowns, you have no idea where or what the numbers really are.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up