Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Craigslist anonymous replies?
themoneycollector 04:01 PM 04-11-2013
I posted an ad in craigslist. I had not used it in over a year.

I like how craigslist will post an anonymous email for the ad, so if it's an obvious spammer or a lowballer, I can just ignore them.

But now, it seems like when people are responding to an ad, they can anonymize their email addy too. So that way they respond and it doesn't give away their real email. I tried this out on my own, but couldn't figure out how to use this feature. Is there something special you have to do like use an app?

I'm logged into craigslist and I only get the option to respond using my real email addy.
[Reply]
chaase321 04:19 PM 04-11-2013
You do respond with your real email, just when you hit send Craigslist changes your email address, so the person receiving it only sees something like:

Zgdjao683hsb@craigslist . Com

It's done automatically for you. This way the persone you are writing to would only have your real email if you choose to type it in your message...but Craigslist blocks that as well so you have to be clever
[Reply]
themoneycollector 04:31 PM 04-11-2013
You sure? Even through hotmail for instance?

If I send an e-mail to blah123@craigslist.com for an ad, then craigslist anonymizes my email too?
[Reply]
chaase321 07:20 PM 04-11-2013
Reall sure. Just click on the lister, and then it will ask you to sign into your account. If you do everything through Craigslist it will make it all anonymous and his responses will go directly to your hotmail inbox...and his email will also appear as one from Craigslist instead of his real one.

I'm certain, just did it yesterday cause I'm buying a vino temp from a guy
[Reply]
Zane 07:48 PM 04-11-2013
Originally Posted by chaase321:
Reall sure. Just click on the lister, and then it will ask you to sign into your account. If you do everything through Craigslist it will make it all anonymous and his responses will go directly to your hotmail inbox...and his email will also appear as one from Craigslist instead of his real one.

I'm certain, just did it yesterday cause I'm buying a vino temp from a guy
Yay! My bday present? :-)
[Reply]
themoneycollector 09:34 PM 04-11-2013
Haha, it does work. I guess craigslist receives all incoming mail and then strips out the true email.

I like it but I had an ad that received a few responses that looked legit. But when I tried to follow up, I had to use the anonymous emails and never got a single response from my follow ups. Oh well.
[Reply]
chaase321 10:38 PM 04-11-2013
yeah, sometimes that is good because some of those responses are spam...but it sucks that people contact you then they don't respond after you do. It is possible to put your cell number in the email you originally send (again, discretely) but then again, I would much rather give someone my email than my cell number.

Best of luck bro
[Reply]
Up