Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>storing cigars
ksknnr 09:16 AM 12-12-2012
Maybe a dumb question? I bought my dad a box of cigars for x-mas, they are still sealed in the wooden box. Is it ok to just leave them in the box, not in a humidor until x-mas? I dont really have a choice since I do not have a cigar cabinet.
[Reply]
hotreds 09:20 AM 12-12-2012
Yes- but not much longer than that. A sealed box should stay at good humidity levels for a coupla weeks. Unless your house is very dry- say below 40% humidity level. Then that humidity will be sucked out pretty quick. But in all likelihood you should be fine.
[Reply]
T.G 09:21 AM 12-12-2012
Most boxes don't hold humidity well. If you don't have room in your humidor or coolerdor, just put the box in a large tupperware container with a boveda pack if you have one to spare. Or even a large ziploc bag inside another ziploc bag.
[Reply]
T.G 09:24 AM 12-12-2012
Originally Posted by hotreds:
Yes- but not much longer than that. A sealed box should stay at good humidity levels for a coupla weeks. Unless your house is very dry- say below 40% humidity level. Then that humidity will be sucked out pretty quick. But in all likelihood you should be fine.
What's the weather like in Massachusetts right now? If the OP is running the heater a lot, the air is going to be very dry.
[Reply]
ksknnr 09:35 AM 12-12-2012
Originally Posted by T.G:
What's the weather like in Massachusetts right now? If the OP is running the heater a lot, the air is going to be very dry.
kind of cold here now, but I keep my cigars in the basement, only about 50 degrees down there. I never even thought about just throwing the box in a cooler, still somewhat of a newbie.
thanks for the info,
[Reply]
hotreds 09:41 AM 12-12-2012
Adam's advice is good if you have a cooler or even a large Ziploc bag. 50 degrees would seem to indicate very low humidity.
[Reply]
shilala 09:54 AM 12-12-2012
I use doubled up ziplocks or the seal-a-meal when necessary. :-)
If I pass smokes to a new smoker, I tell them to leave them in those ziplocks to keep them fresh, and mention it's just like storing food that doesn't necessarily spoil, like sugar or flour. They get that.
[Reply]
Up