Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Sealed Cigars
Cville Cigar 05:08 PM 12-11-2012
I just bought a Partagas 150 in a crystal tube. It's sealed with tape around the plug, what should I do, leave it sealed OR remove the plug??

Also, I have a 2012 Cigar Family Chartiable Foundation 2 pack still sealed, what sould I do with this too??:-):-)
[Reply]
big_jaygee 05:30 PM 12-11-2012
Originally Posted by Cville Cigar:
I just bought a Partagas 150 in a crystal tube. It's sealed with tape around the plug, what should I do, leave it sealed OR remove the plug??

Also, I have a 2012 Cigar Family Chartiable Foundation 2 pack still sealed, what sould I do with this too??:-):-)

I was wondering the same but I was given some Gurkha Grand Reserve Robusto's.
[Reply]
Robulous78 05:35 PM 12-11-2012

I am by no means an expert... but I would say it depends on what your going for...

If you want to enjoy the cigar sometime in the future, unseal it and let it age...

If you want to keep the cigar fresh, leave it in the tube... :-)

This has been an advertisement by a non-attorney spokesperson...
[Reply]
T.G 06:09 PM 12-11-2012
Kind of like "cello on or off?". Do whatever flips your flags. I leave them as they come and just put them in the humidor since not all tubes are 100% airtight.
[Reply]
T.G 06:19 PM 12-11-2012
Originally Posted by Robulous78:
I am by no means an expert... but I would say it depends on what your going for...

If you want to enjoy the cigar sometime in the future, unseal it and let it age...

If you want to keep the cigar fresh, leave it in the tube... :-)

This has been an advertisement by a non-attorney spokesperson...

Tobacco will still age in the tube. Depending on how well sealed the tube is, it will be either an anaerobic aging or a very limited airflow / low oxygen aging. Either way, it's a slow process.
[Reply]
Robulous78 06:22 PM 12-11-2012
Yes... it will age in a tube just in my experience the more airflow usually helps the process... Glad we can Agree Adam...
[Reply]
T.G 06:36 PM 12-11-2012
Originally Posted by Robulous78:
Yes... it will age in a tube just in my experience the more airflow usually helps the process... Glad we can Agree Adam...
Yet you stated keeping it in the sealed tube will keep it fresh, which would mean no aging. :-)

The aging that occurs anaerobically in the sealed tubes is a bit different than what you get otherwise, once the oxygen in the tube is used up, a different chemical process takes over. They aren't directly comparable. I believe MRN uses the words "more gracefully" to describe it.
[Reply]
Robulous78 06:38 PM 12-11-2012
Originally Posted by T.G:
The aging that occurs anaerobically in the sealed tubes is a bit different than what you get otherwise, once the oxygen in the tube is used up, a different chemical process takes over. They aren't directly comparable. I believe MRN uses the words "more gracefully" to describe it.
This I didn't know... Thanks Adam... :-)
[Reply]
Bax 08:48 PM 12-11-2012
I'd open it... then smoke it! If you only have one you really don't have a point of reference weather it's better or worse with age. IMHO, many NC's don't really improve much with a lot of age. They lose strength which you may or may not like but flavors don't develop like the CC counterparts. :-)
[Reply]
TJarv 08:50 PM 12-11-2012
I store them the same way they were stored before they were in my possession
[Reply]
dwoodward 08:52 PM 12-11-2012
I keep my tubed sticks in the tubes, looks good when you pull em out and hand one to a buddy. :-)
[Reply]
iaMkcK 08:28 AM 12-12-2012
Leave sealed, go to your designated smoking area, remove from tube, toast foot, initiate combustion, smoke to nub..

Go back inside, grab this, and repeat the toasting foot process to the nub.

Document total smoke time for each, review each, post all pictures and reviews, cry profusely.
[Reply]
BSB 08:45 AM 12-12-2012
Originally Posted by big_jaygee:
I was wondering the same but I was given some Gurkha Grand Reserve Robusto's.
I think these are flavored with cognac. Do NOT remove from tube and put in your humidor, you will "taint" all the other cigars.
[Reply]
T.G 08:51 AM 12-12-2012
Originally Posted by BSB:
I think these are flavored with cognac. Do NOT remove from tube and put in your humidor, you will "taint" all the other cigars.

Good catch. Looks like they are.

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/p...sp?item=CS-G9A
[Reply]
Zane 08:56 AM 12-12-2012
I keep mine just the way I received them! Well now anyway.

At one point I liked them like I like my women.... Naked...
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 09:04 AM 12-12-2012
Break the tube on the edge of the table, smoke the cigar then stab a cat with the remaining glass tube.
[Reply]
shilala 09:39 AM 12-12-2012
Shane's genius idea notwithstanding, they're gonna be a b1tch to smoke in the tubes.
I'd certainly leave them that way until it's time to smoke them. The maker intended for those smokes to be kept in that fashion, employing the strategy that Adam has already explained.
Of course, you can do whatever you like. If it's more fun for you to take another angle, then go for it, brother.
Then prop the cat up with sticks until it dries out nice and hard and sit your ashtray on it's head. You don't wanna waste a perfectly good cat.
[Reply]
363 09:41 AM 12-12-2012
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth:
Break the tube on the edge of the table, smoke the cigar then stab a cat with the remaining glass tube.
:-) Shane and his love of cats
[Reply]
PearlS4 09:58 AM 12-12-2012
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth:
I lol'd
[Reply]
Up