Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Famous Smoke Nicaraguan
DaBear 11:41 AM 11-24-2012
Since I'm currently looking at getting a bundle or two of some cheapies so I'm not blowing my whole paycheck at work, how are the Nic 3ks and Nic Maduros compared to say, Est. 1844, UHCs, or 5 Vegas, as far as some good budget smokes? Really enjoyed the UHCs so if they're anything similar I'll be all over those bad boys.
[Reply]
kelmac07 11:42 AM 11-24-2012
I prefer the Famous Nic 5000s...is my go-go value stick. If you can let 'em sit for a 12-18 months, they are fantastic. Little less spicer than the UHC, but damn close. Better than the Est. 1844 and 5 Vegas. :-)
[Reply]
SvilleKid 11:46 AM 11-24-2012
The Nic 3000's have been solid since he beginning. Nice size for normal smoking time, and good flavors. More leather, chocolate, nutty than pepper, IMO..... Which is what I prefer.
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 11:48 AM 11-24-2012
I smoke the Nic 3K torpedos all the time and enjoy them. Also, take a look at CI's AJ Fernandez overruns.
[Reply]
jluck 01:36 PM 11-24-2012
Originally Posted by DaBear:
Since I'm currently looking at getting a bundle or two of some cheapies so I'm not blowing my whole paycheck at work, how are the Nic 3ks and Nic Maduros compared to say, Est. 1844, UHCs, or 5 Vegas, as far as some good budget smokes? Really enjoyed the UHCs so if they're anything similar I'll be all over those bad boys.
Bear, I would skip the EST:1844's unless you could find the earlier ones. I smoked a bunch of these at first and had to wait for the last shipment, They are not near the same IMO.I know the savy buyer can find the 601 Blues for 65'ish a box too FWIW.

I would gladly send a few 1844s your way if you'd like.
[Reply]
the jiggler 01:56 PM 11-24-2012
Originally Posted by jluck:
Bear, I would skip the EST:1844's unless you could find the earlier ones. I smoked a bunch of these at first and had to wait for the last shipment, They are not near the same IMO.I know the savy buyer can find the 601 Blues for 65'ish a box too FWIW.

Jared:

Can you elaborate a little on the 1844? I bought a fiver last year before the rush and really enjoyed them. I was just about to buy a box. What's changed?
[Reply]
jluck 02:45 PM 11-24-2012
Originally Posted by the jiggler:
Jared:

Can you elaborate a little on the 1844? I bought a fiver last year before the rush and really enjoyed them. I was just about to buy a box. What's changed?
The last "batch" I got are totally different than the first ones. A while back the supply went dry and I had open order for them, Once the new ones got here I had a old stock to compare to the new ones and there just not as sweet and flavorful. The new ones are bitter, less sweet and some of the nice things I really liked about the first ones are gone....

Some time might do wonders, I dunno.
[Reply]
the jiggler 03:30 PM 11-24-2012
The last "batch" I got are totally different than the first ones. A while back the supply went dry and I had open order for them, Once the new ones got here I had a old stock to compare to the new ones and there just not as sweet and flavorful. The new ones are bitter, less sweet and some of the nice things I really liked about the first ones are gone....

Some time might do wonders, I dunno.
Grrrrrr. That's a bit irritating. Is it too much to ask to find something you like that's cheap, readily available and consistent? Maybe it's time to try the 5000's. Thanks for the heads up.
[Reply]
Garbandz 06:20 PM 11-24-2012
Originally Posted by the jiggler:
Grrrrrr. That's a bit irritating. Is it too much to ask to find something you like that's cheap, readily available and consistent? Maybe it's time to try the 5000's. Thanks for the heads up.
'Twas always thus. First batch is great,subsequent batches are not as good to totally awful.

If you like a stick,BUY THAT BATCH !! Trusting a blend to remain the same is a fool's errand.

Ask anyone about the Patel Decade.The ONLY marcas that seem to be able to maintain their profile are:

Padron and La Flor Dominicana..........
[Reply]
DaBear 09:58 PM 11-24-2012
Originally Posted by SvilleKid:
The Nic 3000's have been solid since he beginning. Nice size for normal smoking time, and good flavors. More leather, chocolate, nutty than pepper, IMO..... Which is what I prefer.
Perfect, exactly my flavor profile, though I do enjoy my spicy sticks sometimes.

Originally Posted by kelmac07:
I prefer the Famous Nic 5000s...is my go-go value stick. If you can let 'em sit for a 12-18 months, they are fantastic. Little less spicer than the UHC, but damn close. Better than the Est. 1844 and 5 Vegas. :-)
May get a 5ver of the 5ks then to get the order up over $50 so I can use their $10 off coupon

I was bombed an 1844 before and enjoyed it, but I'm not sure which batch it was from. It was about 6 months ago IIRC.

No word on the Nic Maduros? They've intrigued me, especially when I see them on sale for $27 for a bundle of the churchills every now and then.
[Reply]
RWhisenand 10:20 PM 11-24-2012
Budget smokes I enjoy:
La Aurora Series 1495
5 Vegas Miami
Gran Habano Vintage
Gran Habano Aztec
Some Pinar del Rio blends
[Reply]
TJarv 10:48 PM 11-24-2012
Originally Posted by DaBear:

I was bombed an 1844 before and enjoyed it, but I'm not sure which batch it was from. It was about 6 months ago IIRC.
I know I sent you one, and I bought mine back in March
[Reply]
TJarv 10:54 PM 11-24-2012
Nevermind I just checked the post you made about my bomb and the 1844 wasn't on the list
[Reply]
Up