Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>What Am I Missing Out On...
shibby4781 02:26 PM 09-19-2012
by storing cigars in tupperware rather than a humidor? Ok so let me explain. I have two 50 count humidors that are full. I also have multiple tupperware conatiners with the overflow. I keep my "higher end" and unwrapped sticks in the humidors and everything else just goes into tupperware. I'm not purposely aging at this point, just storing. Also, we have so much tupperware the wife doesn't miss it but she does notice a new humidor. Would there be any benefit to adding some thin spanish cedar to the tupperware? Thanks in advance!

P.S. Not all of it is really official Tupperware, mostly Rubbermaid and other off brands. I knew someone would have got me on that. Sorry to take the fun out of it. LOL.
[Reply]
icehog3 02:34 PM 09-19-2012
If you are using acceptable humidification, you're not missing out on anything.
[Reply]
T.G 02:36 PM 09-19-2012
Because tupperware doesn't really breathe unless it has a poor seal, it can cause your cigars to become overhumidified if you aren't using a two way humidity device (boveda packs, heartfelt beads or HCM beads), but other than that, not really missing anything. The cedar can be added for aroma, but that's about all a thin sheet is going to do.

Not much difference between tupperware and a coolerdor when you stop and think about it and there are a great many of us that use coolers for short and long term storage of cigars.
[Reply]
The Poet 02:39 PM 09-19-2012
If your cigars are stored in cedar boxes inside your tupperdores, be they cabinets or dress boxes, I don't even see a point in adding any cedar sheets or shims.
[Reply]
shibby4781 03:53 PM 09-19-2012
Awesome! I will keep it up! It's just loose cigars and I have either 69% or a 72% Boveda pack in each. No real reason for the different humidities, those are just the packs I wound up with. Since they are pretty much air tight and the Boveda packs are accurate in that type of container is there ar need for a hygrometer in the tupperware? Thank you all for the input!
[Reply]
T.G 04:14 PM 09-19-2012
If the cigars are smoking fine, then no, not really any need for the hygrometer that I can see.

Just remember to open the container once in a while.
[Reply]
RobR1205 04:52 PM 09-19-2012
I just started a tuperdor and had a few concerns myself...good info thanks!
[Reply]
TJtorpedo 06:18 PM 09-19-2012
I use cooler/tupperdors almost exclusively. I've always bypassed purchasing a nice humidor so I spend the money on more cigars!
[Reply]
lenguamor 07:38 PM 09-19-2012
If it's the only solution right now and it works for you, it's fine.

I do believe that Spanish cedar does add something, and cigars do benefit from mutual integration of their aromas, essences, whatever. But it's not a "must," just my opinion.
[Reply]
timj219 08:34 PM 09-19-2012
I keep most of my smokes in a cooler or tupperware. I did buy some of those cedar trays for my coolidor about $10 each. Cedar does serve as an additional buffer for humidity changes and may contribute to cigar flavor over long time periods but the best thing IMO is they make it easier for me to access the cigars I'm looking for without constantly rummaging through a pile of loose cigars and possibly causing damage over time.
[Reply]
shibby4781 08:39 PM 09-19-2012
Originally Posted by lenguamor:
I do believe that Spanish cedar does add something, and cigars do benefit from mutual integration of their aromas, essences, whatever. But it's not a "must," just my opinion.
This could open up a huge discussion on cello on or off as well. But I do agree that Spanish cedar will give another note to cigars that have been store or aged in it. There are some personal rules I follow. If it doesn't come with cello, it goes it a humidor. If it's over $8-$10 a stick, it goes in the humidor. If it is one of my absolute favorites, it goes in the humidor. Just my :-)
[Reply]
shibby4781 09:10 PM 09-19-2012
Originally Posted by timj219:
IMO is they make it easier for me to access the cigars I'm looking for without constantly rummaging through a pile of loose cigars and possibly causing damage over time.
This has been an ongoing issue for me. I finally found these at Sur La Table in the mall. I'm sure they sell them at other kitchen retailers also. I only fill them 2 high but they can fit 3 rows high it is spread out enough that it helps to eliminate the digging. Holds about 35-40 sticks possibly more depending on the size of the cigars. However I would love to find some kind of tray or divider for it. (any suggestions?) A bit pricey but the best $10 I have spent for less hassle!
[Reply]
Mr B 11:57 AM 09-20-2012
I have almost (90%) of my stock in Tupperdors. Lock N Lock style to be exact. I have the bottoms of all of them lined w/ 1/4" Spanish Cedar. I leave a cup with Distilled water in the container with the cedar for a couple of days so that the wood will soak up what it needs. Then I fill the container w/ smokes. I usually never have to have any sort of humidification in with them. As Adam mentioned, if air-tight they will not dry out. Keep a Hygrometer in there to monitor. If it gets low I put in a humidification device for a day or 2, then take it out again. Plus, most cigars come from the dealers overhumidified, so adding them to your tupperware containers tends to keep things pretty level.
Good Luck.
[Reply]
Catfishbluezz 12:25 AM 09-25-2012
I've used them on many occasions, and I use the cedar splits you find in boxes and to make layers. Never had an issue and used minimal Boveda packs
[Reply]
Up