Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 5 of 5
« First < 345
General Discussion>Best rock covers of all time
icehog3 06:15 PM 05-16-2013
Originally Posted by riverdawg:
Chris Cornell, "Billy Jean", best of all time, probably not, but a daggone good un.:-)
He does great covers of many songs, "I Will Always Love You" right after Whitney died, and like "Billy Jean", it became a completely different song.
[Reply]
shade 07:49 PM 05-16-2013
A couple of The Allman Brothers classics -

Stormy Monday -(T-Bone Walker)

Statesboro Blues - ( Blind Willie McTell)
[Reply]
pektel 08:41 PM 05-16-2013
Jake shimabukuro- while my ukulele gently weeps

I recently bought a tenor uke, and can play this too, just not as... Eloquently... As he can. I'm learning though. Only had it for a few weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw6YL_l2YxA
[Reply]
pektel 08:48 PM 05-16-2013
Originally Posted by FUEL:
I've met John several times and seen him 10+ times dating all the way back to "Eddies Attic" and still LOVE when he rarely covers "Message in a Bottle" by The Police. If you take away all his doucheness in popular media he is one of the most amazing guitar performers currently alive and puts on the most amazing shows.

Another haunting cover is Gary Jules covering Tears for Fears "Mad World." You can be the manliest of manly men and that song can reduce you to a ball of tears in the fetal position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N3N1MlvVc4
Very cool. And agree on him having decent chops as a guitarist. Though I do hear a lot of srv/Jimi channeling. Ever hear his solo electric version of wind cries Mary? Awesome stuff.

I've been listening since the late 90's. just before "no such thing" became a big hit. Eddies was before that even. I have a recording of the last two nights of a 3 night run at eddies back in 05. Supremely good stuff, and a very difficult recording to get a hold of.
[Reply]
OLS 06:13 AM 05-17-2013
I think EVERYONE's covering of Whiskey in the Jar is great. That song is good no matter
who does it or how it's covered.
[Reply]
riverdawg 12:22 PM 05-17-2013
Originally Posted by icehog3:
He does great covers of many songs, "I Will Always Love You" right after Whitney died, and like "Billy Jean", it became a completely different song.
Yup, the boy is most definitely a talent.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 5
« First < 345
Up