Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Blueberries, anybody?
Fordman4ever 05:43 AM 08-30-2012
Anybody ever plant blueberries in an area where you get pretty cold winters? I've been told to plant northern high bush plants, but beyond that, I have no idea what to do. I'll be doing some research on the inter-webs, but thought I'd ask here too. Thanks
[Reply]
replicant_argent 07:17 AM 08-30-2012
The grow great in the wild in Northern Minnesota. They love swampy/boggy areas. Nuff said.
Here is a link to the U of M page on selected recommended varietals for our area.
http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...re/DG1104.html
[Reply]
mmblz 08:16 AM 08-30-2012
we planted some in NH last year, we're in zone 4
mix of different types, i'm not sure which exact ones.
finished picking berries a few weeks ago, now the leaves are starting to get beautiful. :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 09:11 AM 08-30-2012
Birds keep eating our blueberries and I have not been able to pick any!
[Reply]
SvilleKid 03:08 PM 08-30-2012
Keep in mind, with blueberries, you need at least two different varieties planted. And go with bigger plants, not smaller, if you have choices. Last four small bushes I planted bit the dust. Last 4 bigger (3-5 feet tall) ones I planted have thrived and produced berries the first season after planting them. The best blueberry picking I've done was on the side of the Blue Ridge Parkway at higher (and colder) altitudes, So I know they can thrive and produce in colder climates. They do like water! The lower end of the slope in your back yard would be better than higher areas. Check the variety to see whether it likes full sun or partial sun. Mine do better in full sun.

Good luck!
[Reply]
Fordman4ever 03:35 PM 08-30-2012
Thanks.
[Reply]
Ranger_B 04:52 PM 08-30-2012
I used to go to Maine and pick them at a family members house while growing up. Dont recall what types but they where yummy.
[Reply]
Up