Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>Real Cuban?
cmitch 02:58 PM 08-09-2012
From a printer's standpoint, the bands look legit compared to the sample posted. Generally, counterfeiters do not get it even close to right when it comes to spacing between the design elements. I pulled your pic and enhanced it the best I could and I can clearly see the hologram is comparable. The hologram is applied through a separate operation from the gold foil. The kind of foil stamping done on these bands is the embossing. It is a much more difficult procedure than standard spot and stamp since a male and female die is involved. Plus, even the best foil stamping mis-registers somewhat. This is my opinion and even I can't be 100% unless I see the actual sticks. But, I don't see any red flags.

Cigar counterfeiters aren't really worried about trying to fool guys like us and are not going to expend the resources when there's plenty of suckers willing to buy their so-so goods at astronomical prices. So, their work is usually atrocious and you're probably not going to see better specimens unless they're counterfeits of the most expensive sticks.
[Reply]
Xgsdremix 04:43 PM 08-09-2012
Originally Posted by cmitch:
From a printer's standpoint, the bands look legit compared to the sample posted. Generally, counterfeiters do not get it even close to right when it comes to spacing between the design elements. I pulled your pic and enhanced it the best I could and I can clearly see the hologram is comparable. The hologram is applied through a separate operation from the gold foil. The kind of foil stamping done on these bands is the embossing. It is a much more difficult procedure than standard spot and stamp since a male and female die is involved. Plus, even the best foil stamping mis-registers somewhat. This is my opinion and even I can't be 100% unless I see the actual sticks. But, I don't see any red flags.

Cigar counterfeiters aren't really worried about trying to fool guys like us and are not going to expend the resources when there's plenty of suckers willing to buy their so-so goods at astronomical prices. So, their work is usually atrocious and you're probably not going to see better specimens unless they're counterfeits of the most expensive sticks.
Yes when I bought it from him he pointed out that the hologram is a way to know that it's legit. I also compared it to real and fake pictures online and it resembled the real one more. I'm going to ask him if he would sell me another one and I will post better pictures. If you don't mind can I message a few of the pictures to you? It seems to me you know a lot :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 04:47 PM 08-09-2012
Originally Posted by Xgsdremix:
Yes when I bought it from him he pointed out that the hologram is a way to know that it's legit. I also compared it to real and fake pictures online and it resembled the real one more. I'm going to ask him if he would sell me another one and I will post better pictures. If you don't mind can I message a few of the pictures to you? It seems to me you know a lot :-)
Why buy cigars you suspect to be fake? Even if only to get confirmation.
Provenance and a trusted source is paramount and it seems you have neither here.

Chalk it up to experience and move on.

:-)
[Reply]
Xgsdremix 04:54 PM 08-09-2012
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Why buy cigars you suspect to be fake? Even if only to get confirmation.
Provenance and a trusted source is paramount and it seems you have neither here.

Chalk it up to experience and move on.

:-)
True you have a good point. It's also very expensive
[Reply]
replicant_argent 05:28 PM 08-09-2012
It could also be a legit used band on a new bunko cigar.
[Reply]
cmitch 05:29 PM 08-09-2012
Originally Posted by Xgsdremix:
I know about the printing and production process. Not as much about the fake/real argument since I have smoked very few Cubans. 99% of the fakes are quite obvious. Misaligned bands, extremely misregistered print, bold print when it should be fine, etc.

The one thing I'm going on is the sample band Alohastyle posted. If his band is real, then I'm 98% sure yours is. Of course, nothing to stop someone from smoking a real Cuban, removing the band and putting it on a similar stick. That's where the trust pnoon is talking about comes from.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up